Texas Fishing Forum

Academys no touch policy

Posted By: blooper961

Academys no touch policy - 07/12/18 08:06 PM

An Academy sports employee in Florida,Dean Crouch was fired for---
touching a customer.
Dean tackled a man who stole a gun and ammo.
Says when he gets out he would steal again.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/12/18 08:18 PM

I can't substantiate this, but my guess is the guy stealing a gun and ammo does not intend to use it for sporting or otherwise legal purposes.

And Academy's response is to sack the guy that is looking out for the general public?
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/12/18 08:47 PM

I’m more concerned with my wife’s no touch policy
Posted By: Gourdbuster

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/12/18 09:24 PM

The no touch policy applies to confronting shoplifters. This is obviously not the ordinary shoplift though. Almost every company has a policy against average employees confronting suspected shoplifters, that is reserved for trained loss prevention associates or managers. In most cases the LP personnel have a no touch policy as well though many do still allow LP to subdue shoplifters physically.

Regardless of all those policies every company has a policy against anyone no matter what position confronting a shoplifter with a weapon.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/12/18 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Gourdbuster
Regardless of all those policies every company has a policy against anyone no matter what position confronting a shoplifter with a weapon.

Yeah, and such policies enable criminals to ply their trade.
Posted By: Nekro

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/12/18 10:06 PM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...ouch/780089002/

I was going going buy some line and rattle traps today on the way to a concert. Guess im not going fishing tomorrow.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/12/18 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

roflmao
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/12/18 10:26 PM

if you knock the jit out of him with a bat, does that count as no touchie
Posted By: Mo

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/12/18 10:27 PM

I read something about Stormy Daniels and a no touch policy today.

MO
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/12/18 10:35 PM

Having in the past worked parttime at an Academy Sports store, I can confirm that is their policy. Only thing we were supposed to do was 1) notify a manager, 2) notify the loss control staff, 3) if the person is still in the store, flood them with associates asking if they need assistance, 4) try to get the description of their vehicle, license plate, direction departed to give to the police. But never was an employee to confront or physically try to stop an individual.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/12/18 10:39 PM

Does the no touch policy include “motor boating”?
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 02:59 AM

I worked at Academy from 99-05. This was before the sold out and were still family owned. It was far different back then. Something we did probably got the company sued and the new policy put into place. roflmao
Posted By: COFF

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Does the no touch policy include “motor boating”?

There is a specific exception if Stormy Daniels is doing the shoplifting.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 11:56 AM

The "no touch" policy when strictly enforced absolves companies from serious lawsuits.

1-Policy in place.
2-Violator fired.
3-Violator acted on their own...sue them.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 11:56 AM

The Academy story in Portland Texas must have a no touch policy. All the fishing rods were on top of the lure racks, you have to get an someone with a ladder to get them down if you wanted to look at one. Probably to much breakage, I don't buy their rods, just noticed.
Posted By: DillonCan'tFish

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 01:18 PM

How do you steal a firearm in the first place? Unless you just bolted for the door while they were showing it to you.

If we spot a shoplifter in our store, we let them do their thing while the cops are on their way. As soon as they get outside, it is now considered theft and the cops are waiting for them. It has only happened a few times.
Posted By: JRGOCARDS

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: dillon_SWFA
How do you steal a firearm in the first place? Unless you just bolted for the door while they were showing it to you.

If we spot a shoplifter in our store, we let them do their thing while the cops are on their way. As soon as they get outside, it is now considered theft and the cops are waiting for them. It has only happened a few times.

pretty sure that's exactly what he did.

JR
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: JRGOCARDS
Originally Posted By: dillon_SWFA

pretty sure that's exactly what he did.

JR

Call the police and order a pizza and see who gets there first. bolt
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Well said. Couple years ago I brought to attention of Walmart Asst Manager a (single mother?) and 5 kids aged maybe 10 to 18 were walking out of the store pushing new and unpaid for bicycles. I'd followed them from the department to the door. He did nothing. As said, same for the families that come in just to grab a free meal. We're the ones who end up paying for it.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 05:17 PM

He was rehired by Academy, due to public comment.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 06:50 PM

The public is always right
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Notaguide
The public is always right

Most of the time; then there’s Nazi Germany and a few other examples where the mass public goes kind of insane

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 08:55 PM

Such policies protect the company from liability and hopefully keep a bad situation from turning worse. You really want some cashier getting to a scuffle over a gun or knife.

Not to mention the liability that occurs when they confront someone who isn't a shoplifter and proceed to get physical with them.

There are professionals trained in detecting and apprehending shoplifters. However no piece of store merchandise is worth your life.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 10:00 PM

Such policies protect the company from liability and hopefully keep a bad situation from turning worse.Hope is such a lovely thing. It's a mathematical certainty that criminals will target the same business again once they learn its easy to rob them.

You really want some cashier getting to a scuffle over a gun or knife. If it will prevent foreseeable murders from being done with that weapon, yes.

Not to mention the liability that occurs when they confront someone who isn't a shoplifter and proceed to get physical with them. This is already covered under law in "shopkeepers privilege"

There are professionals trained in detecting and apprehending shoplifters. Where are these soi-disant "professionals"? If they truly existed, thieves would be too terrified to steal.

However no piece of store merchandise is worth your life. We finally agree on something. But the criminals life is worth far, far less to me than my property is.

Semper Fi
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 10:08 PM

One of the local DFW news channels had a report a year or more ago that DPD will no longer respond to shoplifting calls. That didn't seem all that wise to me. However, serial shoplifters probably already knew that.
Posted By: Skavatar

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/13/18 10:10 PM

I worked there for about a year. They have a policy that employees do not engage criminals. If the employee(s) get hurt or customers get hurt, its a huge liablility (lawsuits). There is no item that they sell that is more important than your life or health. They told us they have cameras and just call the cops and let them handle it.

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/14/18 12:04 AM

Such policies protect the company from liability and hopefully keep a bad situation from turning worse.Hope is such a lovely thing. It's a mathematical certainty that criminals will target the same business again once they learn its easy to rob them.
Shoplifting is not a robbery. In the event of a robbery every store I've consulted for had a strict policy of compliance with the robbers even for the LP personnel. Only armed guards and off duty officers were permitted to confront an armed subject.

You really want some cashier getting to a scuffle over a gun or knife. If it will prevent foreseeable murders from being done with that weapon, yes.
Better pay them well then. I can't imagine any large company expecting floor associates to risk their lives.

Not to mention the liability that occurs when they confront someone who isn't a shoplifter and proceed to get physical with them. This is already covered under law in "shopkeepers privilege"
Shopkeepers privilege allows stores to detain a suspected shoplifter for a reasonable amount of time to determine if a theft has occurred and allows for civil restitution to be collected. However "bad stops" are still a liability to the company. The average bad stop ends up costing the company about $5,000, at least those were the numbers in our directives 15 years ago.

There are professionals trained in detecting and apprehending shoplifters. Where are these soi-disant "professionals"? If they truly existed, thieves would be too terrified to steal.
They do, the trend of hands off or hands on cycles out about every ten years. I used to work hands on, then the companies shifted to hands off. Now more and more have seen their theft numbers increase and are moving back towards hands on. Hands on only applies to the trained LP personnel though. Shoplifters aren't scared, they just want their fix and will do anything to get it. Some are very organized and case the locations for months. At one company we had a group of guys whose job it was to identify and follow the organized boosters from store to store in order to identify their fence location and hand all that evidence over to the police. Irving used to have a store theft group made up of the property crimes detectives and any local retail store that was interested, I don't know if it still exists but it formed a line of communication between stores, police, and known shoplifters, really made a positive impact on shrink.

However no piece of store merchandise is worth your life. We finally agree on something. But the criminals life is worth far, far less to me than my property is.
Agreed. But a corporations property is worth less to me than my life.

Semper Fi
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Academys no touch policy - 07/14/18 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

No touch and goes!

Cheers, cheers

George
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum