Texas Fishing Forum

Medium action ugly stick

Posted By: Catfanman

Medium action ugly stick - 01/01/18 02:47 AM

I was wondering if a med powered ugly stick gx2 is sensitive enough to jig for Crappie?
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Medium action ugly stick - 01/01/18 04:07 AM

I get whupped with an ugly stick every time my partner goes fishing with me. He uses a 5'6" ugly stick and wears the crappie out.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Medium action ugly stick - 01/01/18 02:37 PM

Good tough rods, but there are much better rods in terms of sensitivity. Fishing minnows..no problem.
Posted By: Mac817

Re: Medium action ugly stick - 01/02/18 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Good tough rods, but there are much better rods in terms of sensitivity. Fishing minnows..no problem.
thumb
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Medium action ugly stick - 01/02/18 05:07 PM

I use them as a dock shooting rod. Love them.

I put the line over my finger so not so worried about sensitivity.
Posted By: Tony from Oak Point

Re: Medium action ugly stick - 01/03/18 12:40 AM

I've attempted some sort of quasi scientific tests in the past and the Ugly sticks perform pretty good as far as sensitivity goes. For rods a lot is how well you are calibrated with the bite and how well you watch the line and rod tip. I've caught tons of crappie on 12' B&M jig rods and a 6' Ugly Stick GX2 is a lot more sensitive by comparison. You can use braid or thin fluoro to amplify the bite. These days I'm usually "asleep at the wheel" so I use pretty sensitive rods lol.

Re: Medium action ugly stick - 01/03/18 01:12 AM

Heres the rod and reel picture of that helps
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Medium action ugly stick - 01/05/18 03:45 PM

Fishing beds? roflmao
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Medium action ugly stick - 01/05/18 08:10 PM

Go to the next on. Nothin holding on this bed. roflmao
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Medium action ugly stick - 01/05/18 09:58 PM

Use braid with a flouro leader. Drape the line over your index finger and you will feel the bites just fine when you are vertical jigging. I think the rod makes a difference when you are casting/reeling. Just my opinion.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Medium action ugly stick - 01/06/18 02:30 PM

Nothing wrong with an ugly stick

Re: Medium action ugly stick - 01/07/18 08:41 PM

Thanks for the imput guys sorry y'all can't see the rod and reel on the pic
Posted By: brazman

Re: Medium action ugly stick - 01/10/18 03:05 PM

After breaking a 2 piece graphite rod at La Mancha on Leon when an approx 12lb largemouth took my crappie jig, I made the switch that very day to Ugly Sticks. I have a small spinning combo and a baitcasting combo for vertical jigging. I don't want to ever lose a hog like that again if I can do anything at all to help it! I'll never forget that moment.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum