Texas Fishing Forum

Tilapia From Lewisville

Posted By: DaBears

Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/24/17 01:20 PM

My friend and I were walking a creek off Lewisville yesterday and he pulled in, what I initially thought was a large bluegill from a distance, until I got a closer look.

I have heard of them being caught on rare occasions but this was the first I had seen.

Posted By: Sumfish

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/24/17 01:29 PM

Fly-fishing, jigging or how? Hope you gutted it instead of CPR. Eat or use for bait.

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/24/17 01:34 PM

It was caught while jigging for crappie. We did take it from the lake and ate it.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/24/17 01:47 PM

It actually looks like a bluegill to me, a very nice one!

The tilapia on Squaw Creek, a warm-water power plant lake, are blue tilapia, best adaptable of that group to water temps down to the mid-40s. Someone could drop tilapia into a creek or stream or the lake itself in Lewisville . . . but they shouldn't survive a normal winter.

Tilapia on Squaw Creek are often being caught well over 3 pounds.

Note the shape and size of its dorsal fin, the tail fin from photo of a blue tilapia from Squaw below.

Brad

Posted By: Catfish_Hunter

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/24/17 01:53 PM

That is definitely a tilapia. I'm glad you killed it. They definitely shouldn't be there.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/24/17 02:08 PM

Definitely a Tilapia. Doesn't surprise me that you caught it.. People let all kinds of fish go in the lakes around here.

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/24/17 02:36 PM

I have seen plenty of them posted from waters in south Texas, was shocked to see that one could survive the waters further North.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/24/17 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: DaBears
I have seen plenty of them posted from waters in south Texas, was shocked to see that one could survive the waters further North.
It was probably released during the Spring/Summer. From what I understand, they can grow really fast. The water got into the 40s a couple of time last winter and it wouldn't have been able to survive that.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/24/17 02:42 PM

There are a couple of ponds/canals on the east side of the lake, in a housing area. They are FULL of tilapia!! If it ever flooded, water runs straight into the lake.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/24/17 05:27 PM

My friend and I were walking a creek off Lewisville yesterday and he pulled in, what I initially thought was a large bluegill from a distance, until I got a closer look.

I have heard of them being caught on rare occasions but this was the first I had seen.

That up in Pecan (poo) creek? That background looks familiar

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/24/17 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan

That up in Pecan (poo) creek? That background looks familiar

Yup! Good eye
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/25/17 12:18 AM

You guys catch any crappie.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/25/17 12:43 AM

I could see them growing rapidly over a single year, then maybe surviving a mild winter. Eventually, no, they are tropical. My daughter and a neighbor had a private pond in Waxahachie and they could buy tilapia to wipe out vegetation. Voracious eaters, for sure. Then, they'd die.

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/25/17 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Grainraiser
You guys catch any crappie.

Not a single one! Put a few miles on our legs and tried casting everything we had.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Tilapia From Lewisville - 11/25/17 04:00 AM

I have caught a lot of Tilapia this year while fishing for Bluegill. Caught all of them on live night crawlers. Good eating fish. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum