Texas Fishing Forum

Property Tax Apprasial Time

Posted By: T Bird

Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 06:01 PM

Bell County rat B's raised my property taxes (again) $321.63 more a year. If home was paid off it would still cost me $267.59 a month to rent it from Bell County Tax Appraisal District.

Texas legislature has done nothing but give lip service to fixing the statewide property tax issue for years.

Time for the Revolution to begin!
soap
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 06:15 PM

Really?? You bitch about less than a dollar a day?
Posted By: ksjmf

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 06:20 PM

There is not a statewide property tax. That would be unconstitutional.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 06:21 PM

realmad
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 06:22 PM

It’s either property tax, state income tax or some other form of tax. Take your pick, but either way you’ll be paying.

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by PondFish
Really?? You bitch about less than a dollar a day.?

Think you missed the point; however, if your feeling the philanthropically spirit today a donation to the Bell County Tax Appraisal District for $321.63 in my name would be greatly appreciated.

PM me for details. wink
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 06:39 PM

Really?? You bitch about less than a dollar a day?

oops
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 06:49 PM

Assessments don't come out until October-ish. How do you know that already? hmmm
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 06:55 PM

I am 65. I hope my property assessment doubles this year.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 07:05 PM

I love this time of year.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird
Bell County rat B's raised my property taxes (again) $321.63 more a year. If home was paid off it would still cost me $267.59 a month to rent it from Bell County Tax Appraisal District.

Texas legislature has done nothing but give lip service to fixing the statewide property tax issue for years.

soap

Ahhh, The Revolution. We're tax free. Everyone is free to rule themselves. Welcome back to Anarchy.
When I come into the house at 1:00 AM and put a 12 ga in your face and tell you to get out of MY house what are you going to do?
There are no Police or Sheriffs to complain to because they are paid by taxes.
You can't prove it's your house because there are no recorded Deeds in a central depository open to the public or (and I hope you see the irony) a Tax Assessors office that has records.
I'm guessing you were probably home schooled, as your kids were as well.
You can't sue me because there are no Courts, or a Legislature to create laws.
No paved roads to be maintained.
No reliable water supply because reservoirs either never got built (remember the drought years of the '50s) or weren't maintained (so that means no fishing).

It never ceases to amaze me how myopic people can be about their taxes. All they do is look forward and wonder how it benefits them. Take a look behind you and remember all the benefits you have received.
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 07:15 PM

I signed up with O'Connor & Associates last year to begin protesting.
So far they dropped my taxes by....*drumroll*.....$36.00.....
The cost for that was about $15...

Disappointed, I called them and told them I'd expected a lot more.
They told me that's pretty average for a first time property tax protester.

The advice they gave me for the 2019 year is take photos of all things wrong in my home.
Apparently, having 2 Cable/Phone junction boxes in my backyard is going have a big impact when my protest case gets called up.
Posted By: DI

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 07:34 PM

Mine went up $32,000. I called a tax protest firm and they said it was flat in 18' because of Harvey, now the County is making up for it. Crooked bastards everyone of them.
Posted By: Canino

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer
Assessments don't come out until October-ish. How do you know that already? hmmm

Not sure about your county, but most value notices are mailed around April with protest deadline 30 days or more afterward. Tarrant County notices were mailed April 1 with May 15 protest deadline.

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 07:54 PM

Already submitted online what I think the value of my house should be.
Posted By: Derek ðŸ

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 08:02 PM

Wonder if there is an easy cheap way to transfer my house to my mom where she would be the owner but I'll still make the payments. She's an old and I think olds get a some type of property tax deduction.

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝
Wonder if there is an easy cheap way to transfer my house to my mom where she would be the owner but I'll still make the payments. She's an old and I think olds get a some type of property tax deduction.

Not a bad idea.

Over 65 Exemption: In addition to the $25,000 exemption that all homestead owners receive, those age 65 or older qualify for a $10,000 homestead exemption for school taxes. You may apply to your local appraisal district for up to one year after the date you become age 65 or up to one year after the taxes are due.May

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/04/19 08:17 PM

Just opened the mail.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 03:14 AM

Harris County has been raising my appraised value 10% a year for as far back as I can access. This year they lowered the value 2.3%.

2013 ------------2014------------2015--------------2016------------- 2017------------ 2018
Total Tax Bill by Year $1,577.60 $1,677.59 $1,136.66 $1,326.88 $1,558.61 $1,815.95
Total Year % Diff 6.34% -32.24% 16.73% 17.46% 16.51%
MY age 65 66 67 68 69 70

Politicians love to brag about not raising your taxes. They just increase the value, which in turn increases your tax.
At this rate, my property taxes will double in 5 years or less.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 10:29 AM

soap

Ahhh, The Revolution. We're tax free. Everyone is free to rule themselves. Welcome back to Anarchy.
When I come into the house at 1:00 AM and put a 12 ga in your face and tell you to get out of MY house what are you going to do?
You can't prove it's your house because there are no recorded Deeds in a central depository open to the public or (and I hope you see the irony) a Tax Assessors office that has records.
No reliable water supply because reservoirs either never got built (remember the drought years of the '50s) or weren't maintained (so that means no fishing).

It never ceases to amaze me how myopic people can be about their taxes. All they do is look forward and wonder how it benefits them. Take a look behind you and remember all the benefits you have received.

City and county taxes are just a drop in the bucket compared to school tax

I think I pay close to 3K per year for city/county tax, what I don't like is paying 7K per year for school tax
Posted By: glenls

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 11:23 AM

soap

Must work in gobberment, be a school teacher, or some other field that works for others people's tax money. Or knows someone who does.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by glenls

soap

Must work in gobberment, be a school teacher, or some other field that works for others people's tax money. Or knows someone who does.

A taker and not a giver
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 11:38 AM

Property assessment should be a written offer from the state.. If they think my property is worth that much and keeps going up every year then maybe they should start investing in property and take it off my hands..

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pinkus
Property assessment should be a written offer from the state.. If they think my property is worth that much and keeps going up every year then maybe they should start investing in property and take it off my hands..

Don't pay your taxes and they gladly will.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 11:55 AM

soap

Welcome to Texas!

Where you may pay it off, but you will never own it free & clear!
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger

soap

City and county taxes are just a drop in the bucket compared to school tax

I think I pay close to 3K per year for city/county tax, what I don't like is paying 7K per year for school tax

School tax is the killer, but it doesn't seem anything can be done to slow down the rate of new schools being built. Teachers may not get a raise, but the new schools continue to be built.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 01:55 PM

Just opened the mail.

That's only the valuation, not the actual taxes owing. Those are not set yet. Theoretically, the taxing authority could set the tax level at $0 (which we know won't happen) or at least drop the rate and your taxes will not increase. Not likely, but you won;t know your actual taxes until the assessment is delivered in the fall.
Posted By: donothin

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 03:33 PM

Actually I am ok with paying my taxes as I think we generally get a pretty good deal. What I hate is the counties and/or cities giving tax incentives to those locating in county or city, in competition with those of us already doing business and paying the full load and helping pay for the tax incentive they receive. All of this is done in the name of economic growth, which increases population consequently the need for streets/roads, schools, government services of all kinds. I don't like paying my competitors taxes.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 03:50 PM

You can sign up with OConner & Associates . They only charge you one half of what they save you the first year.

Patrick O'Connor & Associates, L.P. | Better Business Bureau Profile
Adwww.bbb.org/(713) 322-2884
Check this Company's BBB Business Review. Consumer Reviews. Start with Trust. Scam Tracker. Services: File a Complaint, Dispute Resolutions, Scam Tracker, Business Profiles, Consumer Reviews.
Contact Us
Request a Quote
Apply for Accreditation
Accredited Businesses
Posted By: RipDaLips

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 04:10 PM

Chandler Crouch and team offers a free protest service. He and his team knocked off $32,000 of our appraised value last year, and we are using him again this year.

The service is free! Better hurry as I believe this years deadline is April 8th.

https://www.chandlercrouch.com/protest
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1
I am 65. I hope my property assessment doubles this year.

Me too. I went to the CAD and filled out all of the forms March 1st. I think it should "freeze" a certain percentage of the appraisal value. But some have said your out of pocket will still go up every year. It could be as watered down as the Homestead exemption, where it only caps a percentage of the appraised value.

There was a bill introduced in Austin to take back the control of the City property tax from the local municipalities (cities) where the state could administer fair allocation. Well, Liquor City wants us to vote Against that because that would mean Liquor City rates would go down and they would have to live within a budget. It is all corrupt and damn the tax man anyway. Retired and still have a $425 per month tax bill on a house that we own. Go figure.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 05:31 PM

After seeing all the mayors on TV the other night complaining about the proposed 2.5% cap I am writing my senator again. Those people make me want to puke. I have been living on 2.5% raises since the great recession. If school districts would stop building fancy football stadiums they would have plenty of money. The Ft Worth mayor was saying they could not keep up with infrastructure for new growth without the high appraisal's. For one how did they do it when home values were not climbing and 2 you fund new infrastructure with taxes on new development. All politicians want to do is tax and spend.
Posted By: Ranger Z21

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
You can sign up with OConner & Associates . They only charge you one half of what they save you the first year.

Check this Company's BBB Business Review. Consumer Reviews. Start with Trust. Scam Tracker. Services: File a Complaint, Dispute Resolutions, Scam Tracker, Business Profiles, Consumer Reviews.
Contact Us
Request a Quote
Apply for Accreditation
Accredited Businesses

Paying someone to protest your property taxes is stupid. You can easily do it online in about fifteen minutes for free. Move to Georgia or Alabama where they are a third what they are in Texas even with a state tax.

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger Z21

Contact Us
Request a Quote
Apply for Accreditation
Accredited Businesses

Paying someone to protest your property taxes is stupid. You can easily do it online in about fifteen minutes for free. Move to Georgia or Alabama where they are a third what they are in Texas even with a state tax.

Maybe, but with our outrageous school taxes here in Texas, bet they don't turn out the "Einsteins" like we do. pollo
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 11:34 PM

Contact Us
Request a Quote
Apply for Accreditation
Accredited Businesses

Let me be clear Mr. Genius. I protested my own for several years. I finally hit a blank wall. I called O'Conner. They saved me an extra $500. I paid them $250. The appraised value stayed low until they were frozen because of my age. So just.... [Linked Image]

Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 11:50 PM

*Genius
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/05/19 11:58 PM

Contact Us
Request a Quote
Apply for Accreditation
Accredited Businesses

Let me be clear Mr. Genus. I protested my own for several years. I finally hit a blank wall. I called O'Conner. They saved me an extra $500. I paid them $250. The appraised value stayed low until they were frozen because of my age. So just.... [Linked Image]

roflmao cheers thumb
Posted By: greenen

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/06/19 02:44 AM

Bell County here too. 30 K increase in the mail yesterday.

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/06/19 11:53 AM

Contact Us
Request a Quote
Apply for Accreditation
Accredited Businesses

Let me be clear Mr. Genius. I protested my own for several years. I finally hit a blank wall. I called O'Conner. They saved me an extra $500. I paid them $250. The appraised value stayed low until they were frozen because of my age. So just.... [Linked Image]

Yeah at least I am smart enough not to post my personal information on the internet Mr. Genius. Go back to the hunting forum.
Posted By: The Dad

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/06/19 12:50 PM

I own a modest 1400 sf home in north Fort Worth. No city sidewalks and the newest school close to me was built in the 90s. My home was built in 85. Got my assessment and it states my taxable value has increased 75% since 2014. More than anything, the taxable value has increased my final tax bill.
Posted By: tech

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/06/19 01:30 PM

the problem with property tax is school tax. the burden of paying for schools is on the shoulder of property holders. Why not increase sales tax and allow everyone to share the burden, thus eliminating the school property tax? Most property owners dont need (english as a second language) anyway...
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/06/19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by tech
the problem with property tax is school tax. the burden of paying for schools is on the shoulder of property holders. Why not increase sales tax and allow everyone to share the burden, thus eliminating the school property tax? Most property owners dont need (english as a second language) anyway...

Agree 100%. I hate paying for other peoples kids schooling especially when they're here illegally and there are bunches of them. In what way do kids parents living in apartments pay school taxes and when is it equal when they have 5 kids and others only have one. I've complained vigorously to no avail but changes need to be made.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/06/19 02:54 PM

The Appraisals for the year come out now. Your tax statement comes out in October. bang

Like has already been said: If it's not property tax it's a sales tax or some other tax! hammer

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/06/19 09:38 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/11/19 05:17 PM

Contact Us
Request a Quote
Apply for Accreditation
Accredited Businesses

My sister lives in Alabama, earns about the same as me, and owns a house very close in value. Her property taxes plus her state and local income taxes are equal to my property taxes in Texas. Personally I prefer the property taxes.

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/11/19 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by pchapin

Contact Us
Request a Quote
Apply for Accreditation
Accredited Businesses

My sister lives in Alabama, earns about the same as me, and owns a house very close in value. Her property taxes plus her state and local income taxes are equal to my property taxes in Texas. Personally I prefer the property taxes.

I seriously doubt what your saying. Here in Georgia when all combined it's a third what it was in Texas. We have friends in Alabama and their taxes are very similar to here in Georgia.

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/11/19 08:02 PM

I was in the "No State Income Tax" crowd until I moved to Alabama. I like it that my tax only goes up, if my income goes up. Can't say the same for Texas property taxes.

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/15/19 02:24 PM

Contact Us
Request a Quote
Apply for Accreditation
Accredited Businesses

I seriously doubt what your saying. Here in Georgia when all combined it's a third what it was in Texas. We have friends in Alabama and their taxes are very similar to here in Georgia.

Here is a 2018 Alabama income tax estimate for Single, $92,000. Also a property tax bill for a $90,000 house. Alabama income tax $3,783, Property tax for $200K house aprox $1,800 based on 2X90K's tax. In Houston a $200,000 house is taxed at $5,000. Doubt No More.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/15/19 03:45 PM

Here is a 2018 Alabama income tax estimate for Single, $92,000. Also a property tax bill for a $90,000 house. Alabama income tax $3,783, Property tax for $200K house aprox $1,800 based on 2X90K's tax. In Houston a $200,000 house is taxed at $5,000. Doubt No More.

My house in Alabama is appraised at 205K. My property tax is $650 a year. Has not changed up or down in the three years I have lived in it.

Re: Property Tax Apprasial Time - 04/16/19 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut

My house in Alabama is appraised at 205K. My property tax is $650 a year. Has not changed up or down in the three years I have lived in it.

And your Alabama income tax if you were single and making $92,000 a year would be $3,700. In Texas if I make $92,000 a year and live in a $205,000 house, I pay between $4,000 to $5,000 depending on which school district and city.
Texas good for no income tax, bad for property tax. Alabama bad for income tax, good for property tax.. Just a matter of which you prefer to pay.
I
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum