Texas Fishing Forum

Arrowhead hunting

Posted By: spacejunkie

Arrowhead hunting - 10/18/18 08:51 PM

what is the trick to finding them? Have walked many a shorelines and not a one have I found.
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/18/18 09:01 PM

location...shorelines are rarely a good place...they weren't shorelines in those days. They made their arrow heads close to the source. Find chert and flint hills. There you will find them...well usually more "almost" arrowheads. The ones that made good arrowheads were used and lost in random places.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/18/18 09:08 PM

I have had my best luck after a rain in a plowed field.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/18/18 09:08 PM

Most places have been picked over so much that the best time to look is only during extreme drought and low water. And there's a knack, that I don't have. I can search for hours and never come across one, let my wife out of the boat to tinkle behind a tree and she will come back with 3. There is a lot of money laying out there, some are extremely valuable. I have a buddy in his 60's that recently retired and is shopping his collection around. He's already turned down over $100,000 twice. The ones I have are worth about a nickel.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/18/18 09:22 PM

A buddy of mine hunts for them all the time, he says the trick is to stick to creeks and specifically creek junctions. THen just get your hands dirty.

This guy has tons of arrowheads, and honestly a lot of them are things I would just pass by and not think twice about but he picks them up and you can definitely tell it was an arrowhead. In other words, not all of his look like the perfect arrowhead we all have as the picture in our head.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/18/18 09:29 PM

Should anyone get the chance a root plowed mesquite field near what is or used to be a creek..
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/18/18 10:30 PM

Go to Brazos river below PK. Walk on the gravel bars and search. Might be really good after they release all this water because all the vegetation will be removed. My buddy finds arrowheads and tools down there.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/18/18 10:31 PM

I used to find a lot of arrowheads at my Uncles ranch in Boerne. As I got older, I learned it was an old camping site for some tribe.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/18/18 10:35 PM

Arrow Head Stadium might have some
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/18/18 10:41 PM

My grandparents walked the Sulphur river after big rains back in the '60s. They had two cigar boxes full of all kinds. Had a peace pipe bowl and a stem that had broken in two pieces made of stone. And a lot of beads. They sold them at some point.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/18/18 10:52 PM

Arrowhead hunters - or those who have an eye for finding these things are probably badazzes at the Spot the Critter game. My dad could be walking down a trail and spot an arrowhead from 20ft away. The only one I've found was from blindly reaching under water looking for a rock to skip down the Guadalupe. I pulled it up and recognized it immediately but probably would have never seen it if I was walking along.
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/18/18 11:52 PM

I know a guy that can fall in a mud hole and find them, His mom has a collection in the Smithsonian, I cant find one to save my life. bang
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: cocodrie
Arrowhead hunters - or those who have an eye for finding these things are probably badazzes at the Spot the Critter game. My dad could be walking down a trail and spot an arrowhead from 20ft away. The only one I've found was from blindly reaching under water looking for a rock to skip down the Guadalupe. I pulled it up and recognized it immediately but probably would have never seen it if I was walking along.

My 13 yr old daughter has the eye. She has found a bunch
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Dognot
I know a guy that can fall in a mud hole and find them, His mom has a collection in the Smithsonian, I cant find one to save my life. bang

this
Posted By: Pilothawk

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 12:53 AM

I’d love to find them around here.

I am only 15 miles from Dover, TN. Dover chert was highly prized by ancient Indians. It has been found as far away as Ohio in arrowheads and tools. The quarries are protected now. Friend of mine has a good collection. He walks behind tractors plowing fields.
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 12:58 AM

EBay list authentic old Rrowheads for a price.

Amazon lists many sets of replicas for a lot less.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 01:27 AM

I cut a trench for a water line and found a spear head? 2 1/2+" the next day on top of the dirt row.

It had rained over night.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 01:58 AM

The key for me is picking up the flint and looking at it. A lot of times it's just a sliver covered with mud. Pick it up examine it and discover it's actually a point. Look for flint. It's rare to find a random point out by itself. Look on hillsides. Remember our Indians were plains Indians and slept mostly out on the ground. The hillsides blocked the wind.
Posted By: John Peebles

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 02:18 AM

The only one I ever found was in a washed out gully after a heavy rain in Henderson county. It was a spearhead about as long as my hand and about half as wide as my hand at the bottom, preserved perfectly. Had a guy look at it and he said it was most likely Cherokee or Catwaba and offered me $100 on the spot, that was about 30 years ago. I kept it and left it with my parents when I went to college and kinda forgot about it. I recently found out my sister borrowed it from them to put in her shop as a show piece and someone "stole" it.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 02:38 AM

Best times are in the morning or later in the afternoon. The low sun angle makes flint shine. Shinning rocks are worth walking to for inspection.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 03:19 AM

I have some my Mother found around the Sheffield/Iraan area that are black obsidian
that are so small you can lay them on a penny and they won't reach over any side.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 03:35 AM

Any pics!?
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 04:50 AM

I have dug for them after finding a spot with a good concentration of them. I use saw horses with a screen i built then screed the dirt off with your hands
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 09:31 AM

Originally Posted By: nethingthatbites
location...shorelines are rarely a good place...they weren't shorelines in those days. They made their arrow heads close to the source. Find chert and flint hills. There you will find them...well usually more "almost" arrowheads. The ones that made good arrowheads were used and lost in random places.

^^^^
+1
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: deerfeeder
Best times are in the morning or later in the afternoon. The low sun angle makes flint shine. Shinning rocks are worth walking to for inspection.

clap
That's how my brother in law does it around pecos. Went two afternoons with him a couple of years ago and four of us found two, looked at everything that shined like broken glass
Posted By: 9094

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 01:41 PM

To reallynfind quantity you have to find camps.
Usually on the high side of a creek and realitivly flat. Look for old fire pits. They will be red rocks and many will be white on one side from being used for cooking surface. Also look for piles of old mussel or snail shells. The old ones will be white. When you find those areas you will find tools and arrowheads.
Get you an old golf club and cut the head off it and bend the edge to make a hook. Use this to flip things so you don’t have to be bending over all the time. Hunt them with sun behind your back, flint shines a little and easier to see this way. Go very slow.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 02:10 PM

Back in the day my Dad would camp on the islands at Texoma and find lots of them. He left us some pretty nice ones. Don't think you can do that anymore.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 03:20 PM

On of these days, the TVA is going to bust me. But after a good flood on the TN River, I'll bank my boat and walk certain shorelines looking for them.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd™
Go to Brazos river below PK. Walk on the gravel bars and search. Might be really good after they release all this water because all the vegetation will be removed. My buddy finds arrowheads and tools down there.

We looked somewhat hard a few weeks ago when we went and didn't find any but did find a cool sedimentary rock with some kind of rice grain looking fossils in it. It was the end of summer so I imagine it'd been picked over pretty good.
Posted By: Arkansas10 bass

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 04:36 PM

Old Indian camp sites after a rain or plowed fields near old Indian camps are premium spots.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 06:16 PM

Sounds like fun. Never done it. Used to hunt rock agat's.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Arrowhead hunting - 10/19/18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: 9094
To reallynfind quantity you have to find camps.
Usually on the high side of a creek and realitivly flat. Look for old fire pits. They will be red rocks and many will be white on one side from being used for cooking surface. Also look for piles of old mussel or snail shells. The old ones will be white. When you find those areas you will find tools and arrowheads.
Get you an old golf club and cut the head off it and bend the edge to make a hook. Use this to flip things so you don’t have to be bending over all the time. Hunt them with sun behind your back, flint shines a little and easier to see this way. Go very slow.

we have a spot exactly as you describe in Graford
tons of mussel shells & flint chips
they have been picking up stuff there for 3 generations
i never find anything whole
still look though
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum