Texas Fishing Forum

favorite texas beer

Posted By: jae011

favorite texas beer - 03/19/11 07:17 PM

whats your favorite texas beer? i like ziegenbock. i hear firemans #4 is pretty good.
Posted By: Napa

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/19/11 10:46 PM

cold and open
Posted By: hunglikeaBASS

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/20/11 12:47 AM

cold and free!!!
Posted By: Starless

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/20/11 07:54 AM

Jester King's Black Metal Imperial Stout. Brewed near Austin, 10.4%, and fantastic.

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-jester-king-black-metal-imperial-stout
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/20/11 01:10 PM

Shiner Kosmos
Posted By: Catchin'_Lugers

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/20/11 01:52 PM

Lonestar Light, Firemans 4, Blanco Real Ales, Any Shiner, Alamo, Ziegenbock(dont think its brewed here though), Live Oak Hefe and Big bark amber Lager are good. IMO
Posted By: J.Mays97

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/20/11 07:39 PM

Shiner
Posted By: Joseph H

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/20/11 08:37 PM

Samuel Smith.
Blanco Real Ales.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/20/11 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: josephah2000
Samuel Smith.
Blanco Real Ales.

Real Ale is brewed in Texas, yeah, and they make some great stuff. I like their Full Moon Rye Pale Ale, and their Sysiphus Barleywine, as well as their Kraken, the oak aged version of their Highland Scotch Ale.

But Samuel Smith is an English brewery, lol.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/20/11 10:55 PM

Shiner Bock
Posted By: EN591

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/21/11 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigbob_FTW
Shiner Kosmos

+1 - still waiting for a 6 pack to be created though.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/21/11 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: EN591
Shiner Kosmos

I keep hoping they'll do the 100 again.

I also keep hoping they'll start thinking outside the box and producing some bigger, bolder beers like some of the other better Texas breweries. ( Like Jester King, Real Ale, Saint Arnold's Divine Series, Freetail, (512), Southern Star, and lately, even Rahr And Sons. )

Rahr and Sons Snowmageddon Imperial Stout, brewed in Fort Worth, is another of my favorites from Texas nowadays.
Posted By: imgonefishing

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/21/11 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Starless
Rahr and Sons Snowmageddon Imperial Stout, brewed in Fort Worth, is another of my favorites from Texas nowadays.

I was looking at it the other day but could not bring myself to pay $8.99 for a 22oz bottle of it. Bought a 6 of ugly pug instead.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/22/11 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: imgonefishing

I was looking at it the other day but could not bring myself to pay $8.99 for a 22oz bottle of it. Bought a 6 of ugly pug instead.

It's well worth it. Also, at Majestic its 7.99.

It's 5-10 times the beer Ugly Pug is, easily.

Plus, as an Imperial Stout it's about 10 percent, so at 22oz, that's nearly 4 beers in one.

Delicious. And very limited. Once it's sold out, it's gone till next February.
Posted By: David Cole

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/22/11 10:31 AM

Shiner
Posted By: SFAbassguy

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/22/11 05:15 PM

free and lone star light.
Posted By: elbandito78

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/22/11 09:13 PM

St Arnold Christmas. Makes me wish it was Christmas already. Lol.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/22/11 09:16 PM

Possibly the best beer brewed in Texas these days.

Jester King's Black Metal Imperial Stout. Owns your face.

Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/22/11 10:44 PM

Looks like motor oil

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/22/11 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker

Looks like motor oil

Yup! Looks like what it is, delicious 10.4% Imperial Stout deliciousness.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/24/11 03:25 AM

where do you get the Jester King's

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/24/11 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: jae011
where do you get the Jester King's

Right now, the easiest place to find it is usually on tap at good beer bars, quite a few in the DFW area have recently been pouring it. The Flying Saucers, The Gingerman, Lazy Bones in Grapevine, Holy Grail in Plano, Meddlesome moth in Dallas, etc. Don't know which still have it, but all of those had it previously.

You'll be able to find it soon throughout fine Liquor Stores across the state of Texas, especially in the Big Cities. DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc. You should also be able to find it at places that sell fine beers like Central Market, Whole Foods, etc.

The first batch of the bottled version is likely already sold out, though. Thanks in large part to the TABC dragging their feet as usual. Jester King, the brewery, had Black Metal, the name of that particular beer, all bottled and ready to go. But they're a new brewery, and the TABC hadn't yet "approved" that beer and it's label for sale in Texas. But Jester King had beer sitting on shelves and production costs to recoup, so when they had offers for purchase and sale in other states, they had to give in and send most of it out of Texas. By the time the TABC had approved it, they had very little left for their home state.

But don't worry, Jester King is getting ready to ship a MUCH larger batch brewed just for the state of Texas to make up for it, and so in a few weeks you should be able to pick it up just about anywhere that sells fine beers.

They're from the Austin area, and I think there may be still be a few bottles on shelves in that area. Once they ship out the next batch, though, there should be plenty for everyone.

I only got mine by sheer luck, went into a beer store I like, and they had just so happened to have gotten in a single case of it, that day. And by the end of the day, that case was gone.

Anyway, here's the website for the brewery. They're quickly becoming my favorite Texas brewery.

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/01-home/
Posted By: Garfish 3

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/24/11 05:06 PM

St Arnolds and Shiner.
Posted By: The Rodfather

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/25/11 01:05 AM

Lone Star Light

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/25/11 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: bentrod26
Lone Star Light

Doesn't count anymore lol. It's brewed by Pabst, in Illinois, so its no longer a Texas beer.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/25/11 10:46 AM

Shiner for sure......try Holiday Cheer next Christmas, um, um, good!
Posted By: Brett Olson

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/26/11 01:30 AM

shiner
Posted By: roachdaddy

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/26/11 02:27 AM

Shiner 101
Posted By: fwbret/txfishes

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/26/11 03:21 AM

Lone Star Light

Doesn't count anymore lol. It's brewed by Pabst, in Illinois, so its no longer a Texas beer.

I thought it didn't count because it wasn't beer.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/26/11 03:52 PM

+2 Awesome brew, just wish I could find it by the case.
Posted By: derik d

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/26/11 06:20 PM

I like the freestyle wheat beer by the Independence brewery in Austin alot. 512 has some good stuff also.

Jester King's Black Metal Imperial Stout. Brewed near Austin, 10.4%, and fantastic.

Thanks for sharing that, I wonder why I havent heard yet, but thanks.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/27/11 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: derik d
I like the freestyle wheat beer by the Independence brewery in Austin alot. 512 has some good stuff also.

Thanks for sharing that, I wonder why I havent heard yet, but thanks.

You probably haven't heard of Jester King yet because they're a very, very new brewery. Even newer then (512). In fact, the Black Metal I posted, and their WytchMaker Rye IPA are their first two bottled beers, before that it had been draft only.

Speaking of the Black Metal Imperial Stout and Wytchmaker Rye IPA, I should point out that both are currently in stores now. All your high end beer stores should have some in stock across Texas now. In DFW places like Halls, Grapevine Beer and Wine, Lone Star Beverage, and possibly some Central Markets and Whole Foods should have them in stock or be getting them soon.

I'd like to say that Majestic Liquors will also carry them, as they usually have a stellar selection of craft brews. However, they were recently bought out by Centennial, and Centennial is changing the way they order and stock their craft beers. Because Centennial makes their money of liquor, and to a lesser extent wine. According to a friend I have who works for Majestic, that means Centennial doesn't gave a crapp about craft beer, and is already making it much harder to get new things in stock. But that's a different rant.

Hopefully Majestic will get in some Jester King products as well, especially since it's brewed right here in Texas.

Anyway, Black Metal Imperial Stout and Wytchmaker Rye IPA on store shelves now!

Also, yes, Independence is a great little brewery too. Which their beers were available in bottled form more often up here. And I really enjoy (512)'s One and Two, their anniversary beers, as well as their Bourbon Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter. Good stuff!
Posted By: seaaggie

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/27/11 11:25 PM

I have to vote for shiner. any of their varieties
Posted By: TonyH.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/28/11 07:25 PM

Any Shiner dark or stout,

I like beer it makes me a jolly good fellow cheers

My local package store has thousands to choose from, and they let you mix and match in a six pack for 12.00 as long as each is from a different brewery

Most of the spicy beer brewed today is fun going over the palate.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/29/11 12:40 AM

shiner family pack is dang hard to beat
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/29/11 12:34 PM

shiner blonde
Posted By: THE_COACH

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/03/11 06:42 PM

PEARL?
Posted By: daddystog

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/03/11 11:59 PM

if any of those others are any better than Shiner on tap at Mary's in Strawn , keep me away ! I have to lean forward to see My toes now
Posted By: river-rat

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/04/11 01:12 AM

shiner
Posted By: GunsUp18

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/04/11 01:28 PM

For research purposes on Friday I drank a Shiner Family Reunion. On Saturday at the Josh Abbott concert I drank Lonestar for the first time. I actually enjoyed Lonestar more.

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/04/11 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Raider18
For research purposes on Friday I drank a Shiner Family Reunion. On Saturday at the Josh Abbott concert I drank Lonestar for the first time. I actually enjoyed Lonestar more.

its good to do research
Posted By: GunsUp18

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/04/11 06:36 PM

Lone Star Light

No Lone Star is now brewed by Miller Brewing in Ft Worth, TX
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/04/11 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: hunglikeaBASS
cold and free!!!

yes that is the best right there...but if I have to buy it, give me Shiner 102, Shiner Blonde or Shiner Black.
Posted By: Keith Stone!

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/04/11 09:40 PM

For guzzling, St. Arnold's Summer Pils

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/05/11 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Raider18
Lone Star Light

No Lone Star is now brewed by Miller Brewing in Ft Worth, TX

Alright, if you'd rather get technical, at the moment, they're brewed by Miller. But they're owned by Pabst, who currently contracts the FW Brewery of Miller/MillerCoors.

Considering the original Lone Star Brewery closed in 2000, and has since only been contracted brewed ( Pabst pays other breweries to brew it.) I hardly consider that a Texas brew.

When I think of Texas Beers, I think of products that are owned by Texans, in Texas, and haven't been brewed any else, nor contracted by someone out of state just cause it's marketable product to Texans lol.

Interestingly, Pabst also owns, and contract brews Pearl, so I no longer consider that a "true" Texas beer anymore, either. Once you've closed down, been sold to another state, then the out-of-state owner ( From IL of all places ) pays someone else to to try and brew that beer again....It's no longer the same thing, let alone a "true" Texas brew.

At least in my opinion. Wonder if they even use the same yeast strain?

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/05/11 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Keith Stone!

Saint Arnold's does some good stuff.

Here's one of the Texas Beers I'm currently drinking. Divine Reserve Number 11, from Saint Arnold's Brewery, out of Houston.

http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/divine_11.html
Posted By: jno

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/05/11 03:41 AM

Shiner
Posted By: Paparon

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/06/11 02:23 PM

They're quickly becoming my favorite Texas brewery.

I like Shiner and ZiegenBock. Hadn't heard of Jester King, but I'll be looking for it. Seems to run the gamut on alcohol content.

Guess I'll have to try some Saint Arnold as well.

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/06/11 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Paparon
They're quickly becoming my favorite Texas brewery.

I like Shiner and ZiegenBock. Hadn't heard of Jester King, but I'll be looking for it. Seems to run the gamut on alcohol content.

Guess I'll have to try some Saint Arnold as well.

That it does. Right now their lowest ABV beer is 3.2%, and and their highest is 10.4%, with others ranging from 6-9%.
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/07/11 01:55 AM

I like any beer from Texas, right now its

and

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/13/11 04:08 AM

any one ever had Rahr and Sons? brewed here in fort worth i believe

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/13/11 04:54 AM

Yup. On the second page of this very thread, I wrote...

I also really like their Winter Warmer, particularly the Bourbon Barrel aged version.
Posted By: TX63S80

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/20/11 06:20 PM

Shiner Bock for me. I also think Real Ale does a great job and St. Arnold is a favorite around Houston but personally not my taste.

Ziegenbock is marketed as a Texas beer and IS brewed in Houston by AnheuserBusch now owned by Inbev, a Belgium co. Whatever that makes it? It's not bad especially when the only alternative is the standard Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite. Lone Star is now owned by Pabst but contract brewed by Miller in Ft. Worth.

For anyone that's interested, the Houston Chronicle has a great beer blog, covers the state of Texas and beyond.

http://blogs.chron.com/beertx/

Cheers!
Posted By: hookem horns(Keith)

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/04/11 02:32 PM

Is XX Amber a Texas Beer.........I drink it in Texas all the time.....so, it's my favorite! banana breakdance thumb

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/04/11 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: hookem horns(Keith)
Is XX Amber a Texas Beer.........I drink it in Texas all the time.....so, it's my favorite! banana breakdance thumb

By that standard my favorite Texas beers are Deschutes Abyss and Stone Imperial Stout, cause I also drink them in Texas hehe.

I get the XX Amber at Mexican restaurants a lot, I like it better then the lager by far.
Posted By: jwilson1987

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/10/11 04:52 PM

free-cold-open. just like that or any of the three

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/17/11 09:53 PM

had some shiner ruby redbird summer brew. some good stuff. also tried rahr and sons ugly pug and bucking bock. all pretty good.

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/18/11 07:23 AM

had some shiner ruby redbird summer brew. some good stuff. also tried rahr and sons ugly pug and bucking bock. all pretty good.

Yup, my favorite Rahr And Sons Beers are the Bourbon Barrel Winter Warmer, and the Snowmageddon. ( Named after the huge snow a few years back that collapsed their roof. )

Their Stormcloud IPA's not bad, and their Iron Thistle is a good Scotch Ale.

They've just bottled a new beer, and are sending kegs around to the local beer bars, it's an Imperial Pilsner, and they call it..."Pecker Wrecker". Hehehe, cause it's stronger then your average pilsner and I guess that's what it'll do if you drink too many lol.
Posted By: hookem horns(Keith)

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/19/11 04:39 PM

Just a little note.....(I Like Shiner Bock! OK!) I tried the nastiest beer ever here while back imho. my friend Eric (stickshooter) poured my a little of the Shiner Bar B Que Beer......OMG, NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!! barf bolt barf

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/19/11 09:00 PM

Ah, the Shiner Smokehaus. Some love it, some hate it. I'm not a fan. Like drinking a liquefied brisket that wasn't that well cooked lol.
Posted By: M1nurThr3t

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/19/11 09:26 PM

Ah, the Shiner Smokehaus. Some love it, some hate it. I'm not a fan. Like drinking a liquefied brisket that wasn't that well cooked lol.

I actually thought it was good.
What many dont understand is lagers go with certain meals.
Smokehaus would def be a beer while grilling or bar b qing :P

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/20/11 04:17 AM

I like a hoppy IPA when grilling, and a dark, roasty beer to go with my grilled meats myself.
Posted By: sharkhunter

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/20/11 08:24 PM

shiner black,real ale ...or mine

i have been brewing 7 years, favorite is big [censored] texas brown 7%...from defalcos
Posted By: rowanfredo123

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/23/11 04:45 PM

Well Totally Agreed With You jae011..

As ziegenbock is Also One of My Favorite ...

Apart of That When I Had Trip I Also Had Beer Called God-Father n Believe Me It's Best Drink Which I Ever Had ...

So Cheers With 2 Ice Cubes !!
Posted By: Near Nuthin'

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/24/11 05:44 AM

Stopped in Mellow Mushroom the other night and tried a pitcher of Franconia Lager made by Franconia Brewing Company in McKinney. Very tasty brew - I would definitely order it again if I see it on tap when I'm out.

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/24/11 06:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Near Nuthin'
Stopped in Mellow Mushroom the other night and tried a pitcher of Franconia Lager made by Franconia Brewing Company in McKinney. Very tasty brew - I would definitely order it again if I see it on tap when I'm out.

Yeah, Franconia's a good brewery, and pretty close to home, too!
Posted By: Napa

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/24/11 11:17 AM

a open one
Posted By: Beer Snob

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/25/11 11:03 PM

Real Ale's seasonal offering, The Devil's Backbone.

Ranger Creek OPA (Oatmeal Pale Ale) by new kid on the block Ranger Creek Brewing is also mighty fine.

I too would like to see Shiner branch out even further in their offerings. I'd REALLY like to see their interpretation of an IPA or, even better, an Imperial IPA. smile

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/26/11 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Beer Snob
Real Ale's seasonal offering, The Devil's Backbone.

Ranger Creek OPA (Oatmeal Pale Ale) by new kid on the block Ranger Creek Brewing is also mighty fine.

I too would like to see Shiner branch out even further in their offerings. I'd REALLY like to see their interpretation of an IPA or, even better, an Imperial IPA. smile

Agreed about Shiner making a DIPA. That'd be great. Though...I'm not sure shiner believes in "Hops" as lightly as they use them, lol.

Devils Backbone is great, have you tried the Oak Aged version? I want to say they call it the Devil's Share. They also do an oak aged version of their Real Heavy, which I think they called Highlander, lol. Also delicious.

I'd love to see Real Ale do an Imperial Stout.

As for Ranger Creek, I tried their La Bestia at the Spring Beer Fest at the Flying Saucer on the lake, and it was pretty delicious! Rather unusual for the style, but very good.

I'd love to see more of their products make it to DFW.

Have you tried much Jester King? They're my favorite Texas brewery right now.
Posted By: cypher_orange

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/09/11 02:04 AM

I like alot of Rahr & Sons. St Arnies has some really good stuff. REALLY wanna try Jester King now. There is also a new brewery in the VERY early stages opening out of the Rocksprings area. They re called Stonesthrow (one word). Tried their DIPA and Imperial Stout. Good stuff. Seems promising. They got a long road ahead before opening though.

Is Steel Reserve still out of Ft. Worth?...Lol.

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/09/11 07:58 AM

You wouldn't be disappointed by Jester King's beers. Their Black Metal Imperial Stout and Wytchmaker Rye IPA are both top notch.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/09/11 11:42 AM

shiner bock
Posted By: YakBonz

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/09/11 04:04 PM

Acutally tried it for the first time this past weekend. Do not remember which one, but had a red label. I enjoyed it. Won't replace my standard shiner, but will definitely drink it again when in the mood for a switch.

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/14/11 12:46 AM

i think the red one is buffalo butt. its pretty good.Had some St.Arnolds wheat. loved it.

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/14/11 07:27 AM

Could be Buffalo Butt, could also be Texas Red.

The Saint Arnold's beer I'm drinking the most lately is Weedwhacker. It's their new summer wheat beer, and it's delicious. Essentially a version of their Fancy Lawnmower but brewed with a hefeweizen yeast.

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/14/11 02:22 PM

Tried the Shiner 102 Double Wheat last night. Very tasty!
Posted By: eyc0r (Corey C)

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/14/11 03:22 PM

X2... Gooooooooooooood stuff....
Posted By: evolution44

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/14/11 04:24 PM

Shiner Kosmos
+1

hard to beat that, IMO
Posted By: Frontier190

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/22/11 05:13 PM

[/quote]
I also really like their Winter Warmer, particularly the Bourbon Barrel aged version. [/quote]

+1000
Posted By: Frontier190

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/22/11 05:19 PM

It took 3 pages for Franconia to be mentioned! I really like their Octoberfest.

Some of the folks on here might not consider it a Texas beer though. The owner is originally from Germany. Very nice fellow!

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/23/11 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Frontier190
It took 3 pages for Franconia to be mentioned! I really like their Octoberfest.

Some of the folks on here might not consider it a Texas beer though. The owner is originally from Germany. Very nice fellow!

If it's brewed in Texas, it's a Texas beer hehe. I like Franconia over all. The only bad thing about following German purity laws is that there's no innovation in the beer.

That's one of the things I like best about American style craft beers. All the big, bold flavors, and all the innovations. Of course...the high alcohol content of some American craft beers doesn't hurt either lol.

But, Franconia makes some very tasty products!

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/30/11 04:46 PM

I had some Rahr and Sons India Pale ale.....no complaints but i wont buy it again.

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/30/11 11:20 PM

Hoppy beers can be an acquired taste lol.

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/02/11 03:16 AM

I'd just like to re-iterate....

Jester King may be Texas' best brewery right now.

Their Black Metal Imperial Stout is amazing, and their Wytchmaker Rye IPA is damn delicious.

(512) is also brewing some fantastic beers, but they don't bottle yet, just have to drink them on tap in bars.
Posted By: Lakeguide

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/04/11 08:29 PM

Shiner Summer Stock. I can only find it when I'm down near Shiner. One of the best beers I have ever had!

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/08/11 05:48 PM

I think of all the rahr and sons i have tried the texas red is one of my favorite. I had the blonde on tap and it was great also
Posted By: monsterfireworks

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/08/11 11:10 PM

Shiner Kolsch, great on a hot summer day!
Posted By: Cloud Dancer

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/10/11 03:09 PM

In that case,....Pacifico (tasty and smooth)
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/10/11 06:43 PM

WHY WON'T SHINER SELL KOSMOS IN A 6 PACK!!!

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/12/11 10:24 PM

I have a new favorite Texas beer.

La Muerta Imperial Stout by the Freetail Brewery, out of San Antonio. Sadly, they're a brewpub, and so by virtue of outdated, idiotic Texas law championed by Distributors who only like lining their own pockets...

Freetail cannot distribute it's beers or sell them anywhere but their own pub. ( They're opening a second one in Houston. )

Anyway, their Imperial Stout is world class, truly fantastic. Sadly, it only comes out one day a year, and as mentioned must by purchased at the brewery, where the bottles sell out in hours.

The bottle I got to try was hand numbered "2010 Vintage, bottle 401 of 450."
Posted By: Nothin but net

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/13/11 04:34 AM

Oh Man.. when I was a kid we could get kegs of Shiner for about $40.. Six packs were like $1.75.. Then the yuppies discovered it.. Still partial to everything Shiner brews tho especially the double wheat. Fireman's 4 is what I've been enjoying lately, very good brew for summertime.

Does anyone else remember when Coors wasn't sold in Texas? I can't stand the stuff, but at one time it was THE beer to get ahold of. I have some relatives that would drive to Louisiana to fill up the back of their station wagon with that [censored].. LOL

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/13/11 08:43 PM

I'd just like to re-iterate....

Jester King may be Texas' best brewery right now.

Their Black Metal Imperial Stout is amazing,

On my way to Holy Grail now. Hope they have it........

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/14/11 01:26 PM

They (Holy Grail) didn't have the BMIS, but they did have their Commercial Suicide on tap. Pretty good. Had to venture out of the state and also enjoyed some Old speckled Hen, Lagunitas, and Smithwicks ofcourse...

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/15/11 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Nothin but net
Oh Man.. when I was a kid we could get kegs of Shiner for about $40.. Six packs were like $1.75.. Then the yuppies discovered it.. Still partial to everything Shiner brews tho especially the double wheat. Fireman's 4 is what I've been enjoying lately, very good brew for summertime.

Fireman's 4 is brewed by Real Ale, another of my favorite Texas breweries.

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/15/11 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: YakBonz
They (Holy Grail) didn't have the BMIS, but they did have their Commercial Suicide on tap. Pretty good. Had to venture out of the state and also enjoyed some Old speckled Hen, Lagunitas, and Smithwicks ofcourse...

Yeah, it's been a little while since the Holy Grail had Jester King Black Metal on tap. The most recently tapped batch of it in the DFW area was at the Flying Saucer in Fort Worth. They tapped a cask of it about two weeks ago, not sure if they've sold it all yet or not.

You can still find Black Metal in bottle form at various locations throughout DFW, some Majestic Liquors have it, Lone Star Beverages and Sam's in Carrolton, Halls in Colleyville, some Central Markets, Whole Foods, and possibly Market Streets have it as well.

Yeah, the Commercial Suicide is also pretty tasty. I also like Jester King's Wytchmaker Rye IPA.

My favorite Texas beer over all now is the La Muerta Imperial Stout by Freetail. Sadly outdated Texas laws only allow it to be sold at the brewpub so it's very hard to obtain. I got mine from a friend from San Antonio.

The best On Tap beer I've had lately wasn't from Texas, but it was the Stone Imperial Russian Stout, on tap at the Common Table in Dallas.

As far as bars to try great beers, and great Texas beers, in the DFW area some of the best are The Meddlesome Moth, The Common Table, Holy Grail Pub, and all the Gingerman and Flying Saucer locations.

Do you go to Holy Grail often? I was just there last week as well, and the Moth, and the Common Table. At the Moth I was working on writing up some interview questions for local breweries and pubs.

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/18/11 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: eyc0r (Corey C)

X2... Gooooooooooooood stuff....

Tried some this weekend, was pretty good. A real hot weather beer that was light but flavor.

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/18/11 10:03 PM

I prefer Saint Arnold's Weedwacker to their Summer Pils for summer beer drinking. It's basically their Lawnmower but with a belgian hefeweizen yeast instead. Very tasty, very refreshing.

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/19/11 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: YakBonz

Do you go to Holy Grail often? I was just there last week as well, and the Moth, and the Common Table. At the Moth I was working on writing up some interview questions for local breweries and pubs.

I go about once a week. It is just down the street from work. Will also hit Gingerman at the Legacy Shops as well as Rugby Pub.

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/21/11 04:15 AM

Nice! I don't go there that often, but I get there when I have a chance. Mostly recently went to the Meddlesome Moth, and the Common Table, both in Dallas.

Re: favorite texas beer - 08/23/11 11:08 PM

Tried a fantastic new Texas Beer the other day, up at the Holy Grail in Plano.

Real Ale's XV. ( That's 15 ) It's an Imperial Stout that Real Ale, out of Blanco, brewed to celebrate their 15th Anniversary. It's delicious, too, one of my new favorite Texas beers. Up there with my other two Texas favorites, Jester King's Black Metal, and Freetail's La Muerta.

Right now, the Real Ale 15 is only available on tap, and you can find it at The Common Table, The Meddlesome Moth ( Both in Dallas ) the Holy Grail in Plano, and some of the Gingerman Pubs, and the Flying Saucers in the area.

Hopefully they will be bottling it soon!
Posted By: mogombie

Re: favorite texas beer - 09/22/11 10:08 PM

Pearl light!

Re: favorite texas beer - 10/22/11 08:09 PM

St. Arnold Brewery, from Houston, has a new seasonal beer out for October/Halloween/Fall. It's called Pumpkinator, and it's based on their previous Divine Reserve 9 beer, which was a Pumpkin Imperial Stout. This one is as well, tastes a bit like chocolate pumpkin pie in a bottle. It's pretty fantastic. It's also close to 11%, hehehe.

Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: favorite texas beer - 10/22/11 11:53 PM

again cold beer

Re: favorite texas beer - 12/24/11 12:00 AM

just tried shiner holiday brew, real ale coffee porter, and rhar and sons pecker wrecker . all really good

Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: favorite texas beer - 12/24/11 03:51 AM

I haven't seen it in awhile but Shiner Frost was very tasty. I had it down in Shiner a couple of years ago at a little store on the main drag there...

Posted By: POP N CORK

Re: favorite texas beer - 12/28/11 12:32 PM

Shiner

Posted By: ftabangler13

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/08/12 06:10 AM

Ziegen and shiner for a drinking beer, rahr and sons angry goat for an enjoying beer

Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/08/12 02:27 PM

Amber bock, then Shiner

Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/09/12 03:12 AM

Here are a few I came up with this winter - Rahr Winter Warmer and and the Real Ale 15th. Anniversary Russian Imperial Stout (expensive). A friend of mine wrote a pretty good article on the holiday varietals - http://texasflycaster.com/holiday-beer-selection-local-beer-consultant-provides-guidance/ .

Posted By: JohnWUU9

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/09/12 02:41 PM

Shiner is the best laugh

Posted By: Big Bass'n

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/09/12 07:46 PM

I really like Live Oak brewery.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/23/12 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: ftabangler13
Ziegen and shiner for a drinking beer, rahr and sons angry goat for an enjoying beer

Drinking beer and enjoying beer are the same thing to me, lol.

Any of you guys tried Deep Ellum or Peticolas Brewing Yet? They're Dallas' two newest breweries, and they make some damn fine beers.

Posted By: ou.sooner

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/23/12 03:53 PM

I'm a sucker for anything Saint Arnold's or Rahr Brews.

Not sure if this is been posted but you DFW beer drinkers may be interested in this:

http://www.bigtexasbeerfest.com/

Posted By: CatfishHunter79

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/23/12 08:31 PM

Southern Star's Bombshell Blonde from Conroe!! Better than Fireman #4, but a bit pricey!

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/23/12 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: ou.sooner
I'm a sucker for anything Saint Arnold's or Rahr Brews.

Not sure if this is been posted but you DFW beer drinkers may be interested in this:

http://www.bigtexasbeerfest.com/

That festival will be amazing. I'll be there, as well at least two or three other TFFer's I'm friends with.

I know the guy who's putting it on personally. In my other life, lol, I'm big into the DFW Craft Beer scene.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/23/12 08:54 PM

Shiner Kosmos

+1

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/24/12 02:36 AM

For those of you interested in trying new beers brewed in Texas?

The previously mentioned www.bigtexasbeerfest.com will have beers from almost every brewery in Texas. Rahr, Franconia, Deep Ellum, Peticolas and Lakewood, all from DFW.

Jester King, (512), Circle, Real Ale, Austin Beerworks, Independance, and many more from the Austin area.

Southern Star from Conroe.

No Label, Karbach, Saint Arnold and others from Houston...

Seriously, there's a whole huge world of Texas brewed beer out there with dozens of Texas Craft Brewers. Why not head to the Big Texas Beer Festival and check them out?

Posted By: TxPacker4

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/24/12 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan
I haven't seen it in awhile but Shiner Frost was very tasty. I had it down in Shiner a couple of years ago at a little store on the main drag there...
They have it in several stores around there. We have to stop and get some every time we go to the deer lease.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/24/12 08:03 AM

Had several Rahr Bucking Bocks at a little bar/grill on bluebonnet circle tonight. Damn tasty beer - and a good kick with 7.5% alcohol

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/01/12 01:06 AM

that rhar bucking bock is the stuff man

Posted By: roadtrip

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/06/12 05:34 PM

Texas Pride
Pearl

And of course.....Buckhorn!

Posted By: Leever

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/07/12 03:53 AM

For those of you interested in trying new beers brewed in Texas?

The previously mentioned www.bigtexasbeerfest.com will have beers from almost every brewery in Texas. Rahr, Franconia, Deep Ellum, Peticolas and Lakewood, all from DFW.

Jester King, (512), Circle, Real Ale, Austin Beerworks, Independance, and many more from the Austin area.

Southern Star from Conroe.

No Label, Karbach, Saint Arnold and others from Houston...

Seriously, there's a whole huge world of Texas brewed beer out there with dozens of Texas Craft Brewers. Why not head to the Big Texas Beer Festival and check them out?

Love all the Jester Kings beers, especially the Black Metal.
Southern Star is an awesome brewery too. Doesn't get much better than a Blonde Bombshell on a hot day.

Posted By: Big Black

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/13/12 03:25 PM

Is that 30 weight or 40 weight?

Posted By: Big Black

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/13/12 03:26 PM

popcorn2

Shiner

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/18/12 11:35 PM

deep elum brewery in dallas is awesome...just wished i could get good texas beer in north dakota

Posted By: MPlow

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/24/12 02:47 AM

Franconia out of McKinney

Posted By: txcowboy27

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/29/12 09:39 PM

Shiner and Rahr!

Posted By: Jerrybign

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/29/12 10:44 PM

i REALLY like Shiner Bock.

but, after mowing the yard or something like that, its iced tea or a Wernesgruner Pils that we get at...wait for it....Aldi!

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/30/12 01:55 PM

I'm liking Fireman's 4 more and more. River beer = Lonestar

Kosmos reserve is my absolute fav...

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/30/12 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: MPlow

Man, I love that Franconia Lager! They have it on tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Ft. Worth - I drive over there, the wife always drives home. grin

Posted By: J2H1

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/08/12 01:30 AM

Fireman 4

Posted By: Juggernaut30

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/08/12 01:55 AM

Undoubtedly Shiner Bock is my favorite overall and I do love me some Lonestar in 'No glass containers' situations. I have however, recently become a big fan of both the Blonde Bombshell and the Buried Hatchet Stout from the Southern Star Brewing Company in Conroe.

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/11/12 10:46 PM

Franconia out of mckiney is awesome! they have it on tap at Square Burger in the mckiney square.Square burger is a dam good burger joint by the way

Posted By: thechapman

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/29/12 12:45 AM

Shiner

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/28/12 02:06 AM

rhar and sons - the regulator!

Posted By: silverZX225

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/28/12 02:36 AM

Are U saying Lone Star is brewed by Pabst now AND out of T?????

Tell me it aint so......

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/28/12 08:19 AM

It ain't so... The rights to the Lone Star name are owned by Pabst but it is still made in Texas. Pabst has contracted Miller/Coors in Ft. Worth to produce Lone Star for them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Star_Brewing_Company

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/28/12 02:11 PM

I am really enjoying Deep Ellum Farmhouse Wit. They serve it at Twisted Root.

Posted By: butch sanders

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/29/12 03:08 AM

Coors Banquet Beer

Posted By: SE TX Bassman

Re: favorite texas beer - 08/02/12 01:38 AM

Lone Star Light.. For Sure!!!

Re: favorite texas beer - 08/10/12 09:47 PM

Pabst owns the rights to about 40 beers and they don't even own or operate a brewery anymore. They pay other breweries to brew the beer for them.

Posted By: kimbocdp

Re: favorite texas beer - 08/11/12 12:04 AM

Ziegen Bock, MMMM Good

Posted By: Beer Snob

Re: favorite texas beer - 08/12/12 05:40 AM

Though I like bock beers, I WILL NOT drink a Ziegen Bock.
It was created by the Anheuser-Busch company in order to horn in (no pun intended) on Shiner's market share.
Dirty pool.

Re: favorite texas beer - 08/16/12 02:21 AM

Scored two sixers of Saint Arnold Divine Reserve 12 this weekend. Good stuff.

Re: favorite texas beer - 08/17/12 09:04 PM

this is true...i pretty mush dont drink any beer from the big 3 any more.local micro brew beer is the only way to go
Originally Posted By: Beer Snob
Though I like bock beers, I WILL NOT drink a Ziegen Bock.
It was created by the Anheuser-Busch company in order to horn in (no pun intended) on Shiner's market share.
Dirty pool.

Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: favorite texas beer - 09/08/12 06:52 PM

Shiner...no question
Posted By: Flipp

Re: favorite texas beer - 09/08/12 08:45 PM

Shiner.....maybe a Lone Star once in a blue moon
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: favorite texas beer - 09/11/12 07:35 PM

Ziegenbock!

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/18/13 01:07 AM

Deep Elum brewery out out of Dallas makes some really good stuff.
Posted By: Ox190

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/18/13 03:20 PM

Franconia Lager or Shiner Kosmos

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/18/13 06:22 PM

Buckhorn
Texas Pride
Pearl
Posted By: DustyHartOutdoors

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/08/13 07:38 PM

Lone Star Light damn sure does count...yes Pabst bought out Lone Star and then Miller bought out Pabst but the brewery in Ft. Worth is still brewing Lone Star, Lone Star Light and Lone Star Bock. I'll drink my Lone Star Light until I die!

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/08/13 07:43 PM

There is a semi-new brewing company in Fredericksburg...Pedernales Brewing company, they make a beer called Lobo and its pretty good.
Posted By: Luke57

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/10/13 04:24 PM

Had some shiner fm 966 farmhouse ale yesterday. Bold hoppy taste very good to bad it's a seasonal
Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/10/13 08:13 PM

Shiner, then Lone Star.
Posted By: SNAKEBIT

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/14/13 09:17 PM

Shiner Prickly Pear!!!!
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/15/13 03:04 AM

Lots and lots to try but this is my day in day out go to brew.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/22/13 05:20 PM

Shiner Bock is my go to also.

Lots of good TX beer out there though. The deep ellum brewerer has some goos beer and St. Arnold is always good too.
Posted By: HO$$

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/23/13 01:02 AM

COLD! oh yea, shiner!

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/04/13 09:18 PM

Shiner in a can is the bomb
Posted By: lowbass

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/06/13 10:52 PM

"Nothing could br finer........
than a 6-pk of Shiner..........
in the mororoning!"
Posted By: Caribou

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/07/13 04:10 AM

basically anything made my Rahr
Posted By: breambuster

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/07/13 06:43 PM

Kind of a toss up - Heineken, Dos Equis or Michelob lite
Posted By: Caribou

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/08/13 02:21 AM

Um... none of those are texas beers.
Posted By: Hook 'em Horns

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/21/13 04:53 PM

LoneStar light
Posted By: Crappie34

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/21/13 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: MPlow

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/04/13 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: breambuster
Kind of a toss up - Heineken, Dos Equis or Michelob lite
None of those are even remotely Texan.
Posted By: RickBlane

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/07/13 04:31 AM

how does this meassure up to guinness?
Posted By: sig226fan

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/07/13 02:29 PM

Shiner and Ziegen Bock are both about as good as it gets for me. Shiner is a little more accessible when away from home.
Posted By: sig226fan

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/07/13 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Caribou
basically anything made my Rahr

Wish you were closer. There's a five pack of rahr been in the fridge since Christmas, you can have it.

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/10/13 12:59 AM

Just had some Deep Elum Brewery Rye Pils and some Rhar and Sons Bucking Bock. Freaking delicious.
Posted By: throwback

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/12/13 08:36 PM

Lone Star Bock is really good as well as Lone Star Light.
Posted By: 4967

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/12/13 08:41 PM

Real Ale 4-Squared...
Hop-head heaven.
You're welcome!!!
Posted By: scott76067

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/18/13 12:07 AM

I went to Revolver brewery last saturday in granbury. The beer was good and for $10 you get a glass and 4 generous samples.
Posted By: Eddie Haskell

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/18/13 02:13 AM

Rahr Red

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/23/13 08:50 PM

Anyone been to the deep ellum brewery? I had a deep ellup brown ale and a blonde the other day. Dang good.
Posted By: Keith Stone!

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/25/13 02:23 PM

Pearl
Posted By: mikethetoolman

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/25/13 05:20 PM

C--O--L--D

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/25/13 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: kdub#1
Anyone been to the deep ellum brewery? I had a deep ellup brown ale and a blonde the other day. Dang good.

My sister went the other day. Said it was awesome. I plan on going when I come home this summer.
Posted By: JimBo Hops

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/27/13 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: kdub#1

Their DreamCrusher is fantastic!

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/27/13 05:37 PM

I wish Jester King still made the original recipe Black Metal. The farmhouse version was a downgrade.

My favorite Texas brews are probably Karback Bourbon Barrel Aged Hellfighter, (512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter, and Saint Arnold Endeavour (when fresh)
Posted By: frognot

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/06/13 04:38 AM

Another fan of Franconia from McKinney. They are not bottling at this time so you can only get it on tap or in small kegs. My favorites are their Dunkle and Lager (which is a great combo when mixed like a Black & Tan). This year is Franconia's fifth anniversary and Dennis is brewing 5 new brews this year, hopefully the double IPA joins their lineup.

For a Texas beer that is easily available, try Real Ale 4-Squared. It's a hopped up version of their Fireman's 4 and it's mighty tasty.

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/07/13 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: frognot
For a Texas beer that is easily available, try Real Ale 4-Squared. It's a hopped up version of their Fireman's 4 and it's mighty tasty.

That's exactly what I'm drinking. It's a nice beer for sure. Blows the regular Fireman's 4 away by leaps and bounds. I love the oily resinous mouthfeel from the dry-hopping. Perfect to knock a few back while you're grilling, our out fishing.

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/14/13 12:55 AM

Wicked Beaver Brewing Company (out by Lubbock ) has some pretty good beer.
Posted By: Poormanscat

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/14/13 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: EN591
Shiner Kosmos

according to the nice lady at the brewery operating the draft handle.... Shiner Kosmos will NEVER be sold in 6-pack form.
I have been forced to raid Family Packs and create my own Kosmos 6 pack!!.
Posted By: Poormanscat

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/14/13 10:59 PM

Texas beers! Shiners, Real Ales, St Arnolds..
Posted By: Luke57

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/15/13 08:14 PM

Tried some Rahr storm cloud ipa very hoppy not to bad

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/24/13 08:36 PM

Peticolas brewing out of dallas is amazing. The tour they offer is worth going to.
Posted By: SA210Champ

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/27/13 05:49 AM

Pacifico

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/31/13 02:49 AM

Martin house brewing of Fort Worth and revolver brewing of granbury are pretty good stuff. Going to tour the Martin house brewery this Saturday.
Posted By: Harte Nuss

Re: favorite texas beer - 08/06/13 09:19 PM

shiner blonde

Re: favorite texas beer - 08/07/13 01:27 AM

Lone pint brewery out of magnolia TX is pretty good stuff

Re: favorite texas beer - 08/07/13 04:47 AM

Tried a few pints of Peticolas Golden Opportunity the other night at the Rodeo Goat in Ft. Worth. Very tasty Kolsch style beer brewed by Peticolas Brewing Co. in Dallas.

Re: favorite texas beer - 09/05/13 10:01 PM

Peticolas makes the best beer in Texas right now in my opinion.

Re: favorite texas beer - 12/24/13 07:16 AM

Rhar 9th anniversary ale is awesome
Posted By: G3Runner

Re: favorite texas beer - 12/27/13 10:44 PM

Deep Ellum IPA is my go to right now.

It's Totes McGoats!
Posted By: mrkelly

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/12/14 12:22 PM

Shiner FM 966 in the spring. cheers
Posted By: assassinator

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/12/14 04:04 PM

regular shiner

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/13/14 02:22 AM

Fireman 4 or Alamo are my top 2.

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/16/14 10:26 PM

Lone Star Light

It's owned by Pabst, but production of Lone Star & Lone Star Light is currently contracted out to Miller Brewing in Ft. Worth. So technically, it's still a Texas beer.
Posted By: mrkelly

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/24/14 03:43 PM

Shiner FM 966

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/25/14 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Near Nuthin'
Lone Star Light

It's owned by Pabst, but production of Lone Star & Lone Star Light is currently contracted out to Miller Brewing in Ft. Worth. So technically, it's still a Texas beer.

+1 and always have a cooler full!

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/26/14 12:03 AM

Pabst headquarters are in San Antonio. They own the rights to many old beers but do not have a brewery anymore. The contract other breweries to produce beer for them.

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/26/14 12:06 AM

Pabst headquarters are in San Antonio. They own the rights to many old beers but do not have a brewery anymore. The contract other breweries to produce beer for them.
Posted By: "Ol Spookin

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/02/14 03:47 AM

Shiner, with a warm shot of Crown Black label. +1
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/15/14 09:31 PM

Shiner!!! Been to the brewery a couple of times to pick up kegs. GREAT PEOPLE and GREAT BEER!!

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/16/14 05:03 AM

Had a few St. Arnold's Spring Bock drafts the other night and it was excellent - I would definitely order it again.

Posted By: adfishin

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/18/14 01:45 AM

Lone Star
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/18/14 01:48 AM

Shiner
Posted By: Iberia

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/08/14 02:20 AM

Cold from the grocery store.

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/21/14 03:23 PM

Becoming a big fan of Franconia. Made in Mckinney TX.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/22/14 03:17 PM

Shiner Bock, Blonde, Light and FM 966 are all great cheers
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: favorite texas beer - 04/22/14 04:11 PM

i've been drinking mass quantities of shiner 966, ruby red bird (just came back out) and white wing. all great warm weather beers. buy the big 24oz bottle for frosted mugs and save yourself a few bucks.
Posted By: Bine

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/20/14 02:52 AM

Jester King - Commercial Suicide and Mad Meg. Had RU55 at the brewery; a very good sour.
Rahr - Iron Thistle comes to mind. Tenderfoot, La Grange and The Regulator, too.
Shiner - White Wing, Prickly Pear, Ruby and Bohemian Black
Saint Arnold - Lawnmower is just plain good.
Four Corners - Local Buzz is a great beer for beer drinking.
Revolver - Blood and Honey
Posted By: Bine

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/20/14 02:57 AM

Oh, and Southern Star. "Clarity is overrated".
Posted By: Salty_Addict

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/20/14 01:59 PM

If I am drinking Texas Beers it will usually be something from Real Ale, Fireman's 4,Full Moon Pale Rye or Phoenixx. I prefer German beers above all though.

This is the end all be all for me.... One of the best on the planet if you like pilsners.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/20/14 10:55 PM

I really like the beers Cedar Creek Brewery is putting out. Elliott's Phoned Home Pale Ale is my favorite.
Posted By: bshield1

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/21/14 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Derek
I really like the beers Cedar Creek Brewery is putting out. Elliott's Phoned Home Pale Ale is my favorite.

I concur.

Another favorite is Lakefire from Grapevine.
Posted By: TXGARRET

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/21/14 08:53 PM

Big fan of shiners black lager
Posted By: crapicat

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/21/14 10:59 PM

I hear the Rabbit Hole Brewery is producing some good ones...might want to check them out...
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/22/14 01:33 PM

how can anything beat Coors Banquet Beer freezing in a bottle?
Posted By: Leever

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/22/14 11:55 PM

Lakewood Brewing is putting some awesome beers out.
Posted By: moocowmoo

Re: favorite texas beer - 05/23/14 06:28 PM

I'm really enjoying Deep Ellum, Lakewood, and Four Corners breweries lately. For just all around sitting on the porch summer beer drinking I'm digging Deep Ellum Dallas Blonde, and Four Corners Local Buzz.
Posted By: kimbocdp

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/15/14 03:53 PM

Zeigenbock and Star Brewing (Blonde Bombshell) My 2 favorites as of right now. I really liked Shiner (October Fest)but couldn't find it last Year.
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/15/14 07:49 PM

Southern Star Brewery (Conroe, TX) Blonde Bombshell is the BOMB. cheers
Posted By: moocowmoo

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/23/14 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: mebcode
Southern Star Brewery (Conroe, TX) Blonde Bombshell is the BOMB. cheers

I've got to give that a try then. I was worried the cool looking can was a gimmick for a mediocre beer.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: favorite texas beer - 06/25/14 09:42 PM

My favorite Texas Beers right now are Revolver's Blood and Honey and 512's Pecan Porter. Also like the different beers Franconia brewery is turning out too.

Re: favorite texas beer - 01/02/15 02:38 PM

Community brewing out of dallas is on point to say the least.
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/24/15 04:55 PM

I've recently tried a couple beers from the Guadalupe Brewing Company out of New Braunfels.....their Scotch Ale was my favorite!
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: favorite texas beer - 02/24/15 11:10 PM

Ranger Creek Beer!!
Made fresh in San Antonio,Texas.
Just Awesome Beer!!!!!!
Posted By: willweg

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/05/15 01:19 AM

There is a beer called Fuego made with Jalepenos. Can't remember the name of the company, X something, they are in Dripping Springs. I really like the stuff, never thought I would when I first bought it, but it's good stuff.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/05/15 07:01 PM

Peticolas Velvet Hammer. Comes by it's name honestly. Smooth as it can be and will sneak up behind you and club you in the head.

Re: favorite texas beer - 03/06/15 01:25 AM

Another good one that will sneak up on you pretty quick is Devil's Backbone Ale from Real Ale Brewing Company in Blanco. It's a very tasty Belgian style Tripel with an alcohol content of 8.10%.

Posted By: ridinonthepad

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/06/15 03:40 AM

Why are there so many posts on this thread? You guys are gonna have our visitors thinking bad things about us. LOL!

Re: favorite texas beer - 07/17/15 05:32 PM

Beer drinking shouldn't be so complicated
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum