Texas Fishing Forum

Busted pipe update

Posted By: TexDawg

Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 10:16 PM

First of all, I know many of you or your family or friends had much worse damage due to the winter storm a few weeks ago. I actually consider myself very lucky we were home when the pipe burst, and that it was daytime and not the middle of the night. We were able to contain it somewhat.

So, we have had several restoration crews through the house in the past week, prior to the plumber and since. One guy took a bunch of moisture readings, then two guys showed up and took more readings that didn’t quite jive with the first guy. Then the demo crew showed and began tearing out some wall board and cut a few holes in the back of the cabinets to see how far the water got. He also had to rip out some of the backsplash. Fortunately it did not get too far behind the cabinets but it did soak some of the laundry room wallboard which had to be removed.

Today, the “equipment “ guy showed up with 5 industrial fans and a dehumidifier that have to run for 3 days, and to say they are loud is an understatement. The first floor is basically uninhabitable except for necessities. After the three days of fans running the restoration begins. This is a world class pita but again, I came out better than a lot of folks.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 10:30 PM

Hang in dawg!
Posted By: COFF

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 10:32 PM

I helped a buddy who is going through the same thing. His laundry room pipe broke and flooded entire 1st floor. They installed new hardwood flooring about 18 months ago, and now it is totally warped and buckled. I've played golf with greens that had fewer elevation changes than his floors. We moved all of his furniture into the garage so they could bring in the fans.

Hang in there Dawg. Good luck with your remodel.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 10:34 PM

Hope they get it fixed soon and glad they've got something working for you. I was lucky too and am grateful for it.
Posted By: kcb

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 10:35 PM

Water going through places in a house it is not supposed to go through is a complete pain. You don't realize it until you have seen it or lived it. I have lived in my house close to 30 years and have had a couple water events at mine so I can somewhat relate.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 10:39 PM

Dawg you're welcome to come stay with me during the restoration. I can have my kids go stay at my moms so you can have a room or two if you choose. I have good internet so you can work from home. I just bought a case of spaghettio's too.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝
Dawg you're welcome to come stay with me during the restoration. I can have my kids go stay at my moms so you can have a room or two if you choose. I have good internet so you can work from home. I just bought a case of spaghettio's too.

I have an aged 6 pack of vienna sausage I can donate, been on the shelf for at least 5 yrs. now so they are about perfectly aged.

hang in dawg, like you said, it could be a lot worse.
I did ceiling repairs for 3 condos that had upstairs pipes burst in breckenridge, that is something you never want to see, all 3 broke over the kitchens while owners were not there, manager of the property saw water running out a front door.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 10:58 PM

TexDawg, hopefully this will be behind you very soon. We only had 2 lines freeze up but I got to them before any damage. Opening the faucets relieved the pressure buildup from causing damage. That said, I got up one morning and stepped into water from a pinhole in a pipe inside the slab, I understand your pain on the clean up. Wet carpet takes awhile to dry.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 11:03 PM

If I remember correctly from when we had a flood at the lake house, TURN OFF YOUR A/C...at least for the downstairs. You can burn your unit up with those big fans going.
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 11:08 PM

Just leave the wife downstairs, so you don't have to hear her talk.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 11:12 PM

Best of luck and visit the liquor store as needed. Food is good for you but liquor makes you forget.

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Flyfisherman
Just leave the wife downstairs, so you don't have to hear her talk.

Ya know, you catch on fast young man
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 11:28 PM

It will all be over soon. Hang in there! thumb

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 11:30 PM

Derek, that is a snazzy offer buddy. The spaghettio’s make it irresistible
Posted By: DJTripleR

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 11:35 PM

26 fans and 3 dehumidifiers in my house. Not a square inch of my 3 month old floor that didn't have 3 inches of water on it.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg

Derek, that is a snazzy offer buddy. The spaghettio’s make it irresistible

He's just looking for a new cuddle buddy. The spaghettios ain't worth it, Dawg.
Posted By: plumbcrazy

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/03/21 11:48 PM

It's just getting started I'm going to have to work do the rest of the year still have people on the waiting list and the calls just keep coming cheers

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/04/21 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by DJTripleR
26 fans and 3 dehumidifiers in my house. Not a square inch of my 3 month old floor that didn't have 3 inches of water on it.

Dang man, very sorry to hear, that’s miserable

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/04/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by plumbcrazy
It's just getting started I'm going to have to work do the rest of the year still have people on the waiting list and the calls just keep coming cheers

I can only imagine, hope you are making bank
Posted By: plumbcrazy

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/04/21 01:23 AM

woot
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/04/21 01:23 AM

Hope all is back to normal soon.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/04/21 01:24 AM

Restoration companies are a joke. Those fans are costing your insurance company $200 per day each yet the fans are $79 to buy. A good general contractor is worth their weight in gold when something like this happens.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/04/21 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Hope all is back to normal soon.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/04/21 01:33 AM

I had a small smoky meltdown of an old motorcycle in my garage years ago and the insurance company called in a “restoration” company. They were there before I really knew they were coming and I like to have never got them out. Possibly closest thing to a scam without actually being a scam. Insurance company paid through the teeth. I finally changed the locks on the house.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/04/21 01:59 AM

I am in Fate and feel very fortunate that we had no power outages. Power comes in to my neighborhood on poles. We use to have a lot of short term outages.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/04/21 02:32 AM

Hang in there Dawg!
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/05/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Restoration companies are a joke. Those fans are costing your insurance company $200 per day each yet the fans are $79 to buy. A good general contractor is worth their weight in gold when something like this happens.

Open the North/South windows this time of year. Should dry out in a day or so.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/05/21 01:30 AM

exactly how it should work
hang in there
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/05/21 06:35 AM

Were you not there when it started flooding? I'd think it possible to get it turned off before 3 inches accumulated.
Posted By: DJTripleR

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/05/21 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

Were you not there when it started flooding? I'd think it possible to get it turned off before 3 inches accumulated.

It was 44 degrees in the house. Our neighborhood was out of electricity for almost 3 days with the exception of a couple hours/

Posted By: Space

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/06/21 01:14 PM

Got ours repaired Thursday but had to by-pass the water softener and uv light because of broken parts.

Re: Busted pipe update - 03/06/21 02:04 PM

The fans come out today, I hope. Just about had enough of those loudly droning. I can’t imagine what DJTrip is dealing with due to the amount of fans he has going.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum