Texas Fishing Forum

Got the feeling about getting another dog

Posted By: grandpa75672

Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 12:58 PM

But I doubt I will find another couch potato like Buckwheat.
He would sit by me all day long and never try to leave.

I can't walk an active dog so that leaves out puppies and youg dogs.
The only dogs I've ever had were dachshunds except for one border collie.

Have to think some more before I go dog hunting.
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 01:06 PM

I say go for it, just going to have to find the right one.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 01:09 PM

Plenty of older dogs in shelters.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 01:14 PM

If you really like Doxies you could start with a peek at North Texas Dachshund Rescue. That's where my wife found our dog.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 01:15 PM

This is maybe the only time I would ever say this, but get a cat instead. My grandmother-in-law had a yorkie that died a few years ago. Just before Christmas last year she went to the pound and came home with a 3-4 year old min schnauzer. That dog is going to be the death of her. Turns out the dog has some type of skin condition and she takes him to the vet at least once a month. She can't walk him, so she puts him on a long tether in front of her apartment. He has nipped at two or three of her neighbors (this is a retirement community, so old folks walking around everywhere). Then she can't keep any kind of schedule so the dog ends up locked inside all day long and makes messes everywhere.

I know you are thinking this is just an all around bad/unlucky situation for all involved and you are right. But overall, a cat is much lower maintenance than a dog. If that can satisfy you for companionship, then it may be a much better fit. Also, it will help out catching spiders or anything else in your trailer.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 01:16 PM

You should get a cat.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 01:22 PM

Go to the shelter and ask the employees for the lowest energy dog thats healthy
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 01:22 PM

Put an ad in the paper...I guess the cities facebook now a days. I'm sure somebody will have a lead on a lazy old dog that needs a home.

Now we just need someone to wordsmith it.

Wanted;
Old man seeking companion....
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 01:24 PM

Any wiener dog over a year old will be a couch potato. They are not known to be high energy dogs.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 01:25 PM

Goldfish are fairly low maintenance.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 01:28 PM

Get a service monkey.
Posted By: Tneel

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 02:13 PM

[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics...c7c4c09_bad_tax[/img]

A buddy of mine has one he might adopt out that's very mellow. He just sits all day,goes by the name of lightning.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 02:27 PM

Dachshunds are too dangerous! Didn't you hear about the Dachshunds that ate it's owner? Get an older rescue Pit Bull.
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 02:30 PM

Get a cat.
My wife took in this kitten Monday and it's already living on my lap when I'm home.

Posted By: rj74955

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 02:31 PM

Chickenman has a he/she/it chicken.

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 02:42 PM

[quote=COFF]This is maybe the only time I would ever say this, but get a cat instead. My grandmother-in-law had a yorkie that died a few years ago. Just before Christmas last year she went to the pound and came home with a 3-4 year old min schnauzer. That dog is going to be the death of her. Turns out the dog has some type of skin condition and she takes him to the vet at least once a month. She can't walk him, so she puts him on a long tether in front of her apartment. He has nipped at two or three of her neighbors (this is a retirement community, so old folks walking around everywhere). Then she can't keep any kind of schedule so the dog ends up locked inside all day long and makes messes everywhere.

I know you are thinking this is just an all around bad/unlucky situation for all involved and you are right. But overall, a cat is much lower maintenance than a dog. If that can satisfy you for companionship, then it may be a much better fit. Also, it will help out catching spiders or anything else in your trailer. [/quot

There are four cats and three dogs on the place now.
I had cats before Buckwheat.
All were good pets.
Two things I don't like about cats.
Claws and litter boxes.
The first hurts and the second stinks.
I live in very small quarters. No place for a litter box.
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 02:43 PM

Get you a pug. They don't do sh*t.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 02:50 PM

Have you considered rescuing a senior dachshund?

My wife and I have fostered about a dozen wiener dogs over the years. The rescue we hooked up with has dogs with all kinds of backgrounds/personalities. Special needs, senior, puppies, etc.

http://www.atdr.org/

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: grandpa75672

There are four cats and three dogs on the place now.
I had cats before Buckwheat.
All were good pets.
Two things I don't like about cats.
Claws and litter boxes.
The first hurts and the second stinks.
I live in very small quarters. No place for a litter box.

Im not trying to sell you on the idea...this is informational only:
Although natural selection may change this over time, at present goldfish dont have claws - and like most pets, they dont require a litter box.
Posted By: Woody Wood

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 02:58 PM

I have heard that Boston Terriers are great due to their need for companionship.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 03:21 PM

Gpa needs a Jack Russell to get him some exercise and get out of that trailer.
Posted By: BCasper

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: I'm The Dude
Get you a pug. They don't do sh*t.

I'll 2nd this. Have 3 pugs myself.
http://www.dfwpugs.com
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 04:12 PM

I suggest a cabbage patch doll. bolt

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Coach Hark

Don't you read? I cannot get out of the trailer to do much of anything. Physically unable. I can't walk 50 feet without having stop and sit down. I'm getting damned tired of explaining that to people who really don't or can't pay attention. I promised not to say anything about my health but some times I half to

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 05:21 PM

some times I half to

*sometimes
*have

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 05:24 PM

Don't you read? I cannot get out of the trailer to do much of anything. Physically unable. I can't walk 50 feet without having stop and sit down. I'm getting damned tired of explaining that to people who really don't or can't pay attention. I promised not to say anything about my health but some times I half to

chill...some of us don't pay that much attention, and aren't on here 24/7.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 05:30 PM

Get a long haired miniature Dachsy. Greatest dogs ever. If it outlives you, Ill welcome it here.

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 05:33 PM

Again, not selling but...a goldfish wont need to get out of the trailer and depending upon the size of bowl/tank, their range is generally less than one foot.

There are no goldfish rescue organizations, so no home inspection would be required.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 05:41 PM

I think that a lot of rescue organizations do home inspections before letting the dog go. Not sure how that would play out.

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 08:24 PM

Naw, I dont read every one of your post and dont really give a chit what kind of dog you get. Is that better?
Posted By: COFF

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Sawhorse

Again, not selling but...a goldfish wont need to get out of the trailer and depending upon the size of bowl/tank, their range is generally less than one foot.

There are no goldfish rescue organizations, so no home inspection would be required.

I used to have a goldfish. I had to get rid of him though because he was sick and I couldn't afford to keep taking him to vets. They never knew what to do for him, and I was getting frustrated and going broke. He was having some type of seizure every time I tried to pet him.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 10:38 PM

Cats suck. Dont get a cat
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 10:43 PM

Naw, I dont read every one of your post and dont really give a chit what kind of dog you get. Is that better?

roflmao
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 10:50 PM

Get a smart kitty.

Posted By: Cast

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: COFF
Originally Posted By: Sawhorse

I used to have a goldfish. I had to get rid of him though because he was sick and I couldn't afford to keep taking him to vets. They never knew what to do for him, and I was getting frustrated and going broke. He was having some type of seizure every time I tried to pet him.

Attaboy

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 11:28 PM

This thread is wonderfulicious!
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Westside.

roflmao

Atleast your honest. Same way most of us feel!
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/11/18 11:41 PM

What about a goldfish

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/12/18 03:50 AM

roflmao

My mom is 74, had a double mastectomy to get rid of breast cancer, has neuropathy, COPD and diabetes. I got her walking to the road and back, then to the next house and back. Did that in 3 days. Now she goes to the school and walks around the track. Shes lost over 25 pounds in 4 months and feels better than she has in years. Just saying..... She didnt think she could until I pulled Coach on her and got into her arse.

As my signature says- Whether you think you can or you cant youre right.
Posted By: timbertoes

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/12/18 04:01 AM

That's a miracle right there. Good for both of you smile

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/12/18 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By: timbertoes
That's a miracle right there. Good for both of you smile

Failed to mention shes on some type of Atkins diet her Dr. put her on, I just want all the credit😂😂
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/12/18 02:08 PM

Coach Hark, I was going to suggest something similar, but didn't know how to say it. I agree--Gpa needs to get up and move around a little.
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/12/18 02:50 PM

IMO:
Generally all a choice, dictated by the brain.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/12/18 02:58 PM

My grandmother is 96, broke both hips, stroke, pacemaker, guess what, still drives herself to wherever she needs to go, mows her lawn, cleans and maintains her 3 bedroom home, and will kick your azz for being a lazy, get busy living or die trying

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/12/18 03:34 PM

My grandmother is 96, broke both hips, stroke, pacemaker, guess what, still drives herself to wherever she needs to go, mows her lawn, cleans and maintains her 3 bedroom home, and will kick your azz for being a lazy, get busy living or die trying

I believe every word that comes out of your mouth
Both hips and still walks. Amazing
Drives stoch cars in NASCR too.
So happy some people can do so much more than others
Posted By: Urban Fisher

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/12/18 04:29 PM

Get a parakeet and teach it to say bad words.

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/12/18 04:47 PM

flehan

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/12/18 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: nethingthatbites
flehan

..l..
Posted By: Trunkful

Re: Got the feeling about getting another dog - 07/12/18 10:24 PM

cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum