Texas Fishing Forum

Underwoods

Posted By: Big Hopper

Underwoods - 08/24/18 12:08 PM

Went through Brownwood yesterday.

What's the story with Underwoods? I didn't have time to stop.

Just BBQ, Buffett, Family Style?
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Underwoods - 08/25/18 02:32 PM

Some of all the above, have not been in many years, used to be very good then took a dive to bad then worser than bad, the old west guns on the wall then were nice to look at, I never went back, horrible was an understatement, service good food bad. That was along time ago.
Posted By: chickenman

Re: Underwoods - 08/26/18 02:26 AM

Growing up in Brownwood, I have been in Underwoods more than most. Brownwood only had a few good places to eat for a long time. Section Hand, Red Wagon (I guess), and Underwoods. I still like it but it has changed a lot. Their rolls have not though.

Posted By: olefisher

Re: Underwoods - 08/26/18 02:14 PM

Have not been in many many years but their cherry cobbler used to be the BEST!
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Underwoods - 08/27/18 06:00 PM

The one way back in the day in Wichita Falls was awesome!
Posted By: WylieWalker

Re: Underwoods - 08/27/18 08:22 PM

Brisket is awful (IMO). Other BBQ is OK. The fried chicken, rolls, sides and cobbler are some of the best.
Posted By: Near Nuthin'

Re: Underwoods - 08/28/18 05:07 AM

Never tried the one in Brownwood but they used to have 3 or 4 places in Ft. Worth/Arlington back in the day - the BBQ was always below average but the CFS, fried chicken, and sides were decent. I ate there occasionally since a one meat plate with all you could eat sides seemed like a good deal at the time. All the Ft. Worth/Arl. locations shut down in the late 80's-early 90's, I believe.
Posted By: fishinman

Re: Underwoods - 08/28/18 01:30 PM

Not the worse, IMO... We just stay away from the BBQ...
Brownwood movin' up with places to eat in last few years...
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Underwoods - 08/29/18 01:35 AM

greatest neon sign ever
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Underwoods - 09/08/18 10:50 PM

The rolls are great, the BBQ, not so much.

Re: Underwoods - 09/11/18 02:01 AM

Had a talk with an old friend last week and he recently had tried it again, said call me stupid for doing so! Just like the last 2 times we went all but BBQ was good BBQ horrible sauce worse. He mentioned he asked for a refund! He got it.

When I 1st tried it years back it was very good but sure went down hill.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Underwoods - 09/14/18 07:23 PM

Last time I went it was, like mentioned above, worse than worse.
Posted By: mg64

Re: Underwoods - 09/15/18 03:32 AM

Typical fast food place. You know before hand how it is going to taste. No BBQ for me but I do every so often get their fried chicken. It's decent IMO.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Underwoods - 10/16/18 11:53 PM

I loved the huge burgers they used to serve at the Section Hand, but haven't been there in years.
Posted By: Patrnflyr

Re: Underwoods - 10/17/18 12:07 AM

I went to school with an Underwood’s offspring in Lawton. We had two of the stores. I agree their BBQ wasn’t good but their fried chicken is still great. I remember my dad picking up a bucket of chicken and we’d head out to fish after school on Lake Lawton’s for crappie. Still great memories 45 years later. I talked to one of the long term employees at the Brownwood restaurant a few years ago and she said none of the grandkids were interested in keeping the family business going so it slowly disappeared.
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: Underwoods - 10/24/18 04:32 PM

Use to be o.k. (not recently). When I'm there with some of the underwood's groupies I call my in-laws, I just get water and grab a burger from somewhere on the way home.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Underwoods - 10/24/18 05:27 PM

I thought this was about deviled ham.

Re: Underwoods - 10/25/18 01:41 AM

I will/would never go back for BBQ period.
Used to be great.
Posted By: speed stick 101

Re: Underwoods - 10/25/18 07:11 PM

Grew up in brownwood. 1947 till 1972. Know all of the underwood and back in the day bbq was good, not now but the cob let and rolls make it worth my while. Meeting friends there next Saturday for college reunion.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Underwoods - 12/13/18 06:51 AM

Chicken fry and their rolls as mentioned earlier. BBQ not so much.
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Underwoods - 01/01/19 10:00 PM

Used to be the go to place
Posted By: PEGLEG DAVE

Re: Underwoods - 01/28/19 04:21 AM

DON'T DO IT. Like so many places that were pretty tasty, it has slid backwards. Just keep driving.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum