Texas Fishing Forum

camping in Texas

Posted By: kjp

camping in Texas - 11/08/16 03:10 PM

I am looking for ideas for a good camping location that is family friendly. i just camped at lake Bridgeport at the Wise Co. park and it was a lot of fun. looking for a new and exciting spot. any ideas are appreciated.
Posted By: ArgyleFloater

Re: camping in Texas - 11/08/16 03:36 PM

Lake Ray Roberts Isle Du Bois or Johnson Branch are good parks
Posted By: 4967

Re: camping in Texas - 11/08/16 04:43 PM

Bonham State Park, Purtis Creek State Park and Lake Tawakoni State Park are ALL very family friendly!
Just a short drive out East!
Life's better outside...
Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: camping in Texas - 11/08/16 07:59 PM

Caddo Lake State Park - you will be hard pressed to find a prettier place in TX and don't miss the Graceful Ghost steamboat tour:http://www.caddolake.info/tours.htm
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: camping in Texas - 11/08/16 10:12 PM

I just booked reservations for Colorado bend in March banana seeing that youre in ft worth you might check out Possum Kingdom or head south to Hams creek on the Brazos river.

Re: camping in Texas - 11/08/16 10:29 PM

Lake Mineral Wells State Park is great also.
We are blessed in Texas with great state parks!
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: camping in Texas - 11/09/16 05:28 PM

campsite 81 @ PK State park
Posted By: Luke57

Re: camping in Texas - 11/12/16 03:08 PM

Our #1 is Ray Roberts st park Johnson branch
#2 mineral wells st park
Also look into getting a State park pass well worth it
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: camping in Texas - 11/14/16 02:28 AM

The best state parks near dfw we have found are glen rose, mineral wells and cleburne. They all just have a very limited number of campsites. Joe Pool used to be a good state park as well but the flood a couple of years ago took its toll. A good portion of it is still closed and they are clearing a lot of the ceaders now to restore the grasslands.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: camping in Texas - 11/14/16 02:35 AM

The parks at Pine Creek Lake north of Garvin, OK are really nice. Also, McGee Creek Lake between Antlers and Atoka, OK is a nice one. Both of these are very scenic with large campsites on the water, and they don't run radar in them like in Texas. You have to get out of Texas to find the best state and Corp of Engineer parks. The best are in Arkansas but probably too far for you.

Re: camping in Texas - 11/17/16 06:05 PM

The TP&W parks app is nice but I wish you could book a camp site on it. I do like that you can filter the parks down to what you're looking for in a camp site (water and electricity) and what your looking to do (fishing, hiking, equestrian trails, etc). They even have park maps on there.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/app/
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: camping in Texas - 11/19/16 10:30 PM

Tyler State park and get one of the premium water front sites. Offers good fishing and trail to walk around the lake.
Posted By: Kevin R.

Re: camping in Texas - 11/24/16 01:33 PM

Rusk state park, pedernales falls state park, Tyler, both Ray Roberts and Eisenhower state parks have been the most family friendly I have been to. We just got back from a west Texas trip where we hit Caprock canyon, palo duro canyon and coppers breaks state parks. All 3 are very scenic but not much to do but hike. Caprock was great for wildlife.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: camping in Texas - 11/29/16 06:14 PM

Mineral Wells Park has been mentioned and I was there this year and was looking to make plans to go back. Noticed there is a park nearby where you can hunt for fossells also if you are in to that kind of thing. Me and then wife and kids and grandkids are planning on heading that way pretty soon now that we have cooler weather.

Re: camping in Texas - 11/30/16 01:43 AM

You talking about Glen Rose?
Posted By: JCG57

Re: camping in Texas - 12/01/16 02:53 AM

When our kids were young we used to camp at Tyler State Park every year. Daingerfield State Park is also very nice for families.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: camping in Texas - 12/01/16 02:54 AM

And it is over the border, but Broken Bow State Park in Oklahoma is a wonderful park for a family camping trip.

Re: camping in Texas - 12/01/16 04:06 AM

Is that the same as Beavers Bend? Beavers Bend is great!
Posted By: Buddy E

Re: camping in Texas - 12/13/16 09:09 PM

Tyler State Park is good place for family camping
Posted By: blooper961

Re: camping in Texas - 12/17/16 05:24 PM

There is no fish at Joe Pool
There is no swimming hole at Joe Pool
There is no Marina at the state park in Joe Pool
There is no crappie house in the state park at Joe Pool.
But they cut trees down to grow grass

Re: camping in Texas - 12/19/16 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: blooper961
There is no fish at Joe Pool
There is no swimming hole at Joe Pool
There is no Marina at the state park in Joe Pool
There is no crappie house in the state park at Joe Pool.
But they cut trees down to grow grass

I have seen several people pull good sized white bass out on the side of the park near the perch pond. State parks can only do so much with the funding they get so they focus on what they can do. The flooding was really devastating to the park. IMHO the cutting of the cedars to restore the grasslands is a good thing. They are an invasive species. Back in the early days of what is now DFW, surveyors had to reference trees sometimes miles away because thats how far you had to go to find them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum