Texas Fishing Forum

Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers?

Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/18/18 06:57 PM

Was sort of wanting to see the new Predator movie. But then I saw the preview, and it gave away so much of the plot, story, and surprises that I thought "why bother seeing it in the theatre for full price?".

Got to browsing movie previews of older flicks, like the original Star Wars, E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, etc. Those older teaser trailers gave you just enough to whet your appetite for the new movie, without giving away too much (if anything at all!).

But nowadays, it seems like movie trailers are giving you the Cliff Notes version of the movie, just in case you don't have time to watch the whole thing.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/18/18 07:00 PM

Because today's movies sukk and no one would go without the detailed trailers.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/18/18 07:01 PM

Let’s start with making some original movies that aren’t trash.
Posted By: Canino

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/18/18 07:04 PM

There was a study, I can't remember where I saw it but I remember reading about it, that said people who read a plot synopsis before seeing a movie don't enjoy the movie any less.

I think that has affected the trailers and I'm sure they've done their own studies to back it up.

They figure people who were interested in the movie before seeing the trailer aren't going to bail, and uninterested people might get interested if the trailer isn't cryptic about what to expect from the movie. So might as well spill the beans - there's nothing to lose by doing so.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/18/18 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Mary Poppins sequel?
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/18/18 07:07 PM

Carpier the movie, the more detailed the trailer.
Cause its all they got.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/18/18 07:17 PM

Simple...it pays to advertise.

...-----
Posted By: COFF

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/18/18 07:18 PM

One of the best trailers I remember was for Independence Day. As I recall, it was just a short clip of the empire state building getting blown up and cars tumbling down the street in a giant fireball.

The very lack of information made people wet their pants in anticipation of that movie comeing out.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/18/18 07:28 PM

I feel most trailers are misleading.
Posted By: MARKIT

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/19/18 01:33 AM

Just the name predator tells me "I have seen it"
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/19/18 01:56 AM

Ask vivid that
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/19/18 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

As a regular movie goer I’m surprised to hear you say that

So what did you think of Beirut staring Jon Hamm and Rosamund Pike? A character driven film with a well crafted, tangential plot?

Or Journey’s End an unsentimental look at the plight of British soldiers in WW I featuring the talented Paul Bettany

But maybe you liked Leave No Trace, a raw, gritty film of living off the grid with some non-traditional takes on raging against the machine

I go to 20+ movies a year and 2018 has been an excellent indie film year
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/19/18 04:02 AM

I don't think there was as many movies to watch 40 years ago. If you liked watching movies back then, you would probably see most of the big movies that came out. Now we have more movie choices and less time. We have to really want to see a movie to go to the theater.

Most of us that watch movies we like more than once anyway, so spoilers in the trailer probably don't matter much.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/19/18 03:12 PM

I haven't been in a theater in probably 10 years. I haven't seen a trailer that made me say "hey I gotta see that movie". I guess I just have too much stuff to do to waste 3 hrs sitting on sticky chairs at the nearest Cinamark or whatever chains are around .
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Why do moviemakers give away so much in the trailers? - 09/19/18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Westside.
Ask vivid that

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum