Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie Cakes V2

Posted By: UJC

Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/23/18 03:05 AM

First, I want to acknowledge Matthew Carroll for introducing us to crappie cakes.

Tonight I fried them in our new pots. Used minimal oil. The finish product was exquisite. The new wrinkle I added was to use the original recipe and then stuff it in bell pepper rings. The one thing I would change would be to make the rings a little thinner. I could see these being a great appetizer or pot luck dinner type of thing. We are empty nesters but if I were serving more, I would add orange, red and yellow bell peppers for a more colorful presentation. Stuffed in onion rings, potato skins, etc., would be great too.

Tonight's din din.

Enjoy. I did!
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/23/18 04:21 AM

Looking good Jimmy thumb
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/23/18 04:58 AM

food Looks dang good Mr Chef!
Posted By: SK.

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/23/18 02:07 PM

cheers food food cheers
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/23/18 02:38 PM

food
Man, you just made my mouth water!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/23/18 04:20 PM

It just don't get any better! thumb
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/23/18 09:23 PM

looks great,, wish we could get some stuffed mirlitons, you know Katrina almost wiped them out. A few folks are trying to bring them back around new orleans area. they used to grow wild all over. many people have never heaqrd of a mirliton.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/23/18 10:24 PM

thumb food looks great, I'm going to have to try that
Posted By: cellis

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/24/18 12:40 AM

food
Posted By: KnightlingersGunDogs

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/24/18 01:34 AM

thumb
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/24/18 02:19 AM

woot

>E
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/24/18 01:27 PM

Like!....for some reason I can't eat raw green bell pepper...so I'd have to boil the rings untill tinder then stuff and fry them....great idea!
Posted By: Mo

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/24/18 02:55 PM

Looks wonderful
Where is the crappie cake recipe ?

thanks

MO

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/24/18 06:01 PM

Click this Link. Read 4th post from the bottom for original recipe. Enjoy!
Posted By: Mo

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/24/18 07:41 PM

Do you cook the crappie fillets first ? or do they go in the food processor raw ?

MO
Posted By: PMV

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/24/18 09:36 PM

if you want to cut out the oil try a air fryer they work great...
Posted By: TexExp

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/24/18 10:14 PM

Man that looks good Jimmy.
Very creative.
WTG

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/24/18 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Mo
Do you cook the crappie fillets first ? or do they go in the food processor raw ?

MO

Raw.

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/24/18 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: TexExp

Man that looks good Jimmy.
Very creative.
WTG

Thanks Tim. Tonight I am just basting fillets with a little (I mean little too) olive oil for the seasoning to stick good. Then I am searing in our new pots.
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/24/18 11:55 PM

Yum! This guy is gourmet cook, Lowrance wiz, crappie catching machine and has a face that could be a Hollywood actor double. What next?

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/25/18 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Beltonbanger®
Yum! This guy is gourmet cook, Lowrance wiz, crappie catching machine and has a face that could be a Hollywood actor double. What next?

frkazoid
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/27/18 12:20 PM

Dang it Jimmy, I see retirement is treating you harshly. Can’t believe you didn’t pair that meal with a nice white wine! Keep up the nice pic n eat posts...sure looks scrumptious... cheers

Oh yea, almost forgot to mention....after struggling to find a good crab cake mix in the supermarkets...I finally decided to just google homemade crab cake recipes...BAM...one of the best scratch recipes I ever used, popped right up...guess it is the “magic” of the internet!

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/27/18 09:07 PM

Dale, good to see you're back posting. The crappie cake mix I used was from scratch also using fine cornmeal. I didn't have any Zacharin's at the time.
Posted By: mayor (crappiepete)

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/30/18 03:11 PM

Good looking table fare......my phone did not ring......don't U have my number. Like Ur ideas of using bell pepper and other veggies. Tks for the ideas

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/31/18 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: mayor (crappiepete)
Good looking table fare......my phone did not ring......don't U have my number. Like Ur ideas of using bell pepper and other veggies. Tks for the ideas

WHAT??? Your phone didn’t ring...The first time I met Jimmy, his phone rang so much, I thought he was Hollywood agent for MGM!!...he talks on the phone so much, you would think he should have one surgically attached to his ear! Hmmm, maybe he was so busy scheduling actors for the upcoming film, he accidentially forgot to call...what say you Jimmy?

bow_down duel cheers

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 01/31/18 05:49 PM

Dale, I apologize for not responding sooner but I've been busy on the phone. Please understand I have only one mouth to go with two ears so I am not too good at multi-talking. I am preparing to fis... dangit, gotta go, incoming call!

Re: Crappie Cakes V2 - 02/01/18 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: UJC
Dale, I apologize for not responding sooner but I've been busy on the phone. Please understand I have only one mouth to go with two ears so I am not too good at multi-talking. I am preparing to fis... dangit, gotta go, incoming call!

roflmao roflmao...best laugh I had all week! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum