Texas Fishing Forum

GPS question...

Posted By: bush hog

GPS question... - 12/13/17 12:02 AM

Parks and Wildlife put out some condos on one of the local lakes and they printed the coordinates in degrees,decimal minutes. An example of their format is N 32 2.4594 x W 94 26.3802. I had no luck finding the condo with these coordinates but I used a map with the approximate location and found the condo using side scan. My coordinates (Lowrance) are N32 02.461 x W94 26.383. I've looked all over the internet trying to find a format like they are using but no luck there either. Can someone help me out with this format and will it convert to the format I use (one less digit)? I know the decimal minutes are very close but that can lead you a long ways off your target.
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 12:33 AM

Try this site....

https://www.latlong.net/degrees-minutes-seconds-to-decimal-degrees
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 12:51 AM

https://www.latlong.net/
This may help
Posted By: UJC

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 01:05 AM

Don't get stressed or over think this. It is a common problem with TPWD coords. They are usually not precise for a variety of reasons: weather conditions, winds (boat movement), accuracy of unit providing data, the user and a little 'intentional'. By my measurements of the coords provided, the BP was 58.85' off; pretty close considering everything.

The coords they provided were in degree, decimal minutes. Just make sure your unit is set for the same format (looks to me it was), key in TPWD coords into the unit and you'll be ok - then start (as you did) searching that area to locate the BP. Sometimes the coords will be spot on.

BTW, TPWD has been known to drop some without documentation - a little personal honey hole for them and any helping locals.
Posted By: fishinman

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 01:48 AM

Aw man...TPWD would do something like that...makes me want to donate...

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 02:05 AM

Thanks guys. UJC I'm thinking I may not have entered the coordinates correctly. I'll try again in a few days. Kind of fun...like a scavenger hunt. It was so much easier just being a pot licker roflmao
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 02:10 AM

try www.earthpoint.us You won`t need an account to use it. scroll down to "Convert Coordinates" on the left side of page.I typed it in as N32 02. 4594 W 94 26.3802 and went right to it on the lake.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 03:16 AM

http://earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 03:19 AM

along with the conversion from degrees, minutes seconds, to degrees decimal,you must also convert within the same datum.

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
Parks and Wildlife put out some condos on one of the local lakes and they printed the coordinates in degrees,decimal minutes. An example of their format is N 32 2.4594 x W 94 26.3802. I had no luck finding the condo with these coordinates but I used a map with the approximate location and found the condo using side scan. My coordinates (Lowrance) are N32 02.461 x W94 26.383. I've looked all over the internet trying to find a format like they are using but no luck there either. Can someone help me out with this format and will it convert to the format I use (one less digit)? I know the decimal minutes are very close but that can lead you a long ways off your target.
PM sent
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 02:32 PM

Thanks for the post, have saved the web site, in case I ever need to convert.
Posted By: THarris22

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 03:08 PM

Was that the case on all the brush piles or just one of them?

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: THarris22
I couldn't get to the ones on the south side due to the wind. All the coordinates have one extra digit whiched confused me. The map and coordinates are posted on the parks and wildlife site. Lake murvaul
Posted By: UJC

Re: GPS question... - 12/13/17 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
along with the conversion from degrees, minutes seconds, to degrees decimal,you must also convert within the same datum.

Good point!
Posted By: DJB

Re: GPS question... - 12/14/17 12:59 AM

Good info fellows. My Garmin won't enter any of those coordinates from tpw. I'll try again. THANKS

Re: GPS question... - 12/14/17 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
Originally Posted By: THarris22
I couldn't get to the ones on the south side due to the wind. All the coordinates have one extra digit whiched confused me. The map and coordinates are posted on the parks and wildlife site. Lake murvaul
You are correct in that they are on the TPWD website but sometimes they will make a Typo by mistake.I jotted the coords down off the Lake Murval downloadable files page and entered them into my HDS unit using the "find coordinates" page and pulled all seven of the coords up from the cozy confines of my computer rm and it marked them in the same locations where the Lake Murval lake map page showed them to be.All that`s left to do now is navigate to them and fish . How KOOL is that? Tip: If there is one digit followed by a decimal( 2.) where there should be two digits followed by a decimal enter it like this( 02.) Also if the last set of digits( Long or Lat) has extra digits(00000) just enter the first three (000) and omit the others thumb I hope this helps
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum