Texas Fishing Forum

$3,000 Check

Posted By: Jman

$3,000 Check - 08/19/18 02:56 PM

I found one blowing in the wind on a commercial property on Thursday that had been made out the day before.

It was a corporate check for a small business in Grapevine. I looked them up and called them Friday AM. I spoke with a guy who knew what the check was for and he said the owner would definitely be interested in knowing what happened to the check and will call me right back with instructions on what he wanted done with it. I told him I’d even drive it over to him if he’d like since grapevine isn’t too far.

I just tore it up and threw it away - never heard back from anyone. Seems strange they didn’t take much more interest.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/19/18 02:59 PM

They probably cancelled the check and just didn't bother to call back
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/19/18 04:01 PM

Sounds like they’re a money laundering operation for a Mexican drug cartel and didn’t want to be exposed
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/19/18 05:16 PM

You should probably post this on Nextdoor.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/19/18 06:36 PM

I found one on the floor in Lowes for a mere $16,000. It was made out to a contractor from a property management company. No phone number on it so I dropped it off at the bank it was drawn off of.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/19/18 06:38 PM

You did the right thing Jim. Their loss. thumb
Posted By: MBradford

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/19/18 06:41 PM

So, what happens when he calls you back Monday morning (during regular business hours) and wants the check?
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/19/18 06:49 PM

I would’ve done the same thing.
Posted By: glenls

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/19/18 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: MBradford
So, what happens when he calls you back Monday morning (during regular business hours) and wants the check?

One word,,,,,Tough!
Posted By: patriot07

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/19/18 09:48 PM

I'd explain to him that he's lucky an honest person picked it up and that if he wants to mail a thank you card, he can send it to my parents for doing a good job raising a decent person in a society filled with selfish idiots.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/19/18 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
I'd explain to him that he's lucky an honest person picked it up and that if he wants to mail a thank you card, he can send it to my parents for doing a good job raising a decent person in a society filled with selfish idiots.

Lol
Posted By: Jman

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/19/18 11:05 PM

The physical check I wouldn’t think would be of too much concern but the bank routing and checking account number would be something someone who wanted to could try to exploit. As a business owner that would be my biggest concern and the reason n why I’d like to have a say in how it’s disposed or retrieved. That’s the biggest reason I was surprised to not have heard back. Personally I would have wanted to speak to someone holding a check of mine to at least know who has my banking info in case something shady shows up down the line.
Posted By: VIP Fishing

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/20/18 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Scagnetti
Sounds like they’re a money laundering operation for a Mexican drug cartel and didn’t want to be exposed

That’s exactly what I thought
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: $3,000 Check - 08/20/18 03:24 AM

My wife and I were leaving a parking lot when a car across the street pulled out and something fell off the top of their car. We stopped and my wife grabbed the bag, it was a bank deposit bag. She opened it to see if there were any obvious names as to the owner. She finally found a business owners name and phone #, called the lady and then the lady was so freaking lazy that we had to drive 20 miles to take it to her. Dropped it off and the bizatch didn’t even mumble thank you. It had a couple hundred bucks in it and several personal checks. She didn’t even offer us a few bucks to pay for our gas, should have just kept the cash and thrown the checks in the trashcan.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum