Texas Fishing Forum

First Date

Posted By: learnin to fish

First Date - 04/17/24 01:26 AM

Seeing the comments on the Red Lobster thread got me curious.

Where did you take your spouse on the first date?

Joe’s Crabshack for me, 25 years ago.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:30 AM

Candlelight Inn in Arlington 52 years ago. Double date.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:31 AM

my first wife was Sonic at 16

second was a high class 5 star steakhouse
Posted By: steveiam

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:34 AM

Jack in the box-
Told her she could have anything on the menu!
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:39 AM

K- Bob's Steakhouse, Dumas, Tx.
Posted By: Wool E. Booger

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by steveiam
Jack in the box-
Told her she could have anything on the menu!

clap
Posted By: CCTX

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:45 AM

Hoffbrau Steakhouse then Sharky’s

Then I’ll never tell.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:47 AM

Fuddruckers then a movie.
Posted By: malibu6501

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
K- Bob's Steakhouse, Dumas, Tx.

I've spent the night in Dumas, Texas on the way to Angelfire. Not much there in Dumas, but it was a welcome stop for sure.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:12 AM

Spaghetti warehouse in the stockyards. Still married 32 years later.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:13 AM

She showed up at my house unannounced so I ordered a pizza
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Curt0407

My massage instructor's parents opened that place. The new owners still use my instructor's father's recipes. Their family photo is in the entry.

Knowing this will bring a smile to my instructor's face. Her mom died several years ago, and her dad passed before that.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by learnin to fish

Joe’s Crabshack Nashville 18 years ago. She was a stewardess and I met her in an elevator.
Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:26 AM

Tony Rommas 1993, she says I stared at her boobs the whole time.
Posted By: Rangerkev

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:29 AM

Italian Inn, Camp Bowie Blvd, Ft.Worth. I remember how cool I thought it was to sit with the doors shut at our booth.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:29 AM

Supper at Zentler's Daughter, then dancing at the Santa Fe Junction...
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jig Man

Standard date in SA in the 90’s.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:54 AM

The ole Candlelight Inn. Did you have steak, Italian or Mexican food?
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:54 AM

The year was 1972 and Candlelite Inn in Arlington was the spot. Pretty dang good steak dinner and big frosty mugs of beer. Good enough for a boy in High School.

45 years next January.
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 03:01 AM

I don't remember where we ate but I do remember the first date and the movie we went to. I looked at the reviews and they were good (mistake). I kept telling her it's gotta still be the previews. We left about 15 minutes into the movie.

The name of the movie was the people vs. Larry Flynt and I had no idea!!! How's that for a 1st date?

We've been married 26 years....I think that was the dumbest mistake I ever made!

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jig Man

Ate at Zentner’s Daughter a couple of times when playing at Angelo State’s stadium.

Oh my 1st date I went to Mr. Gatti’s pizza and to the movie house to see Oh God starring George Burns, John Denver and Teri Garr in Longview, Texas. I married that ole girl 9 years later and just celebrated our 37th anniversary in February. The year was 19 hundred and 78. I was 15 but had my hardship license, (utes can google that) and she was 14. I may or may not have gotten a little stanky finger that night bolt
Posted By: frognot

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 03:13 AM

Fishmonger's Seafood Restaurant in Plano the day after her birthday (I had to work her birthday).
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 03:15 AM

Taco trucks in Mexico and the drinking at a club. 26 yr later I still put up with her.
Posted By: bassguitarman

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 03:18 AM

Her place
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 03:22 AM

Surprised nobody dropped in at Muffs and got the Boxed lunch.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 03:52 AM

Austin Land & Cattle, 20yrs. ago next month.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by learnin to fish

Joe’s Crabshack Nashville 18 years ago. She was a stewardess and I met her in an elevator.

did either of you get the crabs
bolt
Posted By: Allison1

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 04:19 AM

I sat in a booth with my future wife in 1975 there. I do not recall our first date but remember we went there a couple times while dating.

Since the OP mentioned Red Lobster, we also went there and ate before watching American Graffiti over on Camp Bowie in 1975 too. It was notable in that I got food poisoning after leaving the theater.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Allison1

I sat in a booth with my future wife in 1975 there. I do not recall our first date but remember we went there a couple times while dating.

Since the OP mentioned Red Lobster, we also went there and ate before watching American Graffiti over on Camp Bowie in 1975 too. It was notable in that I got food poisoning after leaving the theater.

thats what they all say when they get the crabs
Posted By: RATZ

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 08:52 AM

HEB in Abilene
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 09:17 AM

Water at my place froze so she treated me to a Hilton
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 10:13 AM

Hard to say for me.

We met when we were freshmen at UT in 1963. She was my girlfriend's roommate. We became good friends for the two years I dated the other girl. After our school years were over, we stayed good friends and each married other people. Over the years we saw each other frequently but it was still just a friendship.

In 1990 she bought a family business from her folks and when customers came into town, I went with her to dinners so she wouldn't be a 3rd wheel. Somewhere during a two-year period our relationship changed, and we were married in 1992.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 10:38 AM

As stated on the other thread, steak and ale in Dunwoody (yes, real name of burb) in 1988, went back a few years later on our 1 year anniversary and sat at the same table
Posted By: gregpaul

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 10:58 AM

Apollo drive-in, Garland. Funds were scarce back then
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 11:20 AM

Bennigan's on St. Patrick's day
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Coach Hark

The ole Candlelight Inn. Did you have steak, Italian or Mexican food?

I don't remember what we had, but we ate there regularly. I was a fan of their great big burrito covered with the salad fixins.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 11:38 AM

Steak and Ale. She picked at her food, didn't really eat much. Then said, "I'd rather have Taco Villa". I knew right then I was going to marry that girl.

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Patriot Guard Rider
Hard to say for me.

We met when we were freshmen at UT in 1963. She was my girlfriend's roommate. We became good friends for the two years I dated the other girl. After our school years were over, we stayed good friends and each married other people. Over the years we saw each other frequently but it was still just a friendship.

In 1990 she bought a family business from her folks and when customers came into town, I went with her to dinners so she wouldn't be a 3rd wheel. Somewhere during a two-year period our relationship changed, and we were married in 1992.

that's a good start to a long relationship

congrats to you two. I bet y'all have a great marriage and relationship
Posted By: RayBob

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 11:53 AM

Local restaurants "Taste of the Town" sampler. Held at the Civic Center. From steak bites to cake bites.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 12:03 PM

Olive Garden
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 12:28 PM

Red Lobster in OKC - 1987, followed up by Mosquito Coast with Harrison Ford. Still together despite the choices. roflmao
Posted By: Crowbar

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 12:31 PM

Baby Acapulco on Barton Springs Blvd. Went there to meet up with her and a group of her beauty school friends after they had just graduated. She got about two sips into her second Purple Rita and was DONE! Cheapest date I'd ever had. roflmao Helped her out to my truck and took her home. Carried her into her house, took off her boots and tucked her in. Will be 30 years in December.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 12:47 PM

Colonial tournament
Posted By: WAWI

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 12:53 PM

Hell I don't remember, I think Coffee Landing at lake palestine
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by LoneStarSon

My massage instructor's parents opened that place. The new owners still use my instructor's father's recipes. Their family photo is in the entry.

Knowing this will bring a smile to my instructor's face. Her mom died several years ago, and her dad passed before that.

Candlelight Inn was a weekly lunch gathering spot for a large group of us late 70’s.
First date was probably Circle Disco. roflmao
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:06 PM

We were in 7th grade, 50 years ago... So we probably met up a Burger Chef... She doesn't remember either... Dan
Posted By: von rage

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:06 PM

Compari's in Plano.
Posted By: DillonCan'tFish

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:24 PM

Salt Grass in Cedar Hill. We talked politics, religion, and money. We were both tired of dating people not serious about life and hashed it out right there. I left there knowing I couldn't let her get away.
Posted By: mstring

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:38 PM

State Fair. I even got her on the Texas Star even though she is deathly afraid of heights
Posted By: Flip Flop Fisher

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 01:52 PM

Pizza Inn
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:12 PM

Don't remember the restaurant but there was a Y close by.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:33 PM

Campisi's on Mockingbird Lane in Dallas.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:49 PM

We initially met at Cheevo's Birthday Party in Jonestown, 1982.

Forward to 1997, asked her to go to the U2 concert in SA. After partying on the Riverwalk, we barely made it to the concert. We ate at Boudro's.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 02:55 PM

Our first date...

We first met at a Christmas party my friend invited me to. I had lost my wife several months before and was moping around the home. My buddy who was a Sherriff at the time convinced me to join him for this big hotshot lawyer party. You bring an unwrapped gift to get admission into a all you can eat, drink, and dance event. Let's say the party is a riot!

I'm standing next to the dance floor after being handed several nuclear kamikaze shots. Mid conversation, I get bumped into and spill my 7-7 onto my jacket. As I look down to assess the damage and speak my mind to whomever bumped into me, I'm stopped in awe. Her eyes were piercing blue and practically looked right into your soul. After apologies and some introductions, we spent the night together dancing and having a great time.

The night ended and we went our way after exchanging numbers. I text her that evening thanking her for a good evening and invited her to a friends house for a boxing match and Filipino food extravaganza.

We've been together since. AHAHHAHA
Posted By: 9094

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 03:50 PM

Bowling. 8th grade. Her idea little did I know she had been bowling since she was 8. Was in 2 leagues. I had never been before and she kicked my arse.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 04:04 PM

took her to a chinese restaurant in lake viillage,Ark. and spent entire time talking to roland martin who happened to sit down next to us.....
first time i took her fishing,she didn't want to fish just watch me....picked up a spinnerbait and started working down a grass line and about the 3 rd cast,she commented "how are going to catch anything if you don't leave it out there?"....should have known right then...been married 44 years...
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 04:35 PM

The missus and I discussed this and finally remembered the name of the Restaurant we had our first date. It was called "The Rendezvous Cafe" in Phoebus, Virginia. I was stationed at Langley at the time.
50 years ago, apr-may 1974.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21
Bennigan's on St. Patrick's day

Same for me and my wife, Bennigans in Arlington 1984, my buddy was the bartender there so he gets an assist.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Scoundrel
Originally Posted by LoneStarSon

Candlelight Inn was a weekly lunch gathering spot for a large group of us late 70’s.
First date was probably Circle Disco. roflmao

C Inn
What a great place
Posted By: DCmac

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 04:47 PM

1st real date, now long-long gone seafood place in York Beach ME. Surf & surf: beer batter cod & boiled lobster. Still clearly remember what she wore, and no it wasn't anything skimpy or revealing (I was home for Christmas leave).
Posted By: Ox190

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
Steak and Ale. She picked at her food, didn't really eat much. Then said, "I'd rather have Taco Villa". I knew right then I was going to marry that girl.

Odessa?

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by 921 Phoenix
Hard to say for me.

It's been great.

Side story - the roommate and I had talked around getting married, but when her mom found out she made her transfer to TCU. I guess mom didn't like poor boys from Oak Cliff in Dallas. It turned out great, but reminds me every now and then about a Garth Brooks tune, "Thank God for Unanswered Prayers."
Posted By: 206champion

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 07:03 PM

Mine was a blind date at a bonfire (we went to different high schools) 48 years ago . We have been married almost 46 years.

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 08:24 PM

Hard to say for me.

It's been great.

Side story - the roommate and I had talked around getting married, but when her mom found out she made her transfer to TCU. I guess mom didn't like poor boys from Oak Cliff in Dallas. It turned out great, but reminds me every now and then about a Garth Brooks tune, "Thank God for Unanswered Prayers."

yes wish I had a couple more unanswered prayers my life would be so much better
Posted By: Allison1

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 08:24 PM

I declare both Candlelight Inn and Arlington as the winners in the restaurant and town categories that most marriages begin.
Posted By: me and the boys

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 08:36 PM

Church ice cream dinner. 1986
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 09:16 PM

Dairy Queen and a backroad.... she still plays hard to get
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 09:52 PM

Dallas Stars Hockey Game
Posted By: JCG57

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 10:08 PM

St. Martin's Wine Bistro on Greenville Ave. It was my go-to first date option in Dallas. Very high tone place, but could get out for not a lot of cash by splitting a cheese board and getting a couple glasses of wine.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 10:10 PM

A movie double date. She was so pretty. I didn’t care what movie.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by me and the boys
Church ice cream dinner. 1986

You ate ice cream for dinner?

Re: First Date - 04/17/24 10:39 PM

Hard to say for me.

It's been great.

PGR, we’ve never said a cross word to each other on here and I’m going to keep it that way. BUT, poor folks don’t go to UT they go to UTA(University of Texas Almost) or East Texas State University (where I went)‼️

Re: First Date - 04/18/24 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Coach Hark
Hard to say for me.

It's been great.

PGR, we’ve never said a cross word to each other on here and I’m going to keep it that way. BUT, poor folks don’t go to UT they go to UTA(University of Texas Almost) or East Texas State University (where I went)‼️

Well, poor folks could go to state schools in the mid-60s because tuition was only $50/semester. Not per hour but for a semester (12+ hours) Total tuition, fees, and books for me would be about $400 for the fall and about $350 for the spring since some fees were for the full year. Room and board were the big issue and even then you could work a part time job and pay for everything without loans. I can't remember anyone I knew who had to do loans to go to school back then.

Re: First Date - 04/18/24 12:24 AM

I’m sure there weren't any loans at those prices for tuition. My tuition was paid 2 years on scholarship ‘83 and ‘84 but I can’t remember what tuition was in ‘85 and ‘86. That’ll give me something to research.
Posted By: JCBYEN

Re: First Date - 04/18/24 12:27 AM

Shrine Circus in Ft Worth. Been together 16 years since.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: First Date - 04/18/24 02:16 AM

Mamacitas Mexican food in Clear Lake. At the time I thought it was a pretty swanky….lol. Since then we have traveled quite a bit to bucket list places and been to many super nice restaurants.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: First Date - 04/18/24 10:17 AM

Charcoal Broiler in Denton , Mid 70's
Posted By: RussellWayne

Re: First Date - 04/18/24 12:53 PM

Buzzard Billy's Waco Texas.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum