Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie Reel Suggestions

Posted By: Aquiles

Crappie Reel Suggestions - 02/07/18 06:50 PM

Hey Guys could I get a suggestion of a good crappie reel , I have bought two and they just don't seem to last . I'm looking for something that is solid and will take abuse and as its often used by my nephew and taken out on my kayak. Any suggestions would be appreciated .
Posted By: DNA

Re: Crappie Reel Suggestions - 02/07/18 07:48 PM

Crappy reels are good enough for crappie fishing!!! roflmao

Just kidding! Pflueger President Spinning Reel and Abu Garcia Cardinal Spinning Reel are my picks. Cheap, relatively durable. I used them for bank fishing and kayak fishing.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Crappie Reel Suggestions - 02/07/18 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Aquiles
Hey Guys could I get a suggestion of a good crappie reel , I have bought two and they just don't seem to last . I'm looking for something that is solid and will take abuse and as its often used by my nephew and taken out on my kayak. Any suggestions would be appreciated .
Yumoshi EF1000 12 ball Bearings,front drag system,Fresh & Salt water usage,very tuff and VERY VERY inexpensive.Smoo.thest reels I`ve ever owned.Look up on Ebay.
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Crappie Reel Suggestions - 02/07/18 08:56 PM

Buy a good baitcaster lern to use it .No more line twist

Re: Crappie Reel Suggestions - 02/07/18 09:08 PM

Baitcast reels are not good for light lures like 1/32 oz, 1/16oz. Of cause it will be fine unless you buy an expensive one.

Originally Posted By: dwmoore
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Crappie Reel Suggestions - 02/07/18 09:10 PM

I like the 500 series Shimano's, but they're a little more expensive and getting hard to find.
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: Crappie Reel Suggestions - 02/07/18 10:46 PM

Agreed. I fish them exclusively when vertical fishing. 1/32 all the way up to 1/4 oz. You do more "pulling" of the line for depth than you do punching the button and waiting for the bait to fall wink
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Crappie Reel Suggestions - 02/08/18 12:31 AM

I found some with the flippin switch you don't have the turn handle to engauge reel
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Crappie Reel Suggestions - 02/08/18 01:09 AM

I got tired of pulling out those rats nests..after years of doing that...just went to spinners...no more rats nests! HA...
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: Crappie Reel Suggestions - 02/08/18 05:31 PM

I do like casting reels but there are times when I cast (Dock Shooting ) an I have never found one that will let me cast the ultralight lures I use . One of the things that is confusing me the most when buying a new crappie reel is the size it seems like every one I look up uses a different size marking . Right now I have a beautiful Okuma Avenger AV10b but would like to try something new about the same size 10.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Crappie Reel Suggestions - 02/08/18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat

I got tired of pulling out those rats nests..after years of doing that...just went to spinners...no more rats nests! HA...
Ever try N dock shoot a 1/64,1/32,1/16 or any crappie jig with a bait caster?

Re: Crappie Reel Suggestions - 02/11/18 02:26 AM

I don't thing you can do dock-shooting using baitcast.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum