Texas Fishing Forum

Bass Boats

Posted By: Sandblaster

Bass Boats - 11/24/17 06:42 AM

What is everyone's opinion on having an 18 footer vs 19 or even bigger? Pros vs Cons? I would like to eventually buy an 18 footer because they coast less money and would be easier to maneuver on a trailer when not in the water compared to a 19 plus footer. I currently have a 16' 11" aluminum deep v with 115 hp but would like to have something bigger and heavier and faster. I'm just not sure if I'll regret buying a 19 foot plus boat.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Bass Boats - 11/24/17 09:33 AM

If you can afford it and store it, buy the biggest.
Posted By: fishinman

Re: Bass Boats - 11/24/17 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
If you can afford it and store it, buy the biggest.

This....
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Bass Boats - 11/24/17 02:14 PM

Bigger is always better. You won't regret the 19fter
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Bass Boats - 11/24/17 02:58 PM

I fish a 19 ft BassCat. Best fishing platform I've been in for that length boat. And I'd like to have a 20 ft. You can get most 19 ft bass boats on a single axle trailer. 20 ft and up will have tandem axles which is harder to maneuver by hand. Most people will say an aluminum boat is lighter and better on gas. That's true if you're talking flat bottom boats. But deep V aluminum boats sometimes weigh more than a comparable fiberglass boat.
If you make the switch, you'll wish you hadn't waited so long to get this type of boat. As stated above, if you can afford it and store, buy the 19 fter.
For the money, the Nitro Z18 or Z19 are hard to beat.
Posted By: DOFC

Re: Bass Boats - 11/25/17 12:33 AM

When you are talking about maneuverablility when not in the water, do you mean moving the trailer around on the driveway or in the garage. If so a lot of people do not know how difficult if not totally impossible to move a tandem axle in anything but a straight line. What I mean is that you can't wiggle it around to get it closer to the wall of the garage like you can with a single axle. The line you drop it on is the line it is going to stay on until you hook up again.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Bass Boats - 11/25/17 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: DOFC
When you are talking about maneuverablility when not in the water, do you mean moving the trailer around on the driveway or in the garage. If so a lot of people do not know how difficult if not totally impossible to move a tandem axle in anything but a straight line. What I mean is that you can't wiggle it around to get it closer to the wall of the garage like you can with a single axle. The line you drop it on is the line it is going to stay on until you hook up again.

Exactly.
Posted By: BigCaseyB206

Re: Bass Boats - 11/26/17 03:47 AM

Liking my 206 Champion and haven't had any problems fishing for crappie
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Bass Boats - 11/26/17 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Sandblaster
What is everyone's opinion on having an 18 footer vs 19 or even bigger? Pros vs Cons? I would like to eventually buy an 18 footer because they coast less money and would be easier to maneuver on a trailer when not in the water compared to a 19 plus footer. I currently have a 16' 11" aluminum deep v with 115 hp but would like to have something bigger and heavier and faster. I'm just not sure if I'll regret buying a 19 foot plus boat.
Best to get advice from someone that has one. Some who comment don`t .
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Bass Boats - 11/26/17 03:26 PM

I have an 18'8" VIP Bay Stealth and a 20'2" Skeeter SL210. The Skeeter is the much better platform to fish out of. If you can afford the larger, and have a place to park it, there is only one choice. BIGGER! But the comments about moving them are correct.
Posted By: fishinman

Re: Bass Boats - 11/26/17 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby

Exactly.

No doubt...21’ owner...maneuverability and storage 2 biggest concerns...had my garage built 4’ deeper to accommodate a bigger boat even though I didn’t own one yet...

Good luck and good fishin’...
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Bass Boats - 11/26/17 08:50 PM

I have a 618 Phoenix with a 150 Yamaha SHO. For 1 person it fishes great, 2 people is good, 3 people is crowded and I don't care about having 4 people in it again. It had a tandem axle trailer upgrade and I can agree with everyone else....it's hard to move but I feel a lot more secure pulling a tandem.
Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service

Re: Bass Boats - 11/26/17 11:12 PM

I fish out of a 21ft Skeeter. I would recommend getting the biggest boat you can afford. You will never regret it!
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Bass Boats - 11/26/17 11:22 PM

I beg to differ. These make it very easy. http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12517045/1
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Bass Boats - 11/27/17 06:34 AM

Do you fish alone and if not how many do you want to take out? I have a 18' Champion and I fish 90% of the time alone. It works great for me. Handles rough water well and easy to trailer. I would like a 20+ boat but can't justify the expense. Mine fishes 2 adults fine but I'd never put 3 on it because it is a narrow boat. Me and two Grand Kids crappie fishing gets a little crowded because of the dual console. If I was to fish with a partner more often then I'd really want to be in a 20-21 footer for sure, if nothing else, for the storage space.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Bass Boats - 11/27/17 03:07 PM

Look at the Nitro Z18 which is 18' 8" long. I have one and it rides great and is dry (unless you are in four foot rollers like Ray Bob two weeks ago). I have one and there is a ton of storage (I currently carry 20 crappie rods in it and will fit 8' rods) and the front deck is huge. We fished three big guys on it for a tournament and had plenty of room to maneuver on the deck. I loaded mine (175 Pro XS, Tandem trailer, jack plate, Xi5, Gen 3 HDS 12 and custom colors) and kept it just under 40 grand. That 175 pushes it at 65 mph with a tournament load and full of gas (44 gallons) and I can just skip across 2' to 3' chop with no issues. It fits in my standard garage on a 45 degree angle and since it is under 3500GVW, I can tow it with my Jeep Grand Cherokee or wife's Ford Explorer.

Best boat out there when you compare the value/cost.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Bass Boats - 11/27/17 06:14 PM

That front graph will work alot better if you take the cover off it Ron!!! roflmao

Re: Bass Boats - 11/27/17 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Slewfoot
That front graph will work alot better if you take the cover off it Ron!!! roflmao

Nah, I hate seeing fish on a pile and knowing that I can't catch them!!!
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Bass Boats - 11/28/17 03:07 PM

That front graph will work a lot better if you take the cover off it Ron!!! roflmao
roflmao

good lookin' sled thumb

Re: Bass Boats - 11/28/17 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: bogey♂
That front graph will work a lot better if you take the cover off it Ron!!! roflmao
roflmao

good lookin' sled thumb

Thanks Bogey.

When we fishing Lavon?
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Bass Boats - 11/28/17 10:35 PM

I have a Z8 Nitro love it .
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Bass Boats - 11/29/17 12:55 AM

He’s too worried that the screen will get dirty. I keep telling him we would do better in tournaments if we actually used the graphs.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Bass Boats - 11/29/17 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueNitro

Thanks Bogey.

When we fishing Lavon?

I am willing. My schedule is kinda hectic as I coach my sons soccer team, but I do want to hop on with ya and rip some lips.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum