Texas Fishing Forum

Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts

Posted By: Patrnflyr

Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 01:20 PM

Here me out on this... Dick’s sporting goods is shutting down their hunting departments throughout the US. I think this isn’t a monetary decision as much as an emotional decision. You all can laugh but as crazy as our society is getting, I can see within my lifespan a push to stop all fishing activity calling it cruel. I’m picturing a guy up at the boat launch getting ready to launch his $100K Ranger Bass boat and a group of Antifa thugs run up to him and throw paint all over his boat, beat the tar out of him and nothing is done about it. I know this is extreme but I’m already shocked by what people are getting away with. Every one of us looks at those old timer pictures showing a hundred bass sitting on a fence with the proud fishermen smiling for the picture and feels sorry for the bass. There’s already been a lot of change in how we view fishing. What do you all think?

PS. I sure hope I’m wrong!
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 01:25 PM

Dicks stopped selling guns a while ago because of their anti- 2nd amendment management and frankly I think it's a stupid move. That being said, some people teach you what to do and some teach you what not to do. I imagine Cabelas/Bass Pro appreciate the extra business.
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 01:53 PM

well, they are just a bunch of Dicks
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 02:00 PM

Right now, you are anyone else that walked up to a fish cleaning table with a couple of bass and a filet knife, would be confronted by another fisherman, and maybe even yourself as to why he didn't release those fish when he is perfectly within the law.

I'm just giving an example as to the way people are being programmed to think these days, even those on our side of the sport.
Dicks CEO is an anti, so we have a choice to do business with them or not.
I prefer to spend my money elsewhere.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 02:23 PM

No loss to me. I prefer Bass Pro anyway. As long as hunting and fishing is a $14 billion business in Texas, someone will provide the stuff.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 02:29 PM

I prefer to get ripped off at BPS over Dicks anyway.

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 02:33 PM

I hate Dicks
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Patrnflyr
I’m picturing a guy up at the boat launch getting ready to launch his $100K Ranger Bass boat and a group of Antifa thugs run up to him and throw paint all over his boat, beat the tar out of him and nothing is done about it. I know this is extreme but I’m already shocked by what people are getting away with.

I don't think you're wrong at all. Such behavior happens in California (not quite as extreme as your hypothetical, but still harassment). Several states have laws against harassing anglers and hunters for this very reason.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 04:22 PM

I've never been in one and never will, due to their Anti 2nd amendment stance. I'm 99% sure that you're correct in your assessment.
Posted By: jnogreen

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 05:01 PM

The Dicks at the rim in san Antonio quit selling fishing supplies too
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL

BPS is a ripoff. Too much overhead. To me it is just another tourist attraction. I go there as a last resort or if they have a real good sale price on something I need, I tried to get them to price match some 2 cycle oil once and they made a science fair project out of it. Not sure why all a sudden we need these big fancy outdoor stores. Maybe it is because Gibson's closed?
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 05:48 PM

I don't shop Dicks, Bass Pro or Cabelas. To hell with all 3 companies.
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 05:52 PM

"some people teach you what to do and some teach you what not to do" I agree,and they used to be called PARENTS.

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
Originally Posted by JJ4MEL

BPS is a ripoff. Too much overhead. To me it is just another tourist attraction. I go there as a last resort or if they have a real good sale price on something I need, I tried to get them to price match some 2 cycle oil once and they made a science fair project out of it. Not sure why all a sudden we need these big fancy outdoor stores. Maybe it is because Gibson's closed?

Gibsons! I walked to the one in Pleasant Grove all the time in the late 70's. I remember buying 8 tracks there and Queens "News of the world" album.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 06:14 PM

There's still a Gibson's in Kerrville and it's a trip! The first time I went there, a saleslady asked me if I needed help. I told her it was my first time there and I was just getting familiar with the store. She told me, "Oh, you can't see it all in one day!" She was right. Wednesday is Senior Day, almost everything is 10% off. And they're not closing their guns and hunting departments! TexasJim
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 07:11 PM

Academy is still my "go to" store here in Huntsville. Never been to Dick's and Cabela's two or three times a year.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 09:31 PM

Somebody say Gibson's? Loved that store. I bought my very first new gun from them in about '83. I was 16 and can't remember the details. I was too busy drueling on the gun counter. I think I gave Dad the hay hauling money I had and he bought it and out the front door we went. Colt Python, blued, 6" BBL. Helluva' first new gun! Still have it, as well as Dad's older one that I inherited much later. Looking back, I think he kept the change, but I guess we're even.
Posted By: zenmic

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 10:36 PM

Not to hijack a thread, but there is still a Gibson's shocked ?

I have not seen a Gibson since my childhood in the Mississippi Delta.

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/10/20 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by zenmic

Island Jim said there is one in kerrville
Posted By: Piscivore

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/11/20 12:39 AM

"We still sell AR's, we're not Dicks"
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/11/20 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by jnogreen
The Dicks at the rim in san Antonio quit selling fishing supplies too

Dick's didn't have anything but [censored] in their fishing department anyway. They should just concentrate on tennis shoes and women's exercise clothing. That's all that's important these days, isn't it? If I had a dollar for every pair of women's black spandex tights on the streets, I'd be a rich, rich man.
Posted By: D1988

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/11/20 01:37 AM

I guess in that open area where the hunting equipment was at in there stores they can sell mirrors. This way some of those folks can see what those spandex tights actually look like before they get out on the streets with them on.
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/11/20 01:35 PM

Isn't there a Gibson's in Weatherford TX? Thought I saw one on Main St. the other day when I was there. Wish I had stopped and gone in. It's about time for another pair of Tough Skin Jeans. LOL

PS.. Also not a fan of dicks.

Jody
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/12/20 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
I’m picturing a guy up at the boat launch getting ready to launch his $100K Ranger Bass boat and a group of Antifa thugs run up to him and throw paint all over his boat, beat the tar out of him and nothing is done about it. I know this is extreme but I’m already shocked by what people are getting away with.

I don't think you're wrong at all. Such behavior happens in California (not quite as extreme as your hypothetical, but still harassment). Several states have laws against harassing anglers and hunters for this very reason.

Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/12/20 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek

Zeek don't quote me but I think about half of the syates have laws against harassment. I have taught hunter ed for years & instructors always cover that topic. It is illegal in TX. and have witnessed it first hand. VERY SAD

Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/12/20 01:24 AM

Guess we'll just have to go to one of their competitors to spend our hard earned cash. Hope no one gets killed by someone swinging one of their golf clubs.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/12/20 12:18 PM

I stopped shopping at Dick's many moons ago. I wish them well with their tennis shoe and tank top sales. Cabelas and BPS only when I actually want to look at a product, and 99% online where there are no rude sales people, no wanna be experts, often free shipping and in some cases, no sales tax. What's not to like about shopping online?
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/12/20 02:34 PM

Everyone has a right to their opinions... that is what USA is all about. Freedom to have an opinion. Many have fought and died to give unappreciative others the right to say stupid things, wear stupid clothes and support stupid ideas.

My opinion is that I will support those that I feel are right. Those that support what my family enjoys. I have not been in a Dicks in over two years, never plan to go again. Over the years I had bought several guns and a lot of hunting clothes there, along with fishing gear, etc. because they had a store close by, and at that time I did not have Academy's close or Bass Pro or Cabela's. Dicks CEO made it very clear that she is anti-gun, put a lot of money into the anti-gun groups... goggle it if you want to. If you spend money at a Dicks, you are supporting anti-gun groups end of day.

I am also having to rethink my Wal Mart relationship... they are sliding off the cliff. All handgun and "military" ammo is already gone, and word it they are taking guns out of the stores. Many stores have cut the hunting gear and clothes to a minimum, or none at all.

I agree with some of you that Bass Pro/Cabela's is over priced, but you can not argue that Johnny Morris supports the outdoors and our hunting and fishing life. Yes, he got rich from it, but he started with a little bit of nothing, and supported us for years to get to where he is at. I don't spend a ton of money there, because I feel they are overpriced unless you catch a sale on what you want. But, they are still the biggest game in the states overall. I will still support them, and appreciate that they support our way of life.

I spend more money at Academy now, than anywhere else. Good selections and best prices day to day. I thank them every time I get a chance, especially managers if I see one with a name tag on, for supporting the outdoors. While I have no idea what their personal feelings are, at least they heard from another paying customer that we want guns and hunting - fishing gear. They also continue to support gun sports and fishing sports, with sponsorship money for events and competitors.

God Bless America.

Ken Graham
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/12/20 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bentman63
Originally Posted by zenmic

Island Jim said there is one in kerrville

haven't been that way for a while but there used to be one on 287 in vernon or childress. used to stop and shop there any time I could get the semi into the parking lot.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/12/20 03:03 PM

someone should bring back a modern gibsons or western auto or otasco, loved all 3 of those stores.
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/12/20 04:15 PM

I hear some got rid of fishing too. The one near me has a great fishing department, hopefully it stays because it's all salt at the local mom and pops. The hunting dept should be like 1/2 the size it is based on our location. People do go after hogs out west, but not much hunting is going on near me other than that.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/12/20 11:39 PM

Woke Snowflakes
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/13/20 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by IslandJim
There's still a Gibson's in Kerrville and it's a trip! The first time I went there, a saleslady asked me if I needed help. I told her it was my first time there and I was just getting familiar with the store. She told me, "Oh, you can't see it all in one day!" She was right. Wednesday is Senior Day, almost everything is 10% off. And they're not closing their guns and hunting departments! TexasJim

About 15 years ago, their tackle dept would rival anyone’s. They’ve really scaled it way back, I guess it’s just not worth the time for the little bit of profit.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/13/20 03:27 AM

Tree huggers beating the tar out of someone ... that’s a good one
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/13/20 03:31 AM

I’ve been in that store 2 times since it came to longview. Academy has everything I need.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/13/20 03:46 AM

I have never shopped at Dicks and do not plan on ever starting! thumb
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Dick sporting goods shuttering hunting depts - 03/13/20 06:34 AM

The are about to open Scheels in my area, It looks huge and I am sure will hurt hunting and fishing sales at BPS/Cabelas and Dicks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum