Texas Fishing Forum

When would you take vacation?

Posted By: spooncg

When would you take vacation? - 02/11/18 12:49 AM

Trying to plan a week off for crappie fishing and wanted to see what dates are usually best for you guys? I wasn’t sure if you guys plan around the moon phases, or dates based on avg temps. I’ll be fishing Texoma mainly so I’ll be a little further north than most of you.
Thanks
Posted By: Redfoxone

Re: When would you take vacation? - 02/11/18 01:58 AM

I'd like to know also
Posted By: SlabbedSilly

Re: When would you take vacation? - 02/11/18 02:00 AM

I've kept 15 years of data and have to find that the 21st of April has been the most consistent bite for me. I start my vacation about that time and have not been disappointed yet...just my personal experience.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: When would you take vacation? - 02/11/18 05:15 AM

March 5th through 2nd week of May...I’ve caught spawning fish all throughout those days.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: When would you take vacation? - 02/11/18 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: spooncg
Trying to plan a week off for crappie fishing and wanted to see what dates are usually best for you guys? I wasn’t sure if you guys plan around the moon phases, or dates based on avg temps. I’ll be fishing Texoma mainly so I’ll be a little further north than most of you.
Thanks

Hmmm, that is a delimina for sure...I used to take a week off when the kids were on spring vacation, and it always seemed like it was a week or two early for the “onfire spawn phase”...I know different schools have different weeks they let out, but I would gravitate toward the nearest full moon phase after spring break, for best guess purposes....I suppose you could go to the Farmers almanac and see if you could figure out when the dogwoods will start blooming...my solution was much simpler...leave the rat race, use saved up money/ previous investments to give me enough to do and income to keep me out of trouble...and just fish (or hunt) whenever the need/weather/opportunity offered. I got so tired of having to plan fishing around work, and it works much better for me the way I do it now...definatly not for everyone though. One thing I used to do while working was to take half days off frequently (and long lunches) and go hit the local creeks, community holes, etc., to satisfy my fishing urges. Interestingly, I met/maintained some really good customer relationships and was well regarded locally, as a result of my part time fishing forays. Hope this info is somewhat helpful.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: When would you take vacation? - 02/11/18 12:18 PM

march 19 on
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: When would you take vacation? - 02/11/18 12:39 PM

Full moon is March 31, so I would plan on the first week of April, and lets hope we have good weather. Should be some fish in all three phases. When I lived in NE OK, we always planned vacation the second week of April, and it worked out well most years.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: When would you take vacation? - 02/11/18 02:17 PM

April 1st - 7th I'll be smacking em at Fork... hooked
Posted By: Laner

Re: When would you take vacation? - 02/11/18 02:59 PM

For Texoma, assuming you're trying to be there around the spawn, I would pick mid April and cross your fingers the weather cooperates.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: When would you take vacation? - 02/11/18 03:04 PM

I too would pick mid April for the spawn to be full blown on Texoma.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum