Texas Fishing Forum

COntractor not doing the work

Posted By: TexasMo

COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 06:06 PM

Have another contractor not doing the job... I will be asking for refund tomorrow.... and cancel the job since it's basically has not started

Do you folks that have experienced this publicly shame those? Esp. if they do not give you your money back? Do you higher small claims court lawyers?

I am sick and tired of people not living up to their contracts.... its getting out of hand.. seems people just don't give a $H!t any more......

rant over

Mo
Posted By: reelfast

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 06:17 PM

East Texas ?
Posted By: John175☮

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 06:30 PM

I pay nothing upfront. If they insist I go elsewhere.

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 06:30 PM

if cedar creek is East Texas... then yes
Posted By: MBradford

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 06:52 PM

Maybe he's hitting all of the 7-11's in town getting free Slurpees.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 07:01 PM

Bro, after almost a year of living in ETEx, contractors are TURRIBLE....... ALL of them suck.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 07:03 PM

Yep contractors around Cedar Creek are terrible. most of them anyway.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 07:28 PM

I guess I just got lucky with my East Texas contractor. I'll have to ask him if he's from South, Central, West, or North Texas originally. We know that's the only places the people of character live and no one is there is a DB . noidea
Posted By: TR176

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 07:37 PM

I use some guys out by CC for small jobs. I agree to a price. I buy the materials. I pay them in cash when they are done. Oddly enough they always show up on Fridays complaining about not having any money for the weekend. Most contractors out here don’t answer the phone, don’t show for appointments, and don’t seem to give a holla.
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 07:38 PM

ive Had issues with plumbers, electricians and the guy remodeling, seems there isn’t any competition in The rural areas and theses guys can do whatever they want, pick and choose what jobs and when they finally decide to actually do the job.. I’ll front material money up, but that’s it,
Posted By: crankn101

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 07:42 PM

Nothing but a bunch of contractor haters on here! You dont know what its like until you walked in their shoes...
Posted By: Ranger 177

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by John175®
I pay nothing upfront. If they insist I go elsewhere.

No money till job is done never had a problem using this theory. When job complete and satisfied then pay off contractor

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 07:57 PM

yea.. I gave material money up front... and now can't gt any work done....

Do you publicly shame them on FB and do a buyer beware kind of thing? keep others from going through this type of experience?
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by TexasMo
yea.. I gave material money up front... and now can't gt any work done....

Do you publicly shame them on FB and do a buyer beware kind of thing? keep others from going through this type of experience?

Titus 3:2
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 08:09 PM

Man it’s just that bad , in 2015 we built our building for our store , I wouldn’t let someone build me a dog house after that. If I can’t manage a project I don’t need it that bad.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 08:10 PM

Oh and NEVER agree to the term “not at risk”
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 08:19 PM

no legitimate contractor
needs $
up front

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 08:34 PM

that was my thoughts too... but how do you know if they are legitimate or not?
You go off of hear say? I read reviews..... ????

But the experience is totally different when it comes to do the job for you...

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by TexasMo
that was my thoughts too... but how do you know if they are legitimate or not?
You go off of hear say? I read reviews..... ????

But the experience is totally different when it comes to do the job for you...

well
if they ask for $
thats an immediate flag

i don't know how you would vet them
go look at their work i guess
sorry that happened
Posted By: plumbcrazy

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 10:19 PM

never pay for anything upfront from a contractor

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 10:20 PM

I hope you still have all the material you paid for though
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 10:27 PM

I’d settle for payment upon completion instead of waiting 2-3-4 weeks for payment. Got to wait 10 days for insurance to release the check. Then mortgage company has to endorse and make you jump through their hoops. Then the customers bank puts a hold on the draft.
Sucks for some contractors too...
Posted By: TCK73

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 11:33 PM

Man, I’m not real big on that public shaming, but I wouldn’t give a good reference if asked. I don’t know what kind of deal you made, but I would get my money back and move on.

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/11/19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Adamcik
I’d settle for payment upon completion instead of waiting 2-3-4 weeks for payment. Got to wait 10 days for insurance to release the check. Then mortgage company has to endorse and make you jump through their hoops. Then the customers bank puts a hold on the draft.
Sucks for some contractors too...

yep
sometimes longer
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 12:03 AM

Been here almost a year and haven’t found a contractor yet to work with
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 12:31 AM

I would think it would depend on the complexity and amount of the job. Most contractors including us have payment schedules that we use dependent upon the amount and complexity and length of job. You don’t stay in business long by taking people’s money and not doing the work. A little due diligence goes a long way in finding reputable contractors. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for 20% upfront and then the rest due upon completion or some other arrangement dependent again upon complexity and length of project. If you have 120 to 160 jobs going on at any given time it could be hard to manage cash flow if you carry every job. Anyone who asks for all of it upfront then yes that would raise a red flag and I’ve personally been burned on that type of deal from someone on TFF no less. I’m very sensitive to those concerns from my own experiences but if it’s someone reputable then you won’t have any problems.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 12:52 AM

I highly recommend having a Liquidated Damage clause in the contract per phase and final completion date. Basically it cost the contractor every day over estimated time lines agreed upon at execution of said contract. Bad weather and material shortages would be discretionary for the contractor to ask for reasonable time back due to those circumstances. That will separate the doers and the fake it till you make it riff raff pretty quick.

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 01:26 AM

No money up front if they don't have the money for the material you probably don't need to work with them

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by billdancejr.
I highly recommend having a Liquidated Damage clause in the contract per phase and final completion date. Basically it cost the contractor every day over estimated time lines agreed upon at execution of said contract. Bad weather and material shortages would be discretionary for the contractor to ask for reasonable time back due to those circumstances. That will separate the doers and the fake it till you make it riff raff pretty quick.

nothing like motivating people to do a half-assed job...
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 01:50 AM

When we built our house we bought the materials, paid the crews 50% when halfway done, remainder on approved completion. Worked great for all of us and we didn’t have any complaints. We used reputable crews that we have used before on pop’s commercial properties.

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by plumbcrazy
No money up front if they don't have the money for the material you probably don't need to work with them

100% no exceptions
Posted By: glenls

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders

100% no exceptions

Need some fence repair on the 10 acres we bought. 2 different Idiots came out, wanted moola upfront for materials, barbwire, T posts. No I said, I'll buy goodies and get the good stuff. Okay both said. but wanted half labor upfront on bid. WTF! Ran um both off on the spot.
Posted By: reelfast

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 09:04 PM

I had one show up one time so F’d up he didn’t know what he was bidding on !! I’m talking crack f’d up !! Ran him off

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 09:51 PM

If they dont have money in their account I probably dont need to be working for them...
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 09:54 PM

100% no exceptions

It’s kind of a two way street there. Technically if no money has been exchanged then the contract isn’t a contract. The person who signed it is free to walk away. It can work against the contractor as well. Not much recourse at that point either. It’s all about perspective and the bottom line business. The days of a handshake deal are sadly over. It’s really not cut and dry as some portray
Posted By: gander

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 10:07 PM

no legitimate contractor
needs $
up front
I don't do business with those that need money up front ..
Posted By: gander

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by crankn101

If they dont have money in their account I probably dont need to be working for them...
This
Posted By: Marc K

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 11:12 PM

I've only been here for a bit under two years, but I bought a "fixer upper" so I have dealt with A/C, plumbing, electrical, roofing, landscape, excavation contractors and a General Contractor. So far, I have been 100% satisfied with all of them. (I walked away from several)

It really isn't tough: perform some basic due diligence and apply a dose of common sense. Importantly, always follow your gut feelings.

Marc

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/12/19 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Marc on Cedar Creek
I've only been here for a bit under two years, but I bought a "fixer upper" so I have dealt with A/C, plumbing, electrical, roofing, landscape, excavation contractors and a General Contractor. So far, I have been 100% satisfied with all of them. (I walked away from several)

It really isn't tough: perform some basic due diligence and apply a dose of common sense. Importantly, always follow your gut feelings.

Marc

Yup, its not that hard. The people that complain the most are usually the problem...
Posted By: Marc K

Re: COntractor not doing the work - 07/13/19 02:08 AM

Oh, I don't think that folks who have contractor problems are to blame. Some people are just too trusting sometimes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum