Texas Fishing Forum

Do any of you...

Posted By: smove

Do any of you... - 12/14/17 04:42 PM

Fish at night using jigs? Do you use the jigs any different than you would during the day? I have most of my luck using minnows at night. Any suggestions for jigs at night would be greatly appreciated. I've used them in crappie houses with some success, but out on the lake or in the creeks the crappie seems to hit minnows better. Let me know your thoughts.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Do any of you... - 12/14/17 04:49 PM

I have always done better with minnows at night. The one time I caught them good at night with jigs, I was using a white jig. I don't fish very much at night though so I don't have much to go off of though.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Do any of you... - 12/14/17 05:10 PM

I fish Possum Kingdom at night allot in the summer and catch quite a few crappie. Minnows work best but I've used a white jig by Giltmore tackle (fuzzy bug) that works well. Works even better when tipped with a minnow.

The places I fished were where a mercury light was close to the water drawing minnows naturally to that area. During the day, that area had very few fish but by nightfall the fishfinder was solid fish. I would use a 10 foot pole and pitch out about 12 feet of line and let the jig arc back to me. I'd either get a crappie or big perch almost every time.

Green lights have not worked well for crappie at night at PK. They draw too many sandbass and no crappie smart enough to live to be 10 inches will illuminate themselves in that light. Too many big bass, cats and stripers.

Good luck to you.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Do any of you... - 12/14/17 05:20 PM

I have had Great success at night using Jigs along bridge pillings & Standing Timber however it was`nt from the bank it was from an 18fter & using a floating light and a Jig & bobber setup with HV line. Even better success on the New Moon of the calendar. 2cents BTW: Great lookin jig PKfishin thumb
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Do any of you... - 12/14/17 05:34 PM

Night fishing on crappie barges: My GO-TO jig is Pink head, black and chart plastic.
Posted By: wooddiver

Re: Do any of you... - 12/14/17 05:40 PM

I use minnows with a jig below most the time the jig will catch the fish.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Do any of you... - 12/15/17 02:39 PM

Jigs work at night in boat slips
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Do any of you... - 12/15/17 02:52 PM

Yes they will hit a jig at night. I fish in the creeks in the pitch dark fishing under a lighted bobber.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Do any of you... - 12/15/17 03:32 PM

Certain jigs out fish minnows in my local night time stomping grounds. Day time as well...

Eric
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Do any of you... - 12/17/17 10:08 PM

I use a jig while watching the minner pole at night.

It can get awesome working that jig with a lighted cork over a spawning flat!!
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Do any of you... - 12/18/17 05:45 AM

Green lights on boat but do not do it doesn't work .
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Do any of you... - 12/18/17 05:41 PM

mine work
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum