Texas Fishing Forum

Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP.

Posted By: Txmedic033

Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/12/18 11:27 PM

I went to LOP earlier today and while driving over the dam I saw a capsized boat in the water near the rip rap. I went to the boat ramp and Seth Vanover (G3bassbarge) had just trailered his boat. I told him what I saw and backed his trailer back into the water. He found one boater still alive and there was one still unaccounted for when I left the lake about an hour ago. The life jacket of the missing person was found on the bank near the capsized boat. Sad deal. WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET AT ALL TIMES!
Posted By: Glenn54

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/12/18 11:52 PM

That's terrible news. Glad you got the help of others to go check things out. It could have ended even worse.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/13/18 12:26 AM

Tragic...but without the quick action of you guys there would be two missing fishermen. Well done! Prayers for the one missing.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/13/18 12:37 AM

I’m glad you noticed this. Nice job. Sorry to hear about the missing boater.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/13/18 12:55 AM

Happens every single year on pines. That lake was rough I know for a fact with a NW wind. I’ve seen the stretch from Island View to Alley Creek look like fork before. About 3 years ago we were camped at buckhorn, a man and his wife were fishing and their boat capsized. We fished in front of the dam because they were scanning for his body around close to the yacht club and north towards hurricane. We got our limit and went back to the camper. We cleaned the fish and watch the game wardens pull up to the ramp, JP came down and pronounced the man dead. His wife was a total wreck. Wear your damn life jacket or don’t go fishing when the wind blows 15-20 out of the north.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/13/18 01:31 AM

Prayers for all concerned.
Posted By: bayoubob

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/15/18 01:28 AM

If you don't wear a PFD and use your kill cord at all times your not exercising wisdom. I see guys all the time think its a joke. I have had a couple of buddies die this time of year because of a simple things as not wearing a PFD. With the technology available today and the comfort level there is no excuse!!! Your family will pay the price for your stupidity!!!!
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/15/18 01:53 AM

I still don’t think they’ve found this guy.
Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/15/18 10:39 PM

I agree with Pintail. Wear the life jacket, but better yet just don't get on this lake when the wind is blowing hard out of the NW. I've been out there a time or two when I shouldn't have been and I was very relieved to get back to the landing and get out of there.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/15/18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: bayoubob
If you don't wear a PFD and use your kill cord at all times your not exercising wisdom. I see guys all the time think its a joke. I have had a couple of buddies die this time of year because of a simple things as not wearing a PFD. With the technology available today and the comfort level there is no excuse!!! Your family will pay the price for your stupidity!!!!

I totally agree....
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/16/18 01:53 AM

They finally found him.

http://m.kltv.com/kltv/db_330566/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=WYuKblWr
Posted By: mak123

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/21/18 09:32 PM

Blows me away. Another dead and no life jacket in this weather. The outcome is not a surprise.

What surprises me is the boats filling with water and capsizing. I do not understand how it is happening. The reports do not specify the type of boats. Is this boat maintenance, or wrong type of boat for the area or what? I just don’t get the number of issues reported this year.
Posted By: mak123

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/21/18 09:37 PM

Blows me away. Another dead and no life jacket in this weather. The outcome is not a surprise.

What surprises me is the boats filling with water and capsizing. I do not understand how it is happening. The reports do not specify the type of boats. Is this boat maintenance, or wrong type of boat for the area or what? I just don’t get the number of issues reported this year.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/21/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: mak123

Lose power and forget to keep the nose into the waves..one wave over the back will fill a boat. Next wave rolls it right over.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/22/18 01:12 AM

Things happen really fast. I've been in a life or death situation before. God decided it wasn't my time. Wear your life jackets.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/22/18 01:44 AM

I bought me a good rain suit last month because I am gonna fish a few tournaments and figured my PFD could fit over it. Well the rain suit wasn't quite big enough.

Took a little more time and asked the wife about buying the good stuff.

I got me a pair of Arctic Armor. I can wear my PFD under it BUT the suit alone will float the wearer and another person.

Best money/insurance/peace or mind for me and my wife I have spent.

Wear your PFDs please!
Posted By: SGT BALLARD

Re: Capsized boat with one still missing at LOP. - 01/23/18 04:56 AM

Originally Posted By: MrRoachie
I bought me a good rain suit last month because I am gonna fish a few tournaments and figured my PFD could fit over it. Well the rain suit wasn't quite big enough.

Took a little more time and asked the wife about buying the good stuff.

I got me a pair of Arctic Armor. I can wear my PFD under it BUT the suit alone will float the wearer and another person.

Best money/insurance/peace or mind for me and my wife I have spent.

Wear your PFDs please!

I got the Arctic Armor myself. One main factor is that it does act as a floatation device as well. Plus it keeps the cold away. I agree,best insurance,peace of mind,and best money spent for my safety.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum