Texas Fishing Forum

What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather?

Posted By: Fish Killer

What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:40 AM

My grand father came from the WW2 generation and was the hardest working man you have ever met.
After he got out of the army from being injured after Normandy he came back and started a machine shop making parts for both bell helicopter and Voit or Lockheed.(whatever it was at that time)

My grand mother turned parts out and built plans for the factory during the war

He passed away 21 years ago next week and I was luck enough to spend the entire week with him on spring break at lake Whitney the week prior to his passing

Out of all the things I have of theirs including his sacred cast iron fish fry pot and his pre 64 270 this one item probably means more to m than all of it

It's a simple oil can he had in his shop for decades that he used when turning metal. I remember this thing from when I could first remember being on his lathe and mills in his shop both in hurst and in Whitney

Nothing fancy but every time I see it I think of him and everything he gave us and allowed me to become who I am today
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:44 AM

I have my great-grandfather's wedding ring. Sometime at a G2G I'll tell the story of how he got it.
Posted By: chickenman

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:50 AM

1934 Beretta and an 1895ish Belgium revolver. The revolver is in a shadow box. The Beretta still shoots. Pretty cool.

My grandfather ran a card game for years. He kept the Beretta with him after a guy got stabbed. Not sure about the revolver.

Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:50 AM

An old bacon press. Love that thing.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:51 AM

Montgomery Ward 12 guage - double barrel 32 inches - hammer-less with two triggers.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:54 AM

I have his Model 62 Winchester pump 22. I still shoot it on when I need his company.
Posted By: SweetRay

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:56 AM

His good looks
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:56 AM

I have a Remington 7400 in 30-06, his 12 gauge from monkey wards, his ring from lone star gas which you can fit a quarter through and am working on restoring his 92 F150 that I got back from a cousin who trashed the truck. He got it in 2007 with 27k on the odometer splat
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:57 AM

False teeth, not his but mine. I remember when I was a kid watching him take his out and putting them in. I also have an old Case trapper pocket knife that he always carried, I have carried a trapper now for 48 years.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:10 AM

1907 Remington semi-auto rifle in .30 caliber, built on a Browning patent. Sweet shooting old gun but ammo is very hard to find.
Posted By: Dognot

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:12 AM

Grand dad died the year before I was born, But I have this lamp from my Grand mother that sits on a desk in my living room.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:18 AM

Two toes that are grown together (common occurrence among his family member)...and a sprinkler that is about 50 years old...still works to this day. I also have his smart*** sense of humor. I miss that man.
Posted By: chickenman

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: fitter2259
1907 Remington semi-auto rifle in .30 caliber, built on a Browning patent. Sweet shooting old gun but ammo is very hard to find.

Pretty cool rifle I bet. Model 8. .30 Remington.

I found you a full box for $135 grin

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/627911608
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:26 AM

Mossberg 12 gauge with short barrel. The gun was always in his truck. The stock was snapped in half in the wreck he died in.
Posted By: triton37

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:26 AM

2 bags of wooded decoys that he, my father and I as a kid used to hunt over. Have them sitting around the house to bring back good memories.
Posted By: John Peebles

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:31 AM

A 12 gauge engraved with a beautiful duck scene that has both the Winchester and Remington trademarks made during WW II. If I remember the story correctly, Winchester was making guns for our troops, so Remington took over all of their domestic recreational production but left the Winchester trademarks on them and added their own.
Posted By: Jacob

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:33 AM

A very nice multimeter and his ham radio call sign letters that sit on top of my station.

And one sweet California Raisins cross stitch sweater.

Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:34 AM

His foot locker from WWII. A few of his old lighters. My dad has his Purple Heart and letters he wrote during the war.
Posted By: IIIMag

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:35 AM

A union pin and a hand saw from one grandfather; several wildlife pottery pieces made and painted by my other grandfather after he retired.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: triton37
2 bags of wooded decoys that he, my father and I as a kid used to hunt over. Have them sitting around the house to bring back good memories.

Funny you say that. My other grandfather carved decoys as well as many others birds that my parents have all around their house Defiantly faimily heirlooms as well
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:38 AM

Tools, lots of campaign stuff when he was running for sheriff.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: chickenman
Originally Posted By: fitter2259

Pretty cool rifle I bet. Model 8. .30 Remington.

I found you a full box for $135 grin

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/627911608

Yep that's the originals CMan. Remington and Winchester both made rounds back in the 70's and 80's too. They still around but you have to look pretty hard to find them. I have about 12 boxes left from that era that I gave about $20 for, not sure how much they're going for now......Probably at least double that now.
Posted By: Gixxer1k

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:54 AM

Sales award from Johnson and Johnson and my first playboy mag.
Posted By: 9094

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:57 AM

I live in his house now.
My hero was my grandfather.
Posted By: Siberman

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 04:02 AM

The list is too long ( I live in his house) but I'd say the most memorable is a straight razor that his grandfather took off a dead Yankee soldier .
Posted By: Siberman

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: 9094
I live in his house now.
My hero was my grandfather.

cheers
Posted By: Rocky Robison

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 04:09 AM

Their names.
Posted By: fuzzion

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 04:25 AM

memory loss & gas
Posted By: jbobo

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 05:14 AM

A crosscut saw my maternal gpa showed me how to use when I was a little guy. Gma wouldn't let me keep the blasting caps he brought back from demolition in ww2 that I found when I was 7 or 8.
A Grey Stetson, (1/2 size too small), pocket watch, and lack of tolerance for thieves and liars from my paternal gpa.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 11:42 AM

I have his old pocket knife. he told me a man always has a knife.

I also have his bulova watch he bought when he got while he was in the army during ww2.
he put the watch on a ceramic weiner dog with it's tail up every night. got that too
Posted By: senko9S

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 11:46 AM

bronze star and a purple heart
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 11:54 AM

Both of mine died of emphysema before I was 8, So I got a bad attitude about smokers.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 11:57 AM

I have an old pocket knife of his, an old Henry, like a mini case trapper.
I have one of his Purple Heart license plates
One of his old gardening shovels, it hangs on the wall behind my desk
And I have his old 30-30. We are still searching for the Mauser that h brought back from WWII. That one is like new, and only dropped once.
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 11:58 AM

I have my Granddads 1907 Springfield Baby rolling-block .22 cal rifle. It was made for young boys to shoot and is only 33 inches long from end of stock to end of barrel. The firing pin is messed up and the last time it was fired (by my uncle over 65 years ago) if flashed into his eye. I had a shadow box built for it to display. I also have his WW1 foot locker.

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 01:33 PM

Remington 742 woodsmaster from one and pocket knife, tackle box & meat grinder from the other one.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 01:40 PM

Got his old 22 rifle.

Gave his name to my son, think about him every time I say my son's name and it makes me smile.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 01:43 PM

My maternal GF raised me.

Things I have that remind me of him:

Belgium made hump-back Browning 16ga., his squirrel gun.

His Savage 99E in .308, saw him shoot his 1st deer with it (back in the day not many deer in East Texas).

A bunch of his old tools but I have an old Schfield hoe that I've watched him work with for many hours on end in his gardens.

His sarcasm and dry humor.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:03 PM

Carpenter tools from the early 1900's. He was a master carpenter. No power tools. Did everything by hand. Several of the wood planes still have shavings in them from his last job and a note pad where he was calculating out window openings. Never met him. I know he use to ride the rails from Taylor to job sites. Wish I could have met him I understand he was one of the toughest men you would ever want to meet. (Explains my Dad)
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:04 PM

Never fired 1100 .410. Got it last year, dad told me Pawpa had it for a while and planned on giving it to me when I was 5 or so but never got the chance.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:11 PM

I have his chair and a few pictures, but mostly I remember him by stories. My grandfather was the generation before WWII, and the stories that I grew up hearing about him and the rest of my family are absolutely incredible.

We're just ordinary folks.. farmers and sharecroppers. Extremely poor. But they're good people.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:12 PM

Once my granddad "made it" he went out and bought a new Rolex. He ended up buying a couple more over the years but he gave me his first one. He was a little man, so it looks like a women's watch on me, I can't even clasp the thing, so it sits in a safe.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:14 PM

His pocket watch, his oil derrick cuff links, his shotgun, his tool kit, his lunch box, his hardhat and a spent WWI artillery shell engraved with the word "Verdun" (France) and a date which escapes me at the moment.
Posted By: fishinman

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:21 PM

My first tackle box...gave it to my mom the day I was born...small cardboard box with some hooks, ball of twine, cork, and few weights...the man loved to fish and took me all the time...where I got my love of the outdoors...miss him to this day...
Posted By: Hookem

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:23 PM

A pocket watch from Ma's dad.

From Pa's dad on the Philippines...
Type 99 rifle Arisaka with Bayonet

Type 89 Knee Mortar
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:24 PM

Going up, I remember helping him burn the grass every spring. So this weekend, in his honor I did the same to mine. First time in 50 years I've intentionally set fire to my lawn.

Then we did the backyard. Started the fire on the downwind side, But once it reached the center, the wind switched from north to south. That when things started to get interesting.

Posted By: TanHner36

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:27 PM

My grandfather was the department head for the art department of Dixie Cup, the drawings they used on the Star Wars edition paper bathroom cups were his drawings. I have the original prints and drafts of them and a few other drawings including his art school journal. I also have my dad, grandfather and uncles tools but rarely use them, I have some cool old planets and stuff I refinished and sealed but they stay above my workbench.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:29 PM

RIP Grand dad and thanks for the integrity to go along with your 12 gage shotgun. I am passing it on and will see you soon
cheers peep
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 02:34 PM

One died when my dad was 9 and the other died when I was 2. I have nothing.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:00 PM

I was fortunate. I had three grandfathers. 2 blood and 1 step. From one I got a pocket knife. To the world it has no value. But no one on earth could afford it. It was in the box it came in. I opened it when I got it. It had 1 gray hair where the blade goes into the handle. I closed it, put the rubberband back around the box and put it with my other keepsakes. From my Step grandfather I got all his WW2 memorabilia. From one all I got was memories. I also have quilts that my 2 granny's made. One also made baby dolls. She would give them to all the girls @ Christmas. When I was in my 20's I told her that I wanted one instead of a box of cordial cherries, a bottle of old spice and a pair of sox. She says why in the world would a grown man want a baby doll? I said because you made it. I got one the next Christmas. I have it put up too. And plan to give it to my granddaughter when she's old enough to appreciate it.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 03:34 PM

My gramps taught me how to tie a few knots that I've haven't seen anywhere else. Nor have I met anyone who's ever seen them before.
Posted By: Arkansas10 bass

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 04:51 PM

A genetic predisposition for alcohol and meanness.
Posted By: RonL

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 05:09 PM

I have smoking pipes my grandfather smoked with before cancer took him to the grave .
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 06:14 PM

I have a set of golf clubs that belonged to him, along with a wool fedora. I also don't remember a time when he didn't have a cigar in his mouth. I smoke cigars and every time I get in my truck and smell that smell, I think of him. He and I could be twins, separate by 50 years or so. I also inherited his bald head.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 06:23 PM

My grandparents with my oldest. My grandmother was lead soprano in the San Francisco opera at 16. She worked with the USO during the war. He served in California as a flight instructor (or something like that--I never saw him fly a plane), and was never deployed into the arena.
Posted By: I-35 North

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 06:46 PM

A sailor's vocabulary
Posted By: deucer02

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 08:57 PM

Some wonderful memories, railroad paraphanalia, and his gold pass for 50 years service (he worked 57 years before he retired) with the Illinois Central railroad.
Posted By: beerfishin

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 08:57 PM

Granddads Montgomery Wards 16 gauge flat top pump shotgun , Remington rolling block model 4 .22 rifle and his mason ring and cuff links
Posted By: Mo

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 09:22 PM

one of these , not as nice as the picture

MO
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 10:00 PM

8 uncles & 7 aunts plus dad
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 10:32 PM

An old peg-leg that he got from a WW1 Vet. Grandad used it when he broke his ankle.

OLD fishing reels.

A small switch blade that I use for a letter opener.(I promised it to my great-nephew when my dad died, but haven't given it to him)

Above things were passed down thru my dad.

One thing I prized that Grandad gave to me was a 1879 Morgan silver dollar when I broke my arm in his yard(in 1960). I gave it to my great-nephew on his 12th birthday. That was 9 years ago.

This topic sure brings back memories...thanks for starting.
Posted By: Trunkful

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/13/17 11:48 PM

1/2 acre lot next to his house, helped me build my house, Damn I miss him...

cheers
Posted By: Tbar

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/14/17 12:12 AM

Posted By: USA-1

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/14/17 12:33 AM

unfortunately mine was a drunk and could be xxxhole. While on his bed I remember him punching me in the face when I was a kid. Didn't do anything to have caused it. It was just how he was. I don't have XXXX from him and that is just fine by me.
Posted By: Trunkful

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/14/17 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: USA-1
unfortunately mine was a drunk and could be xxxhole. While on his bed I remember him punching me in the face when I was a kid. Didn't do anything to have caused it. It was just how he was. I don't have XXXX from him and that is just fine by me.

Sorry my man..
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/14/17 01:37 AM

Stories about homesteading around Valentine, Nebraska. Working for the railroad and walking the tracks from Denver to Cheyenne every week and then back the next week. Little man physically, but a giant as far as being a man.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/14/17 01:56 AM

Man I have many things. One of my favorites was an old Italian wine bottle in the shape of an elephants head that stood about three feet tall. He told me boy, if you ever fill that thing with dimes you will be able to get a great vacation. For the last ten years I haven't spent a single dime in change working to fill that bottle. I almost had the head filled in with dimes then last week not watching every move my 2 year old made he decided drag it in the kitchen and knocked it over and it schattered. He was fine thankfully but that was my daily reminder of my grandfather. I also have a very cool Colt 38 police positive and the tackle boxes he use to take me fishing with.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/15/17 12:17 AM

My step grandfather was closer to me than the others. He was a watch repair man and they owned a jewelry store. A lot of wisdom came from him if you got a seat on his porch swing. He had this on a desk in his bedroom. I keep it in my cube...I think it was made for playing cards (he liked to play poker at the elks club on Wednesday's.

Posted By: Pilothawk

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/15/17 12:38 AM

Nada.

Mom was an orphan, and dads father was a nasty SOB. I knew the man....I have zero fond memories of him.

Unfortunate, huh.
Posted By: TR176

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/15/17 02:02 AM

I went to the old homplace in Cass County and took the plates off an old pickup left in the pasture. The plates were from 1953. I like to think it was his truck. My maturnal Gpa lived in a foreign country and I only saw him once and that was in passing.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/15/17 02:32 AM

Fish scaler, drill, saw. All still work. Drill and saw date to late 50s. All metal no plastic. Grandpa on moms side. From dads side I have muzzleloader and fly rod. Also, several pics from 1920/21 Chicago Bears when he played with George Halas.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: What do you have that reminds you of your grandfather? - 03/15/17 11:22 AM

I have Dajjies (I got to name him as I was the first grandchild) .22 that I uses to kill my first squirrel and I have his love for fishing. He was a Baptist preacher in eastern Oklahoma and we always had plenty of places to hunt and fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum