Texas Fishing Forum

Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's

Posted By: Trickster

Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 12:53 AM

They have said there is no money to be made in these because they were over produced. Guess what. They have taken off somewhat and I have made a little coin.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 01:12 AM

A couple of intriguing examples would be nice.

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by TR176

Stay tuned. Now drinking
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 01:16 AM

What about comic books ? how they doing ?

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Trickster
Originally Posted by TR176

Stay tuned. Now drinking

Can't add image at this time. My luck.

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kentucky
What about comic books ? how they doing ?

If you have comics in great condition from the 60's-80's you need to do some research. I'm not an expert but they are in demand.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 01:23 AM

I threw all mine away a year or two ago. A huge box full. Michael jordan, nolan ryan, didn't matter, I wasn't wasting my time in $3.00 cards... Great...

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by cocodrie
I threw all mine away a year or two ago. A huge box full. Michael jordan, nolan ryan, didn't matter, I wasn't wasting my time in $3.00 cards... Great...

I think a bunch followed suit. Maybe that is why they are up in price a bit.. Don't know but will post my findings if things go well.
Posted By: lanman71

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 01:31 AM

Any of y’all get into the nbatopshots stuff? Blockchain video moments. I’ve made over 900% so far. Got lucky on a pack drop and scored a decent card. $9 gets you 3 cards if you’re lucky enough to get your number drawn. Seen some videos listed over $100k. There’s crazy money if you get a rare video. I don’t see how it’s going to be successful long term since you can still watch any of the 5-10 second videos on YouTube or wherever, but for some reason, making it a blockchain makes them worth $$$$. I’m only in for $18 so far, so I don’t care if it tanks, but if keeps going like it is, I’ll be sitting pretty.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 01:32 AM

I've heard extremely antidotally, that baseball cards are picking up.

I've got some good ones. Might be worth $2.75 for the "good" ones. Do have a factor sealed 89 UD set. Looked on eBay and those were going for like forty bucks. But there was skepticism if they were actually factory. Mine is. Bought it myself when I was like eight years old. Lots of weed pulling for that.

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by lanman71
Any of y’all get into the nbatopshots stuff? Blockchain video moments. I’ve made over 900% so far. Got lucky on a pack drop and scored a decent card. $9 gets you 3 cards if you’re lucky enough to get your number drawn. Seen some videos listed over $100k. There’s crazy money if you get a rare video. I don’t see how it’s going to be successful long term since you can still watch any of the 5-10 second videos on YouTube or wherever, but for some reason, making it a blockchain makes them worth $$$$. I’m only in for $18 so far, so I don’t care if it tanks, but if keeps going like it is, I’ll be sitting pretty.

Very interesting. Will look into this.
Posted By: lanman71

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 01:42 AM

The vast majority of videos are worth $10-$35 or so..
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 02:23 AM

Last time I priced out some of my better cards was over 20 years ago. I think my best card was a Michael Jordan when he played for the White Sox farm team. Was $10 if I recall.

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat
Last time I priced out some of my better cards was over 20 years ago. I think my best card was a Michael Jordan when he played for the White Sox farm team. Was $10 if I recall.

That was a cool card. Fleer?

It's likely worth $2.23 plus shipping.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Originally Posted by BCBassCat

That was a cool card. Fleer?

It's likely worth $2.23 plus shipping.

Buzzkill
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 03:13 AM

Sports cards have gone up a little in value since the Covid-19 outbreak. Collectors are looking for cards to complete full sets. If you have a card that a collector is looking for, you can make some money. Michael Jordon cards have always held their price. thumb
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 04:08 AM

I might have to break mine out and look through them! confused 3
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 02:00 PM

I was into it in the late 80's, bought and sold at a card vender in our little town. Had several Ken Griffey Jr. rookie cards plus unopened foil packs of Upper Deck. I guess I need to break them out.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 02:19 PM

about 20 years ago I moved into a rent house in lake worth on the lake. In that house was 2 shoe boxes of sports trading cards. I still have them. I have never looked to see what cards are in them. I knew one day they may be worth some money so I have held onto them to look at one day. I forgot about them until I moved some stuff out of storage a few months ago. They are locked away now if a safe spot until I get time to look through them. I need to index and make a spreadsheet of what cards are in there, just not interested in taking the time to do it yet. maybe one day. lol.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 04:01 PM

My son is a big collector,since the late 80’s, he has a Patrick Mahomes Texas tech card , it took a big jump after the chiefs won the super bowl.. if I remember right, $400. Or so.
I have not asked if it lost value after this year’s loss.

Mo
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 04:19 PM

How much is a KVD rookie card?
Posted By: presley

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 04:22 PM

The only way to get decent money is with PSA graded cards. Need to invest $20 in grading a card!

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 04:22 PM

So this is an interesting topic to me so I dug a bit.

YES card prices are WAY up. Like 50X over a few years ago. BUT its important to know that few years ago many were worth 2-3 cents. Now those same cards might be worth $2. HUGE increase, but no one is retiring just yet.

There are unicorns though, some really valuable stuff is out there if you have the right item and find the right buyer. And as mentioned above the card is graded and certified legit and in the right condition.

I have a few of my favorites still. Maybe 100 or so cards. When I was a kid we had boxes and albums full, thousands of them. They are still cool to look at from time to time. I used to really like to collect the rookie cards of my favorite players. So I have a lot of Dodger rookie cards from the 80's and 90's.

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 04:23 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 04:25 PM

I have an autographed SI cover of Tommy Lasorda.
Priceless unless convinced otherwise.

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 04:26 PM

Good ole Shaw!

Was George transitioning?

Gerry had his stache on point!

Chet needs to keep sunblock in mind and maybe a floppy hat... boys gonna get melanoma.

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
I have an autographed SI cover of Tommy Lasorda.
Priceless unless convinced otherwise.

I will offer $2 plus shipping.

Never mind shipping I will pick it up but then the price goes to $1.80. Not a cent more.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 05:20 PM

If my bank let me deposit percentages, I’d be all over this card collecting thing.

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse
If my bank let me deposit percentages, I’d be all over this card collecting thing.

Thats my point. Is it WAY up. Yes.

But even 100x 2 cents is not enough to get ya a Coke.
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 07:12 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 07:15 PM

Henderson=GOAT lead off hitter and base stealer of all time. On base percentage was ridiculous then factor in that he’s guaranteed second base and probably third after he gets on first.
Loved watching him play.

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 07:29 PM

Those are cool cards!

I have a lot of those same ones. Wade Boggs. Man he was da man. I used to want to eat fried chicken before every little league game because thats what he said he did.
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 08:32 PM

I’ve been a collector since the early 70s, have them dating back to bowman’s back in the 40s. I have no desire to sell, that was my childhood hobby and I like reliving it all the time

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 02/28/21 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by flee fly
I’ve been a collector since the early 70s, have them dating back to bowman’s back in the 40s. I have no desire to sell, that was my childhood hobby and I like reliving it all the time

Post some pics. Would love to see the Bowman's.
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/01/21 12:06 AM

Trickster check your pm

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/01/21 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by flee fly
Trickster check your pm

Did not get any PM. I think something is messed up with my account. I tried posting Images here and it does not work for me. I suspect PM's are an issue also. Will try to figure it out.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/01/21 01:28 AM

I got an old Bo Jackson rookie baseball card I need to look into. I have a 1985 mark mcgwire rookie, but it was graded at 80 because it's pretty decentered. I think the Bo Jackson would grade higher, but I'm not an expert.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/01/21 02:53 PM

I have boxes of 81 from my childhood, an uncut '81 set (Donruss I think - maybe Topps), and cases of '85 - '89 Topps and numerous unopened boxes and packs from the 80s, plus quite a few '54 Topps Christmas Rack Packs, and tons and tons that fill a closet, including '61 Fleer basketball (many graded including 10s), '86 Jordan PSA 8, unopened '86 pack with MJ sticker on back, and another nice MJ rookie sticker. Lots of memorabilia and various things as well. If you are interested in a big purchase let me know, but must be serious. It is time to start thinking about getting out as we downsize.
Posted By: ZeroHour

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/01/21 06:08 PM

I have a cherry picked pile from the 80s/90s when I was a kid...Comic books I inherited paid a large portion of my way through college...I got lucky and stumbled on a box of silver age comics at the flea market in 2019 as well to replace a pile of what I sold..5$ a book I couldnt resist. Had a bunch properly framed up for my game room and the rest stored away.

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/01/21 06:39 PM

I was going to send 20 cards to PSA to get graded but I heard they just doubled their price and wait time is 6+ months unless you want to pay extra. They are making a killing over the last year.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/01/21 06:41 PM

I was going to send 20 cards to PSA to get graded but I heard they just doubled their price and wait time is 6+ months unless you want to pay extra. They are making a killing over the last year.

Seriously? I was going to send a handfull as well, but geez....

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/01/21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07

Seriously? I was going to send a handfull as well, but geez....

I checked Beckett just now and they are even higher.
Posted By: justchillin

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/01/21 07:21 PM

I have a Kobe Bryant with Lebron James that is selling on Ebay for 250 ish to 800 or so. Hoping price goes up with Kobe induction into the hall of fame later this year. Have not had it graded, but ungraded is selling for that amount.
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/01/21 07:57 PM

Henderson=GOAT lead off hitter and base stealer of all time. On base percentage was ridiculous then factor in that he’s guaranteed second base and probably third after he gets on first.
Loved watching him play.

He was my favorite player and I have over 150 of his cards.
I need to catalog all these from the late 80’s to early 90’s, I have 1000’s.
[Linked Image]

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/01/21 09:49 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/08/21 07:25 PM

Not in good condition but I thought it was a cool find in my cards.
[Linked Image]

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/08/21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by SgtDag
[Linked Image]

That is neat. I think I had some of those. If I recall you had to save UPC from Coke boxes or bottles and mail them in and they sent you the cards...

Man, things were cooler back then.
Posted By: Jeremyworm

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/12/21 02:46 PM

Some of my old Kobe Bryant and Derek Jeter cards seem to be worth quite a bit. Would like to get some of them graded but seems like it will take 6-9 months to get them back. I’m not crazy about that idea
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/12/21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SgtDag
[Linked Image]

Still could bring you some pretty good money if the right collector came around! woot

Side Note: Good friend of mine had a Nolan Ryan second year card Donruss. Card was in fair condition. Collector was a HUGE Nolan Ryan Fan and needed that card to complete a set. He paid $1500.00 cash. The set that he put the card into up it's value by $2000.00. There is a card shop not to far from where I live. The owner of that shop will pay .50 for any Michael Jordon card. Card needs to be in good condition. He then sells them to people in two other countries that will pay up to $10.00 for any Jordan card. hmmm
Posted By: Tsunami_1

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/12/21 05:02 PM

You card folks are certainly a different breed. Hard for me to imagine the money some of this stuff goes for.

984-85 Star #101 Michael Jordan XRC BGS 6.5 UDA Auto Autograph
Popular Item 7 viewed per hour
Condition:Like New
Price:
US $745,000.00
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/12/21 05:48 PM

Loved watching him play.

he was a Ranger killer also
he was great
Posted By: wytex

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/13/21 03:38 PM

My 33 year old son has made a killing on his old Pokemon cards. Who would of thunk it.

Re: Ebay - Sport cards from the late 80's - 03/13/21 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by wytex
My 33 year old son has made a killing on his old Pokemon cards. Who would of thunk it.

Wish I would have known.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum