Texas Fishing Forum

Opinions on pre-made, artificial structure

Posted By: Naggler

Opinions on pre-made, artificial structure - 01/20/18 04:46 AM

I know I could look up all the past posts about what kind of wood/material is best or lasts longer or whatever. But I am out of time and too busy to go cut wood and get it into my stock tank in time to use it this spring...so I would like to buy some of those porcupine type dealie whoppers and chunk em out there. Does anybody have experience with any of these and if so what kind? Thanks in advance- fish
Posted By: ACAMS

Re: Opinions on pre-made, artificial structure - 01/20/18 05:40 AM

People that build their own use PVC pipe because it works, you don't get hung up as bad ..... AND it is hard to find on a fish finder.
Since you have a stock tank, the best thing to do is just cut and sink small trees!
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Opinions on pre-made, artificial structure - 01/20/18 05:55 AM

Go to www.porcupinefishattractor.com & Just buy the sphere and after that go the lowes/Home Depot and get the 1/2 pvc pipe and make your own porcupines. They will develope algea in a week or two and then the cycle will begin.Plankton ,baitfish & predators.Good Luck Naggler thumb
Posted By: Cast

Re: Opinions on pre-made, artificial structure - 01/20/18 02:00 PM

Those are the right way to do it.
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Opinions on pre-made, artificial structure - 01/20/18 04:55 PM

I think I'm gonna make my own like this. Using 6" PVC cut in half and 1/2" poly tubing.
https://www.amazon.com/Pond-King-Honey-A...YDJZQC3Q34VKT97
Posted By: pop r

Re: Opinions on pre-made, artificial structure - 01/20/18 09:58 PM

Make sure you don't have any beavers in your pond first. I have a 3 acre pond in Fairfield and I have installed the following structure in mine so far. Bill Dance spears with pvc, bamboo in cement, a large plum tree. large pvc with plastic tubing installed, several Christmas trees, and two large cedar trees. Within one week I had pvc and plastic tubing floating every where. They ate all the limbs and bark off the trees and used them for building their huts. They have eaten through several of my pier post. They have tunneled into my dam 6 years ago causing my dam to break. Cost me $4000.00 to get the dam repaired and restock. Have killed several beavers just to have more to move in each year. The only things that has lasted so for structure is treated 4x4 in cement and a old 10 ft. satellite dish.
Good luck!

Re: Opinions on pre-made, artificial structure - 01/20/18 11:13 PM

Do you think it is necessary to weigh them down if the tank is only 12' at deepest? Talking about the porcupine attractors...
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Opinions on pre-made, artificial structure - 01/20/18 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Naggler
Do you think it is necessary to weigh them down if the tank is only 12' at deepest? Talking about the porcupine attractors...

Yes..it needs to stay stationary with water level changes and current.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Opinions on pre-made, artificial structure - 01/20/18 11:40 PM

No weight was needed they sunk quickly. If I was going to put any in a larger lake I would use weight to secure them. Since mine are in my private pond I did use a plastic buoy and rope to mark each of mine but the Beavers cut the ropes.

Re: Opinions on pre-made, artificial structure - 01/20/18 11:40 PM

Thank ya fellas! thumb clap
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum