Texas Fishing Forum

keeping fish separate ?

Posted By: Mo

keeping fish separate ? - 02/05/18 04:17 PM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...imits_wh#UNREAD

Has anyone here every been ticketed for keeping all fish in one livewell ?

MO
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/05/18 04:40 PM

Not me.......Not yet
We throw the fish in the front livewell.....depending on size, it holds approximately 25-27
Move them to back livewell, then finish
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/05/18 05:00 PM

I'll just say the 10 biggest are mine and the rest are Todd's. roflmao roflmao roflmao

Understand the rule, but is this applied the same way to all the weekend bass tourney guys? And why would it be OK for a guide and not three guys fishing for whites or catfish for themselves? Seems the law may be a little ambiguous. I'd say whoever owns the boat is taking the other two guys fishing and only needs a guide license if he's receiving compensation.
Posted By: TexMann1

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/05/18 06:05 PM

I got checked by the game wardens a few months ago. They both came onboard my pontoon. They looked at everything including the fish I had in an ice chest. There were 2 of us fishing but nothing was said about keeping the fish separated. They measured several fish.
Posted By: Laner

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/05/18 06:43 PM

All of our fish on the guided trips go into one cooler, and I've never had an issue with the warden. I think if I was walking the creek banks with my buddies, I would have my fish on my stringer only, but I personally don't split them up while on the boat.
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/05/18 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Laner
All of our fish on the guided trips go into one cooler, and I've never had an issue with the warden. I think if I was walking the creek banks with my buddies, I would have my fish on my stringer only, but I personally don't split them up while on the boat.

This is the same way I did it when I guided. Over the years, we were checked on several different lakes, and this topic never came up. Only question asked on fish is how many and they would, very rarely, ask to see fish for measurement.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/05/18 07:13 PM

all the green pants really want is to come on board to see if your boozing, because that generates big money, or to see some wet bikinis on board. The game wardens gain access to your boat under the pretense of doing a "safety inspection, same way highway patrolmen can pull a biker over to " inspect his bike". Its really all BS because they are stereotyping bikers to see if they are riding dirty.
So if you want to be left alone, what you do is go find the gamewarden if you know they are on the lake and request that they do a safety inspection of your boat. after that, they have no legal right of access to board your boat anymore that day, unless you exhibit proof of breaking the law. If they were to bother you again, you could file an oppression/impedement/harrassment suit against the dept,and likely win. dont tolerate oppression of your rights and freedoms.
Posted By: RODS454

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/05/18 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: leanin post
all the green pants really want is to come on board to see if your boozing, because that generates big money, or to see some wet bikinis on board. The game wardens gain access to your boat under the pretense of doing a "safety inspection, same way highway patrolmen can pull a biker over to " inspect his bike". Its really all BS because they are stereotyping bikers to see if they are riding dirty.
So if you want to be left alone, what you do is go find the gamewarden if you know they are on the lake and request that they do a safety inspection of your boat. after that, they have no legal right of access to board your boat anymore that day, unless you exhibit proof of breaking the law. If they were to bother you again, you could file an oppression/impedement/harrassment suit against the dept,and likely win. dont tolerate oppression of your rights and freedoms.

WOW! Nice stereotyping you got going there. Must be nice to know what every cop is thinking and why they are acting the way they do.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/06/18 02:10 AM

Never been an issue on my boat...ever. Gw’s occasionally ask me to show a life jacket, or fire extinguisher. Sometimes they want to see my liscense, assuming they don’t know me...only rarely do they ask me to show them a fish...they always ask if I am doing any good (they already know that answer cause they usually watch from a distance) just to see what I will say (Laugh out loud)...the GW’s in my world all know who I am and what I am about, so a visit from them is just that, a visit...not an interrogation...and I always ask if they need a bottle of water or a snack in case they have been pulling a double shift...that said, I have seen some GW’s in my life that were NOT that way (especially when I was a kid) and kind of hassled you about everything...guess it was the times, as most of my GW encounters the last couple of decades have been quite pleasant. They have a job to do, and I let them do their job.
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/06/18 02:21 AM

The Game Wardens I run in to are the nicest people around. If you respect them they will respect you.
Johnny
Posted By: RODS454

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/06/18 03:10 AM

"They have a job to do, and I let them do their job."
This is how I see it. If you've done nothing wrong they are gone in 5 minutes. I appreciate what they do, and I'm glad they police the alcohol consumption on our lakes. It just takes one idiot to ruin a persons day.
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/06/18 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: RODS454
"They have a job to do, and I let them do their job."
This is how I see it. If you've done nothing wrong they are gone in 5 minutes. I appreciate what they do, and I'm glad they police the alcohol consumption on our lakes. It just takes one idiot to ruin a persons day.

Great point. I've hunted and fished with game wardens, always fun! They have a job to do, just like you and I. I always enjoy talking to them if they have the time.
Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/06/18 06:11 PM

I don’t think there is a reg to keep seperate, but if a violation is found, everyone gets a ticket unless someone takes responsibility. For this reason, GWs like to see them kept seperate.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/06/18 06:24 PM

I wish they were on the lake more. texas
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/06/18 09:07 PM

No way they’d ticket you for that
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/06/18 09:09 PM

Never gave it much thought just throw them all on ice I might get some cutting board material and make some dividers in my igloo now!
Posted By: DPDALAN

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/07/18 05:57 PM

On the boat no need to separate them. On the bank or on a dock fishing, always.
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/07/18 06:23 PM

Ticket the boat owner, and do not have to worry about separating the fish. If they really want to be that picky.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/14/18 07:11 PM

I never thought about this subject until Mo brought it up. I e-mailed The Parks & Wildlife Department & received this in reply:

It's true that each licensed angler is legally responsible for his own daily bag limit: for example, if you are allowed to keep 25 crappie, your buddy can also keep 25 but he manages to catch only 10, that doesn't mean YOU get to keep 15 more. However, we usually depend on the honor system to enforce this. According to our chief of fisheries enforcement, Game Wardens have not generally expected folks to separate their catch on a fishing trip.

An exception to this might be shad collection, since we now have a container size requirement. Any person who is collecting shad in containers that total 82 quarts or more, for either personal or commercial use, needs a Permit to Possess or Sell Nongame Fish From Public Fresh Waters

Dyanne Fry Cortez
Web Coordinator, Inland Fisheries Division
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744
512-389-8055
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/14/18 08:10 PM

Remember that your partner(s) CAN keep the ones you catch after you're over 25. You just can't keep 30 and your buddy keep 20... Boats are allowed to keep the catches together, on the shore though each person is responsible for what is in their possession. If you bring your 5 year old to the creek and both limit, that 5 year old has to haul out their own stringer if you're keeping them. Even if they are on a separate stringer you can not carry both, you'd be in possession of more than your limit.

Eric
Posted By: Jacob

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/15/18 03:09 PM

I've only had one bad experience with a game warden... well two actually.

One came up on me at the lake in his big bay boat to check me. He was coming at me waaaaay too fast and T-boned the side of my boat. There wasn't any damage, rub rail caught most of it, but never apologized or anything.

The other time a game warden came to my parents house with an 8x10 picture of a buck I had killed. Woke my dad up. He was working night shift at the time. He asked him where the buck was tagged. Half asleep, my dad said,"In the woods." The game warden the said he meat where on the animal did we put the tag. Dad told him on the back leg. Apparently the warden came across the pic from someone who works with my Dad and the tag on the back leg wasn't visible in the picture. Even though it's completely legal to tag them on the leg, the warden thought it was strange that we didn't put the tag on the antler. After we told him it was at the taxidermist and processor, he said, "Nevermind then. I know you're legal if you sent them there."
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/15/18 03:49 PM

Sounds like he got some false information from someone on your deer.

"In the woods" , good answer!

That funny right there.
Posted By: MeatHauler

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/15/18 04:20 PM

Likely that very few people have ever been issued a citation for this, but don't go around thinking you're innocent until proven guilty. That just ain't so.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/15/18 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: RODS454
Originally Posted By: leanin post

WOW! Nice stereotyping you got going there. Must be nice to know what every cop is thinking and why they are acting the way they do.

If a person isnt breaking the law, they should not be bothered. As I said, the "safety inspection" is just an excuse to gain access to a vessel. If they were really concerned abt safety they would be at the ramps inspecting boats BEFORE launch. making sure that there are lifejackets for everyone, fire extinguishers, sober captains, seaworthy vessels, ect. Or have boat inspections at the wildlife and fisheries offices before the 2 year stickers are given.. Most folks got to the lake to get away from the rest of the world, and dont really enjoy being disturbed and given the shake down by anyone. If the game warden pulls out the foot long binoculars and sees a current registration sticker on the boat, and no unsafe or illegal activity, that should be all thats needed.
Its the deception used to gain access that I dont like. They know they cannot approach and detain you without cause, so to circumvent this right, they claim " safety inspection". If you dont believe you are being detained, just try to leave before they are done with thier " safety inspection"..
what you are really being subjected to is an unlawful detaining and criminal investigation without evidence or specific reason of wrongdoings.
when game wardens board your boat, they always ask to see a fishing license.. is it UNSAFE to fish without a fishing license? This is all just an excuse to spend more time evaluating you.
If you are wearing a PDF and a fire extinguisher is mounted in plain view, with the fill gauge clear and visible, you dont have a 200 horse motor on a 13 foot boat, or other unsafe things, what else would they have to check?
Posted By: crapicat

Re: keeping fish separate ? - 02/15/18 06:34 PM

Right or wrong, the “Rewards” collected by TPW, from trophy assessment fines, do embolden the game wardens to push the letter of the law, on occasion...o f course watching too many episodes of North Woods Law will do the same thing...new wardens are also more apt to push the limits of decency on occasion, as well.
That Said, a warden has more power than a Texas Ranger, and don’t need a warrant or even justifiable belief of a game violation to enter your residence. Further, anything they uncover regardless of type, can result in other agencies being called and violations cited, and it’s all perfectly legal. You want c
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum