Texas Fishing Forum

Is north Texas…….

Posted By: TexDawg

Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 07:21 PM

The windiest fricking place that people inhabit in North America?
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 07:22 PM

Okie city I believe holds that record. I read a few yrs. back that the avg. daily wind speed is 14.8 or some such.

calm before the storm out here right now.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 07:23 PM

it's worse than chicago.

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 07:26 PM

It’s unrelenting, and it sucks
Posted By: Quillback

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 07:32 PM

It blows from Oklahoma to here. Windiest spring I can remember and it is supposed to blow all weekend.
Posted By: Clearwater7

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 07:33 PM

Good to know... will check North Texas off the list of possible relocation destinations thumb
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
it's worse than chicago.

No it’s not….. not even close
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost4BH
it's worse than chicago.

the average wind speed in chicago is 10.2 MPH. unless it's summertime here, it's windier.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 07:49 PM

My wife asked the same thing last weekend. Beautiful weather, no clouds and sunny. Let’s go fishing, she walks outside and says never mind the wind will blow us off the water. It’s that way every time she’s off of work. The Champion Mean 16 doesn’t take the 15+ winds very well. It cuts through the choppy water but my problem is trying to keep it somewhat in place while fishing.

Amarillo and Lubbock are the windiest in the US. Chi-town doesn’t even make the top 10. Corpus, Wichita Falls, and Abilene are also in the top 10. 5 of the top 10 windiest cities in the US are in Texas. I’ve always wondered how those west Texas people fished. Texoma gets pretty rough too.

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 07:51 PM

it's worse than chicago.

the average wind speed in chicago is 10.2 MPH. unless it's summertime here, it's windier.

The wind blows here for a short time in spring, then it’s dead all summer and the rest of the year.

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 08:05 PM

If you want no wind the least windiest city is LA, California. To stay in the south Georgia has 3 of the least windiest cities and Tennessee has two of the least windiest cities. That’s all according to google and it says average daily wind in Okie city is 11.3 hop. They do have their record high of 151 mph in 2011 only to be topped by Corpus with a 161 mph wind in 1970.
Posted By: Harleydude

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 08:06 PM

Amarillo probably has most places beat. Midland, Odessa, Lubbock……we are all pretty windy places from time to time. Blowing pretty good here right now actually.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 08:08 PM

The wind is your friend

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Westside.
The wind is your friend

For 3 months, June, July and August.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 08:17 PM

it's worse than chicago.

Any wind in Chicago in January is worse than anything in Texas short of a tornado.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 08:23 PM

the wind blows here so much cause Oklahoma sucks

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 08:25 PM

The wind is your friend

It cried Mary
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 08:29 PM

You guys have never lived in Corpus Christi Texas. It never stops blowing. Way worse than Oklahoma. Heck I’d say the coast around Houston is far worse then Oklahoma or North Texas. If you really want to see it blow go hang out lower Texas coast, South Padre etc.

I moved from Corpus to Houston to get away from the wind on South Texas Coast.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 08:36 PM

Wyoming has two towns in the top five. the eastern side of the rockies takes the trophy. North TX to southern Kansas is second, Chicago doesn't even make the top ten windiest cities/places

https://www.weatherstationadvisor.com/windiest-cities-in-the-us/
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg
The windiest fricking place that people inhabit in North America?

Who’s walking down the streets of the city?
Posted By: CaptainCrunch

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 08:54 PM

I'm surprised I'm not fishing today. Ultrex would be begging for mercy.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Coach Hark
If you want no wind the least windiest city is LA, California. To stay in the south Georgia has 3 of the least windiest cities and Tennessee has two of the least windiest cities. That’s all according to google and it says average daily wind in Okie city is 11.3 hop. They do have their record high of 151 mph in 2011 only to be topped by Corpus with a 161 mph wind in 1970.

kansas must not suck as much now.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
You guys have never lived in Corpus Christi Texas. It never stops blowing. Way worse than Oklahoma. Heck I’d say the coast around Houston is far worse then Oklahoma or North Texas. If you really want to see it blow go hang out lower Texas coast, South Padre etc.

I was gonna say, The Valley gets more than its fair share. That and humidity.
Posted By: Fourjs

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 09:10 PM

For me, Lubbock, hands down. Wind + dust is terrible. Grew up there. Don’t miss it a bit.

Jimmy
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 09:13 PM

I would have agreed with that until I found myself in SE Indiana. We have a few acres of pasture behind our house that the neighbor's horse occupies. The wind that whips through here is like I've never seen before. Not even in 10 years of living in North Texas.
Posted By: Quillback

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 09:14 PM

Every time I have been to South Dakota it blew. Apparently not enough to make the top 10. I looked up Pierre SD and it was just below the top 10 list at 11.3 MPH average wind speed. So that state blows too.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 09:18 PM

I am sick of the wind for sure.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 09:18 PM

causes a lot of problems in the roofing world

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Clearwater7
Good to know... will check North Texas off the list of possible relocation destinations thumb

the reason for that would not be wind
Posted By: Harleydude

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 09:20 PM

Yeah, south Texas is a windy beeeotch too.

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders

Correct, it's because Arlington lies in North Texas
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 09:54 PM

A windy day in North Texas isn't much more than a stiff breeze up here in the panhandle.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 10:07 PM

^^^ true

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 10:09 PM

I saw Corpus on the list. I bet Brownsville has higher winds than Corpus, too far off the beaten path lol. I watched a weather show a few years back that said the windiest place in the state of Texas was the Laguna Atascosa wildlife refuge. Lots of windy places in this state.

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 10:13 PM

The wind speed in Corpus today was 26, it was 16 in Lubbock.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
A windy day in North Texas isn't much more than a stiff breeze up here in the panhandle.

No kidding, we bought us a ranch just north of Childress, building a cabin on the highest part of the ranch, it is always windy up there, hope we did not mess up by building up there but the view is awesome.

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 11:22 PM

The wind speed in Corpus today was 26, it was 16 in Lubbock.

I ate lunch too so I guess world hunger is no more.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/10/24 11:59 PM

The only times the wind doesn't blow are when it's 100° with a life threatening heat index in the summer...and when it's 18° under an Arctic high pressure system in the winter. In other words, when fishing sucks.

Spring and fall, when fish are active and temperatures are nice? Think Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

I think I'd like to spend one summer in Minnesota or Canada, when highs are in the 70s and the wind isn't howling.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Happykamper

No kidding, we bought us a ranch just north of Childress, building a cabin on the highest part of the ranch, it is always windy up there, hope we did not mess up by building up there but the view is awesome.

Drive the speed limit through the following towns:

Wichita Falls, especially that first part where there is a cement wall Smokey can hide
Electra
Vernon…go five under just to be safe
Childress
Memphis
Clarendon…definitely Clarendon
Claude…most certainly Claude
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by CCTX

Wichita Falls, especially that first part where there is a cement wall Smokey can hide
Electra
Childress
Memphis

You forgot Estelline. Probably the most notorious speed trap in Texas.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 12:49 AM

I've lived in Chicago...NTX has it beat!

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 12:52 AM

Correct, it's because Arlington lies in North Texas

& you & i live here

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 01:09 AM

I don't live in Arlington, Butch
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 01:33 AM

Electra
Childress
Memphis

You left off Decatur.

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 02:17 AM

He’s a little slow
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by TexDawg
It’s unrelenting, and it sucks

It mostly blows if i decide to take the boat out fishing. Then they say, " the wind is your friend". They are lying bastages.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by LoneStarSon

Electra
Childress
Memphis

You left off Decatur.

I set my cruise at 82 between Decatur and WF and drive it at least twice a week, never been hassled by the law. Now don't deviate over 1mph once you get to WF the whole damn town is a speed trap and they're proud of it.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 03:46 AM

I got a ticket on New Year's Day in Chillicothe. The cop pulled me over in Allsup's and asked why I was speeding in a 45 mph construction zone. I told him I didn't see a construction zone or speed limit sign. After he wrote the ticket I drove back past him and the sorry SOB had a sign on the ground leaned up against his back tire.

I sent my money to some JP with a note that said their s***hole town apparently needed the money worse than I did. That was years ago, and to this day I have never spent one dime there. I have probably driven through 75 times.

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 04:14 AM

We go to our place at Fork at least 8-12 times a year. We get on 287 at Claude and on the other side of Wichita Falls take the Henrietta exit and go 82 to Bells were we go south down 69 to Emory. We go through all those small towns and yes they make alot of their revenue from speeders. I really think Estellene has lessened up the last couple years. Memphis will get ya, got pulled over for 48 in a 45 on the west side of town not 100 ft. From where it goes to 60 and back up to 75. That ticket cost $300, I crawl through there since then. Yes that cop is always on the East side of Chillicothe right at the curve before Alsups. Stop at Tx.Pecans in Chillicothe, it's a very neat store.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Razorback
I got a ticket on New Year's Day in Chillicothe. The cop pulled me over in Allsup's and asked why I was speeding in a 45 mph construction zone. I told him I didn't see a construction zone or speed limit sign. After he wrote the ticket I drove back past him and the sorry SOB had a sign on the ground leaned up against his back tire.

I sent my money to some JP with a note that said their s***hole town apparently needed the money worse than I did. That was years ago, and to this day I have never spent one dime there. I have probably driven through 75 times.

I got nailed there back in December, the cop was pretty nice about it but he was not letting me off, it goes from 75 down to 45 rather quickly.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fourjs
For me, Lubbock, hands down. Wind + dust is terrible. Grew up there. Don’t miss it a bit.

Jimmy

I second this post. Lived there my first 40 years.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 01:05 PM

It really blows when you want to sight fish. It's like clockwork

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 01:13 PM

He’s a little slow

Not as much as you 2 though
The thread is about North Texas
Where both of you live
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 01:20 PM

He’s a little slow

Where both of you live

All of north texas is not created equal

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI

He’s a little slow

Where both of you live

All of north texas is not created equal

I still can’t understand how some people think Arlington is a decent place to live.

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/11/24 03:31 PM

I can’t understand how a wind blowing post turned into a speed trap post. BUT on the positive side Biden or Trump hasn’t been blamed for the wind YET. It hasn’t turned political YET roflmao
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/12/24 01:41 AM

The windiest place on Earth is wherever I am fishing.

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/12/24 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
The windiest place on Earth is wherever I am fishing.

No truer statement has been said on this site‼️
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/12/24 03:17 AM

are you calling north Texas everything north of Brownsville, or Austin,or Waco, Or Dallas,or Amarillo? LMAO

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/12/24 09:40 AM

Gonna howl all weekend
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/12/24 11:59 AM

The weather here is almost perfect. Avg high is in the 70s, average low - the 50s.
Except for a few weeks each Summer, it’s great. Normal Summer highs are around 95.
Not much snow or ice. Almost 40” of rain annually.
Spring is wet and windy at times, it’s Spring.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/12/24 12:05 PM

It's just springtime. Always windy.
Posted By: Space

Re: Is north Texas……. - 04/12/24 12:08 PM

Windy here in Central Texas never seems to let up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum