Texas Fishing Forum

When should air bags deploy?

Posted By: Squirrely Dan

When should air bags deploy? - 08/19/16 09:56 PM

My son was in a wreck today and thankfully he's fine. A car in front of him caused an accident which caused him to hit another car. He was going around 60mph and hit a car while slamming his breaks so he had started deceleration. The airbags did not deploy. Should they have?
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: When should air bags deploy? - 08/19/16 09:58 PM

Better call Saul!
Posted By: aquaholic1822

Re: When should air bags deploy? - 08/19/16 10:07 PM

guy ran a red light and hit my wife on monday, hers did not go off either...he was going 40 mph
Posted By: RayBob

Re: When should air bags deploy? - 08/19/16 10:25 PM

Googled this:

"Frontal air bags are generally designed to deploy in "moderate to severe" frontal or near-frontal crashes, which are defined as crashes that are equivalent to hitting a solid, fixed barrier at 8 to 14 mph or higher. (This would be equivalent to striking a parked car of similar size at about 16 to 28 mph or higher.)"
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: When should air bags deploy? - 08/19/16 10:29 PM

They just muffle the screams more than anything.
Posted By: machinist

Re: When should air bags deploy? - 08/19/16 11:44 PM

just before you need them
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: When should air bags deploy? - 08/19/16 11:58 PM

at all depends the angle and speed of an impact and the srs system you have on the vehicle
Posted By: Lead slinger

Re: When should air bags deploy? - 08/20/16 12:06 AM

I get asked this daily. Has to impact the sensor to trigger them to deploy.
Posted By: austin_on_guitar

Re: When should air bags deploy? - 08/20/16 12:10 AM

From what I understand, having a small explosion inflating a pillow is not the most preferable type of thing to have happen when otherwise things would be okay. As in, if they didn't inflate and the seatbelt worked, then yay, no broken nose. Especially if it's a Takata airbag, in which case, yay, no severed jugular.
Posted By: JavelinJ

Re: When should air bags deploy? - 08/20/16 02:02 PM

My daugter cashed at 25 mph and all airbags including the curtain airbags deployed.
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: When should air bags deploy? - 08/20/16 02:19 PM

no, the sensor does not have to take a direct impact, it's all about inertia.

ps, airbags do save lives period. granted, they can cut, burn, or even break a nose but it sure beats the other possible injury/death, and yes, i hear all the time if you go thru an airbag deployment, you wont want to go thru it again
Posted By: Jman

Re: When should air bags deploy? - 08/20/16 02:46 PM

Was driving somewhere in Little Elm (North Texas) and caught glimpse of a loose tire/rim combo rolling/bouncing in the oncoming lane. No idea where it came from. An F150 service vehicle for some company hit it head on launching it in the other direction onto their shoulder, thankfully. I watched both airbags deploy in that truck and I had slowed enough to catch them pulling over to the side and getting out of the truck. First, I was amazed that they were able to do that as the whole cab looked like it filled with baby powder and when one stepped out of the drivers side a huge cloud of smoke vented from the door. I bet it scared the [censored] out of them.

Point being is if it could go off for hitting a tire, I surely would think and want it to go off hitting something larger. I'm not savvy on air bags but something doesn't seem right to me on that one.
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: When should air bags deploy? - 08/20/16 03:07 PM

Saw Youtube video recently that addresses that very problem.

Picture an impatient young man sitting at a stop sign in his fancy expensive convertible waiting for an old lady with a large purse and cane struggling ever so slowly to cross in front of him. The impatient young man lays on the horn trying to hurry her along. The slow old lady gets exasperated at the horn honking and takes a hefty swing at the car with her purse. And the airbag deploys.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum