Texas Fishing Forum

the curse of the burger battles

Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 03:21 PM

I saw where Chop House in arlington closed. They joined Pop's burgers as two recent winners that got to big for their britches and had to close down. Do what got you there dudes!
Posted By: WAWI

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 03:22 PM

It happens

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 03:28 PM

Guess I'll have to hit up Burger Box or Neighborhood Grill. Both are pretty darn good.
Posted By: soggybottom

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 03:38 PM

a lot of iconic restaurants in Austin are closing because of rents or the land was sold outright.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:04 PM

The industry is changing, real estate, cost of construction, rents, etc are as high as they have ever been, labor is as high as it's ever been and still hard to find. There will be some fall as people search for models that work.the ROI that a person used to want, need for financing if they borrow is Alot harder to come by as public companies, PE firms, REITs have bid it down by saturating markets and bidding up real estate.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:05 PM

I've heard the average lifespan of a new restaurant is very short.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

It damn sure can be, I'm still trying to figure out where all my money went down in west 7th lol bang

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI

It damn sure can be, I'm still trying to figure out where all my money went down in west 7th lol bang

I don't think Fred's will last much longer down there. Nothing but prius drivers now. Bill Martin would roll over in his grave.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:12 PM

Lots of struggle down there. It's really not a fun time to be an owner. Alot of the little deals you see, small franchises etc the person has at best spent their life savings buying themself a job that they could have made more doing something else. And they are basically stuck cause they signed personal guarantees etc on leases and still cling to the dream I guess. If I was starting over as a kid right now I'd be a plumber I think. Lol
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:29 PM

Becks Prime, an upscale fast food hamburger chain, closed near me

It never really did a good business and it was in a good location

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:37 PM

Burger are a high food cost item, traditionally you needed a lot of volume to make it work, especially the fast food type price point. The problem now is high volume requires lots a people and people have gotten way expensive. Business models built on cheap labor are a big issue. If I showed you my payroll many of you would be shocked what these people are making and I would hire 5 people tomorrow and 5 more the next day. That's why your burger fries and coke at a drive thru are 11 bucks now.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:39 PM

Went with burger box. Legit.

Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Scagnetti

It never really did a god business and it was in a good location

Ate Becks on Forest and Preston a couple of weeks ago. I thought is was damn good.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:50 PM

Everyone keeps talking about this Burgerim Israeli burger place lately. It's like 15$ out the door for three sliders.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: JayC41
Originally Posted By: Scagnetti

It never really did a god business and it was in a good location

Ate Becks on Forest and Preston a couple of weeks ago. I thought is was damn good.

That was the first location they opened in the DFW area
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:53 PM

For a drive through hard to beat a double/double at In & Out and they don't use flash frozen meats like some. Burger King close second for me. For a sit down I always choose Chili's.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
For a drive through hard to beat a double/double at In & Out and they don't use flash frozen meats like some. Burger King close second for me. For a sit down I always choose Chili's.

In and out is garbage.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 04:59 PM

my top three in no particular order are

Tommy's (Fort Worth)
Fred's (Fort Worth)
Burger Xtreme (Arlington)
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 05:01 PM

Where does Mooyah rate with all this burger battle discussion? I've always thought theirs is best there was. Especially their sweet potato fries, too!

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 05:06 PM

In and out is garbage.

It's all subjective Jay, I know a guy who think's Pancho's has the best Mexican food in the world.
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 05:09 PM

I saw where Chop House in arlington closed. They joined Pop's burgers as two recent winners that got to big for their britches and had to close down. Do what got you there dudes!

The original owner, Kenny Mills, sold Chop House to somebody else (I think from Dallas) in early 2017 and it went downhill in a hurry.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 05:14 PM

In and out is garbage.

It's all subjective Jay, I know a guy who think's Pancho's has the best Mexican food in the world.

its not subjective. There have been test done by the WEOT that says its inedible/garbage food.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 05:24 PM

Went with burger box. Legit.

Love a good double box burger 🍔
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Where does Mooyah rate with all this burger battle discussion? I've always thought theirs is best there was. Especially their sweet potato fries, too!

Mooyah is very solid. Big burger and fresh fries.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

Mooyah is meh. You need to try Rusty Beagle on 407 in lewisville.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 05:43 PM

I don't think Fred's will last much longer down there. Nothing but prius drivers now. Bill Martin would roll over in his grave.

We ate at Fred's for the first time on Wednesday, And I don't drive a prius for sure, I bet the evening crowd does though.

We all voted Meh for this visit-

I expected more to be honest, $58.00 for three people, soft drinks, no beer, not again.

I wished we had went to burger box instead.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: steveiam
We ate at Fred's for the first time on Wednesday, And I don't drive a prius for sure, I bet the evening crowd does though.

I expected more to be honest, $58.00 for three people, soft drinks, no beer, not again.

Which location? I'm a fan of Fred's North.
Posted By: Jon

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: soggybottom

In and out is garbage.

its not subjective. There have been test done by the WEOT that says its inedible/garbage food.

Washington Export Outreach Team (WEOT)?
Windsor-Essex Occasional Teachers?

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson

we go to Fred's TCU. Always excellent.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 06:27 PM

Whataburger Eaters of Texas (WEOT)
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 06:28 PM

I'm almost certain I've mentioned it before, but do yourselves a favor and try the Nooner at Liberty Burger if you ever find yourself near one.

It's so good that the last, parting bites become sort of a sad affair.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson
I'm almost certain I've mentioned it before, but do yourselves a favor and try the Nooner at Liberty Burger if you ever find yourself near one.

awful long way to go for a burger. crazy

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson

It was on Currie st JP-
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson

awful long way to go for a burger. crazy

Not this burger.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 06:56 PM

Whataburger Eaters of Texas (WEOT)

Ah yes, of course!
I'm surprised that did not show up in my google search.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 06:59 PM

Is that place in Rockwall that closes down after the meat runs out for the day still open?
How would that place compare to the favored burger list?
Posted By: Near Nuthin'

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 07:13 PM

Fred's should be ok since they own the W. 7th property - they aren't saddled with the sky high rent the other restaurant/bars in that area are.

I also prefer the TCU Fred's because of the parking and crowds on W. 7th.

My top burgers

Fred's, TCU
Twisted Root, Arlington
Fuego Burger, FW
Dutch's, FW
J's Casa Burger in River Oaks for an old school fast food burger
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 07:14 PM

Jaspers in Bluff Dale is pretty awesome. It's a different type of burger place. Stuff you can't easily make better at home like all other burger joints.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: nethingthatbites
Jaspers in Bluff Dale is pretty awesome. It's a different type of burger place. Stuff you can't easily make better at home like all other burger joints.

This place looks legit!
And the bathroom may rival that of T-mans-
Posted By: DJTripleR

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Jon
Is that place in Rockwall that closes down after the meat runs out for the day still open?

I am not a fan of Boots Burgers. I think they are highly over-rated.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Near Nuthin'

Fred's should be ok since they own the W. 7th property - they aren't saddled with the sky high rent the other restaurant/bars in that area are.

I also prefer the TCU Fred's because of the parking and crowds on W. 7th.

My top burgers

Fred's, TCU
Twisted Root, Arlington
Fuego Burger, FW
Dutch's, FW
J's Casa Burger in River Oaks for an old school fast food burger

My guess would be that if it came to it, he could sell that property on 7th and never have to make another burger in his life.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 07:35 PM

Fred's is a Fort Worth thing like Joe Ts, Railhead and Smoke Pit. It wouldn't be the same without them.
Posted By: DJTripleR

If any of you all find yourself in the south Garland area you need to stop in at Don Burger!! It is my favorite new burger place. Nothing gourmet about them just a good burger!! If you go and don't like it PM me and I will send you your money spent. I have had about 5-6 ppl try it that have loved it. They are fairly new.
Posted By: Lakhota

Boot's burger is still open and doing well, it's not far from the house.

They are good but I don't know how they would compare to the favored burger list. Who's list is it?

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 07:39 PM

Fred's is a Fort Worth thing like Joe Ts, Railhead and Smoke Pit. It wouldn't be the same without them.

tommy's was around way before Fred showed up. nothing like getting your burger and a cold quart to go with.
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: DJTripleR
If any of you all find yourself in the south Garland area you need to stop in at Don Burger!! It is my favorite new burger place. Nothing gourmet about them just a good burger!! If you go and don't like it PM me and I will send you your money spent. I have had about 5-6 ppl try it that have loved it. They are fairly new.

Just tried it. It was terrible. I took my family and friends on your recommendation and they all hated it too.

Bill was just north of $300. I'd like gas expense too. sarcastic

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 07:49 PM

tommy's was around way before Fred showed up. nothing like getting your burger and a cold quart to go with.

Yeah, he should clean his places up a little

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 08:08 PM

In and out is garbage.

I repeat, it's subjective. WEOT can't even spell hamburger much less do test of them. Besides, your bottom is soggy.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 08:12 PM

Texas disagrees with you and its more damp really.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 08:14 PM

Texas disagrees with you.

Aggies disagree with you. We win. frkazoid

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/12/18 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Lakhota

Boot's burger is still open and doing well, it's not far from the house.

They are good but I don't know how they would compare to the favored burger list. Who's list is it?

Not really such a list. I probably could have picked a better way to ask it.
Posted By: john h

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/13/18 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

The original owner, Kenny Mills, sold Chop House to somebody else (I think from Dallas) in early 2017 and it went downhill in a hurry.

Chop House was never the same after Kenny moved from his original location.
Posted By: Near Nuthin'

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/13/18 05:20 AM

My last 2 cents on Fred's - Terry Chandler has been offered a crazy, crazy amount of money for that place on W. 7th - He stays because it's been a family place since 1978 and he thinks he's an old visionary Chuck Wagon cowboy that can invent new culinary dishes. ?? He's a good guy, but I'll be shocked if he sells that place before he completely gives out

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/13/18 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By: john h
Originally Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Chop House was never the same after Kenny moved from his original location.

Yep.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/13/18 11:25 AM

Ate at a place on the courthouse square in Weatherford called Justice Burger about a year ago. Probably the best burger I've ever had. Was shut down the last time we were there.
Posted By: Space

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/13/18 01:12 PM

Becks has a great burger but you have to try the chili cheese dog. It has two 1/4 lbs hot dogs split and grilled on an open fire on a hamburger bun with a big scoop chili and cheese top. A little messy but I like it better than
their burger and the fries are good too.

Re: the curse of the burger battles - 10/13/18 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: joebass2
Ate at a place on the courthouse square in Weatherford called Justice Burger about a year ago. Probably the best burger I've ever had. Was shut down the last time we were there.

I would have went to skinnys down the street
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum