Texas Fishing Forum

Sure life shad keeper on crappie minnows?

Posted By: Catfanman

Sure life shad keeper on crappie minnows? - 01/07/18 08:46 PM

Do y'all think if the next time I go Crappie fishing if I was to use sure life shad keeper combined with a airater would it keep the minnows alive longer than with just the bucket and airater and I know they have a product called finer shiner out there but I all ready have the shad keeper and this stuff is expensive
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Sure life shad keeper on crappie minnows? - 01/07/18 11:23 PM

Minnows should keep very easily with the winter temps. I don't think you need any water treatment this time of year.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Sure life shad keeper on crappie minnows? - 01/07/18 11:28 PM

Shouldn’t need a treatment ever, just keep an aerorator on them and change the water
Posted By: shady_grady

Re: Sure life shad keeper on crappie minnows? - 01/08/18 05:02 AM

if you are in the fish that are biting it does not matter if minnows or shad are alive or dead they will bite .
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: Sure life shad keeper on crappie minnows? - 01/08/18 06:43 PM

If your going to use a treatment use Better Bait. It's by the same People who make Shad Saver. It's for minnows.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Sure life shad keeper on crappie minnows? - 01/08/18 07:24 PM

I use this , https://www.amazon.com/B15-Marine-Metal-...mp+for+livewell one hose in livewell one hose in minnow bucket ( when I do use minnows )

I bought the larger airstones. Works great in hot weather in both locations.

Mo
Posted By: juggin4cats

Re: Sure life shad keeper on crappie minnows? - 01/09/18 03:35 PM

I have used Better Bait and Shad keeper both....work great. Shad keeper is what I use constantly now. As stated above, with the cooler weather they will do better. I have a 25 gallon tank that I keep mine in....usually buy them by the pound and use it for my left over minnows. The more minnows the more ammonia you will get in the water. Shad keeper takes out the ammonia and chlorine. Sure you already know this but dont use city water unless you pre-treat the water with Shad keeper or something to take out the chlorine.
Posted By: Epic

Re: Sure life shad keeper on crappie minnows? - 01/09/18 06:38 PM

Make sure you don’t just toss out the dead ones. Take a dead one and pinch it in half. Put half on a 1/16 jig head and fish away.

Sometimes down sizing the minnow will increase your catch rate.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Sure life shad keeper on crappie minnows? - 01/09/18 06:58 PM

a little sure life and this works great thumb

and never throw away dead minnows, they still work
Posted By: Laststop

Re: Sure life shad keeper on crappie minnows? - 01/11/18 11:58 PM

We use power bubbles 12volt. for up to 35 Gallon and kept minnows for 3 days with no problem.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum