Texas Fishing Forum

Vacuum packed or frozen in water?

Posted By: Lollygagger

Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 03:11 AM

Which method keeps crappie fresher longer; vacuum sealed or frozen in a bag of water(ice)? What is a good brand or model of vacuum packing do y'all recommend?
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 03:54 AM

Frozen in water for as long as I can remember.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Frozen in water for as long as I can remember.

This...my great Uncle Clarence (rip) bought a vacuum sealer when they first came out...gave it away, said that fish don’t keep in them near as long as in water...
Posted By: Mr. Catchum

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 06:10 AM

Frozen in water in my opinion. It keeps the air away that's creates freezer burn. Water is cheap too!!! freak
Posted By: DNA

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 12:55 PM

Freezing uncleaned whole fish is best for me.
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 01:42 PM

I prefer the vaccum seal method. I don’t have issue with freezer burn. The benefit is that after you seal them you can flatten the packages and stack them in the freezer. Being flat they thaw much quicker than a block of ice. I do the same when I grind a deer. Just a personal preference
Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Bassthumb
I prefer the vaccum seal method. I don’t have issue with freezer burn. The benefit is that after you seal them you can flatten the packages and stack them in the freezer. Being flat they thaw much quicker than a block of ice. I do the same when I grind a deer. Just a personal preference

I agree! Vacuum sealer works great for me! pat the filets dry on paper towels then seal in packs! they last forever and thaw very quick. It is more expensive than water freezing though.
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 02:12 PM

I am in the same boat as the 2 previous posts. I vacuum seal all my fish. They lay nice and flat in the freezer, thaw quicker, and I have redfish in the freezer from 2 years ago, and look just like they did the day I froze them.

I used to freeze in water, but converted over when I started processing my own venison...and never looked back.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 02:32 PM

Vacuum packed , for the two reasons already listed.
MO
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 02:39 PM

Me too.
Foodsaver bags and vacuum packer. Just be sure to let the filets freeze some before you seal them because the vacuum packer will suck that fish juice into it and it wont seal as well and you'll be throwing that thing in the trash once it starts stinking.
Posted By: Thump My Jig

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 02:43 PM

Water. If filled right, bags lay flat so not an issue for me.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 02:48 PM

I use the sealer on the "half shell " fillets
Water on the rest
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Fisherdad58
Me too.
Foodsaver bags and vacuum packer. Just be sure to let the filets freeze some before you seal them because the vacuum packer will suck that fish juice into it and it wont seal as well and you'll be throwing that thing in the trash once it starts stinking.

+1 Sometimes if the seal does not look real good, I will seal again about a half inch above the first seal.

I pre-freeze mine about 25 minutes on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.

May seem like it is an ordeal but it is not when you considered will keep for years also the package is nice and flat
Posted By: TurboDan

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 03:42 PM

Started vacuum packing a year ago. Much prefer over freezing in water. Do smaller packs with 6 fillets since just wife and I. Fillets seem to come out firmer also. Like the fact i can stack. Might have to try pre freezing idea.
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 04:59 PM

Me too.

I fold up a paper towel and put it right inside the seal of the bag...so the towel is inside with the fillets...absorbs the water that is extracted during the vacuum wink
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: DNA
Freezing uncleaned whole fish is best for me.
Unless i`m having them that day,I just put em in a plastic ( Minyards) bag and freeze em.I`ve been appling this method for years and have never experienced freezer burn.Freeze them in their own skin + thaw & clean.What`s the big deal?
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 06:26 PM

Frozen in water for sure. I will vacuum pack venison and other read meats. Fish and chicken get frozen in water. As long as you have freezer space water is much better choice. I have eaten trout that were frozen in water for 2 years and they were fine. I just throw the fillets in a qt freezer zip lok and partially zipper it. Then I squeeze until I get all the air out making sure the fillets are completely submerged. Way easier than vacuum packing.
Posted By: Fish 68

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 06:29 PM

I use both methods and they both work well. I prefer Ziploc freezer bags and water only because it's faster. When vacuum sealing I use Foodsaver model #FM 2100 it has a tray to capture moisture. Makes it easy to clean. Also you can buy FoodVac bags on Amazon much cheaper than Foodsaver bags. Been freezing fish in water for 50 years. Fill Ziploc bag with fish and water make sure you get all the air out of Ziploc bag before sealing. I do this by sealing bag in bowl under water.
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump jumper
Frozen in water for sure. I will vacuum pack venison and other read meats. Fish and chicken get frozen in water. As long as you have freezer space water is much better choice. I have eaten trout that were frozen in water for 2 years and they were fine. I just throw the fillets in a qt freezer zip lok and partially zipper it. Then I squeeze until I get all the air out making sure the fillets are completely submerged. Way easier than vacuum packing.

lol that does not sound easier than vacuum packing !
Posted By: Ynot

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Jerky
Me too.

I fold up a paper towel and put it right inside the seal of the bag...so the towel is inside with the fillets...absorbs the water that is extracted during the vacuum wink

Yes it works great. Foodsaver has bags with this build in. Much cheaper doing it yourself.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 10:45 PM

Have always freezed in water. Has always worked well for me. thumb
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/12/18 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing

Plus one smile
Posted By: Papa John

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/13/18 01:49 AM

Frozen in water has never failed us for many years. The trick is to only freeze enough for a meal and get all the air out before you seal the bag.
Posted By: MeatHauler

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/13/18 04:20 AM

No difference in quality frozen in water vs a good vacuum seal for past a year to me. But if you're keeping over a year, maybe it's time to start catch and release...

No doubt freezing in water is the quickest and cheapest route, but it takes way too long to thaw out. It's much easier to deal with vacuum sealed fish later.
Posted By: slabcrazy

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/13/18 04:55 AM

Vacuum packed , for the two reasons already listed
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/13/18 06:48 AM

VP for me. I never keep fish more than about 4 months. If it is that old I give it to friends who are glad to get it.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Vacuum packed or frozen in water? - 02/13/18 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: serj5150
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing

Plus one smile
+2
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum