Texas Fishing Forum

Water Heater

Posted By: SgtDag

Water Heater - 01/18/17 11:34 AM

Woke up to cold water and a flooded basement. Now I'm tired and pissed
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 01:59 PM

Got a similar phone call years ago when I was separated from my ex. She was at the house. The water heater was in the garage so not too much of a mess.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 02:08 PM

At least it was in your basement and not a hallway closet.
Yes they have actually put hot water heaters in hallway closets in homes.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: blooper961

Actually, there have been several people on here that talk about having them in the attic. That could be a mess.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 02:18 PM

Bummer. Tankless with auto shut off is the way to go if you have gas.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: PondFish

Actually, there have been several people on here that talk about having them in the attic. That could be a mess.

Nothing worse. My wife's uncle owns a property restoration company, I've helped him out here and there, and there is absolutely nothing worse than the mess of having a water heater in the attic go out. Well maybe a bad sewage backup, but not by much.
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 02:28 PM

Pretty common in GP. My house was built in '37 and it's in the hall closet with hvac.
Grandparents home was built in late '50 and is also in hallway.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Dag˛Bill
Woke up to cold water and a flooded basement. Now I'm tired and pissed

What Brand?

I had an AO Smith go out after 7 years. Plumber said they are made in Mexico now and don't last very long anymore.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Pretty common in GP. My house was built in '37 and it's in the hall closet with hvac.
Grandparents home was built in late '50 and is also in hallway.

Had one like that in Mesquite. Happened when out of town. Not only a new water heater. Ended up ripping carpet out as well.
Posted By: Jumpmaster

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 03:23 PM

Replace that WH with a Marathon WH and never worry about a rusted WH again. They cost more than the steel tank WH but last forever.
Posted By: Longeye

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 03:28 PM

Just had mine replaced last year. Flooded utility room which is next to my bedroom... No Fun

And for the record, most of the time when your water heater goes completely out and burst, it starts dripping water a few days before and most people don't even realize it. Then it completely will bust. The guy who put my new one in also put a little device in the drain bowl that the water heater sits on. Any detection of the least bit of moisture it will start beeping like crazy. Hopefully you will be home and can shut your water off and replace it or get it fixed before all hell breaks loose...
Posted By: Ojai Angler

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian
Originally Posted By: PondFish

Nothing worse. My wife's uncle owns a property restoration company, I've helped him out here and there, and there is absolutely nothing worse than the mess of having a water heater in the attic go out. Well maybe a bad sewage backup, but not by much.

Can you define BAD ,......
Posted By: Ojai Angler

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Longeye
Just had mine replaced last year. Flooded utility room which is next to my bedroom... No Fun

And for the record, most of the time when your water heater goes completely out and burst, it starts dripping water a few days before and most people don't even realize it. Then it completely will bust. The guy who put my new one in also put a little device in the drain bowl that the water heater sits on. Any detection of the least bit of moisture it will start beeping like crazy. Hopefully you will be home and can shut your water off and replace it or get it fixed before all hell breaks loose...

That is awesome , I've never heard of a detector like that ,....
Posted By: Poboy K.

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 04:41 PM

I put my hot water heater in a closet over 20 years ago. I'm not worried a bit. The solution is simple, a drip pan plumbed to an exterior wall.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Poboy K.
I put my hot water heater in a closet over 20 years ago. I'm not worried a bit. The solution is simple, a drip pan plumbed to an exterior wall.

Why on earth would you have an appliance that heats hot water?

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Why on earth would you have an appliance that heats hot water?

I knew this was coming....it is a water heater, not a hot water heater

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Ojai Angler
Originally Posted By: Longeye

That is awesome , I've never heard of a detector like that ,....

Lowes or Home Depot, he said less than 20 bucks.. it just sits in the bottom of the pan, no attachment needed
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 05:33 PM

You should contact Toad & Drodge I think they installed one a couple weeks, they will probably install you a new one for some wings & a bologna sandwich.
Posted By: Martyman3

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 07:21 PM

Have one in my house in the Attic and only been in it a year. Saw date on Water Heater as 2006....It was changed. Already had a clear water overflow upstairs, that was enough.
Posted By: Canino

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 08:20 PM

Every house in my subdivision has the water heater in the attic. It's a Lenar subdivision.

Not only that, but the plumbing contractor they used, I found out, used old stock for everything. Must have found a warehouse of unsold plumbing equipment and bought it cheap.

My house was built in 2000. The manufacture date on the original heater was 1996. They also used outdated and no-longer-manufactured polybutylene for the run from the meter to the outside valve, so a bunch of us have had to have that garbage replaced.

I got estimates for moving the water heater to the garage, but it'll just be cheaper in the long run for me to keep replacing water heaters earlier than actually needed than to have the move done. I got a new pan and one of those alarms, and I make sure the batteries are good in the alarm by replacing them when I do my air filters.
Posted By: Martyman3

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Canino
Every house in my subdivision has the water heater in the attic. It's a Lenar subdivision.

Not only that, but the plumbing contractor they used, I found out, used old stock for everything. Must have found a warehouse of unsold plumbing equipment and bought it cheap.

My house was built in 2000. The manufacture date on the original heater was 1996. They also used outdated and no-longer-manufactured polybutylene for the run from the meter to the outside valve, so a bunch of us have had to have that garbage replaced.

I got estimates for moving the water heater to the garage, but it'll just be cheaper in the long run for me to keep replacing water heaters earlier than actually needed than to have the move done. I got a new pan and one of those alarms, and I make sure the batteries are good in the alarm by replacing them when I do my air filters.

I have one of those as well. Ran a power cord to it, not going to worry about batteries and get bit by forgetting. But they do work, they broke the seal on the exhaust stack and the roof leaked into the pan and shut that water right off.
Posted By: TexasBlonde

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 08:52 PM

Ours is plumbed to drain outside too. No worries here.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Water Heater - 01/18/17 09:17 PM

Our house was built in the 70,s and the heater is in the garage where it should be.
Its about the only thing Fox and Jacobs did right.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum