Texas Fishing Forum

4 vs 6

Posted By: kdub#1

4 vs 6 - 11/07/17 03:53 PM

I have been fishing with 6 lb line mostly suffix seige and pro mix.
The other day caught a bunch slow rolling a 1/16 oz jig on the bottom but I know they wanted a 1/32 even more. Problem is I can't throw a 1/32 vry far or feel it very will with 6 lb.
I just spooled a reel with 4 lb stren, and can cast the sucker from my garage way into the street lol.

I'm gonna keep 6lb on my jigging rod because I get hung up a lot jigging.

What are your thoughts on 4 lb vs 6lb?
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: 4 vs 6 - 11/07/17 03:59 PM

I shoot docks with 4lb all the time. Comes off the reel much faster than 6lb and less memory as well wink
Posted By: Mac817

Re: 4 vs 6 - 11/07/17 08:58 PM

4 lb.mostly 6 lb when I want a slower fall.
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: 4 vs 6 - 11/07/17 09:41 PM

I can't keep 6 lb. from breaking. I'd never be able to catch anything on 4 lb.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: 4 vs 6 - 11/08/17 04:41 AM

I use 4 when fishing in more open water. If your casting I would assume your fishing more open water. Use whatever gets the job done.

Re: 4 vs 6 - 11/08/17 03:53 PM

I've found a key with 4lb line to be setting your drag much lighter...to where you hear/feel it on the hook set...and then net the fish when they get to the boat instead of hoisting them overboard.
Posted By: Mo

Re: 4 vs 6 - 11/08/17 04:14 PM

The thing about 4 lb test is there is no room for error. You have to tie good knots ,
re-tie often. If fishing cover , re-tie every time it gets nicked. The shelf life on
4 lb is much shorter than higher lb test. Heat and light are the enemy . When I used to
fish 4 and 6 lb , I would store my rods in the house, and replace the line at least
twice a season.
It is hard to break 4 lb test ( fresh with a good knot) with just rod pressure. try
it sometime. Old line , bad knots , will quickly degrade 4 lb to 2 lb or less,

good luck

MO
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: 4 vs 6 - 11/08/17 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Jerky
I shoot docks with 4lb all the time. Comes off the reel much faster than 6lb and less memory as well wink

what weight jigs are you throwing sir,.. fish

Re: 4 vs 6 - 11/08/17 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
Originally Posted By: Duck_Jerky

what weight jigs are you throwing sir,.. fish

In general: 1/16 in Spring and Fall...1/32 in Summer and Winter. I'll have a rod rigged with both weights all the time, but that's the general plan of attack wink
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: 4 vs 6 - 11/08/17 11:06 PM

The strength of 4# these days is great, I have been using it for most of the time. I even bought some 2# for tiny jigs. But I also fish for trout.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: 4 vs 6 - 11/09/17 01:18 PM

Rod length makes a difference in casting distance. I like the 9 footer when casting jigs. Could be that I am doing something wrong, but I rarely use 1/32 jigs.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/10/18 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: kdub#1
The other day caught a bunch slow rolling a 1/16 oz jig on the bottom but I know they wanted a 1/32 even more. Problem is I can't throw a 1/32 vry far or feel it very will with 6 lb.
I just spooled a reel with 4 lb stren, and can cast the sucker from my garage way into the street lol.

Have you considered a tandem 1/32? Or a more sensitive rod? Or adding a split shot a foot or so above a 1/32 jig? Or a line with less stretch/ better feel? Or using a slip or fixed cork tp produce the same result, or a different jig type. There are a lot of variables for you to consider, other than just line size. Can’t pretend to know the answer here, but re-think everything so that you can get the desired results! Hope you figure it out and go get some more of those crappie.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/10/18 01:28 AM

I used to used 4 pound sometimes. Now, I can’t see it without reading glasses, so the smallest I go is 6. If that close up vision keeps getting worse, I will either bring reading glasses, or go up to about 40 pound test.
Posted By: sae

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/10/18 01:47 AM

Well you might as well get you some cheaters cause itdon't get no better and it do,nt stay the same, assuming
youare over 40.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/10/18 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: sae
Well you might as well get you some cheaters cause itdon't get no better and it do,nt stay the same, assuming
youare over 40.

I am over 40. I just don’t like taking readers on the boat. I’m really immature for my age.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/10/18 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Davedave
Originally Posted By: sae
youare over 40.

I am over 40. I just don’t like taking readers on the boat. I’m really immature for my age.
Try using Hi Viz line.
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/10/18 02:49 AM

lol Dave, give it time. Eventually you'll get better at ignoring the inconvenience. roflmao
Posted By: jasonslabseeker

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/10/18 03:24 AM

If only there was 5 lb line
Posted By: leanin post

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/10/18 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: kdub#1

do you PRESTRETCH your new line? it makes a huge difference. prestretch it till it lays fairly flat and limber. try P LINE
Posted By: Dutch1947

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/10/18 04:36 AM

IMHO, 4 and 6 lb line is only good for one thing, polluting every piece of structure it comes in contact with. I can't begin to tell you the number of times I get hung up on fishing line. Once it's in the lake it lasts dozens of years. I fish 20 pound (6 lb diameter) Power Pro Super Slick Braid with about 4 feet of 8 lb Flourocarbon leader. When you hang up in other folks 4 pound line you can usually get your jig back. You might even be able to pull forty or fifty yards of that junk out of the lake as well. Like I said, JMHO.

We had the same problem on the Kenai River up in Alaska. People just loved to fish with 15 lb line and try to land a 50 lb to 70 lb King Salmon. There are miles of that light line that will pollute that River for many years to come. JMHO

P.S. 8 lb Flourocarbon is easy to see with my 71 year old eyes, and anyone who know me knows I don't have any trouble putting a limit of Crappie in the boat. Especially true using Lipripper Baits, PePops Hand Tied Jigs, Bubba's Hand Tied Jigs, or Balinda's Thermocline Baits.
Posted By: old76angler

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/11/18 02:48 AM

thumb
Posted By: Fish 68

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/11/18 08:02 PM

From another 1947 model Dutch is right on but I only use a 18" leader. 4# test line what line?
Posted By: Dutch1947

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/11/18 09:25 PM

I use 8 lb Gold colored Vanish.
Posted By: moonriver

Re: 4 vs 6 - 02/12/18 12:03 AM

popcorn2
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum