Texas Fishing Forum

New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips?

Posted By: Jamaica

New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 03:11 PM

My wife & want to do a little road trip to New Orleans in August. I really don't care-Just need a getaway for 3-4 days. Any goo priced places to stay at,see ect...Thanks for any info! thumb
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 03:18 PM

Go to Mothers for a roast beef po boy and Domilises for shrimp or crawfish po boy. Dont go too far down bourbon street or youll end up seeing things you cant unsee. Cafe Du Monde for beignets and coffee.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 03:26 PM

New Orleans in August? Hope you love stifling heat and humidity.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 03:38 PM

Can't go wrong with Mother's debris. National WW2 Museum is slightly better than the Nimitz. Tipitina's is a great place for live music.
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 03:43 PM

get on a swamp boat and go see some wildlife during your days, music and food at night.
Posted By: 410MAN

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 03:44 PM

WW 2 Museum is great, even wife liked it. Commanders palace for lunch, great service, 12 of us were at a table and ALL were served at exactly same time by 12 waiters, very impressive.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

and mosquitos the size of Dragonflies.
Posted By: COFF

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 04:01 PM

What is the best place to stay? I'm thinking along the same lines but probably in October/November.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 04:47 PM

As others have said, WW II Museum is excellent and well worth investing half-a-day or more. I wanted to go to Commander's Palace the last time I was there but could not get a reservation. Had to "settle" for Brennan's for that upscale dining experience the wife wanted. Something else we both enjoyed was taking a cooking class at the NOLA School of Cooking - at the one we took the chef/instructor did all the cooking while we watched and got to enjoy the fruits of his labor. He also provided some interesting history on New Orleans and the region. Regarding where to stay, we stayed in Metairie for half the cost of a French Quarter hotel and drove 15 minutes to the Quarter. Parking was plentiful and not too costly if you reserve ahead of time via a parking app.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 04:55 PM

Bring lots of water and towels to soak up sweat
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 04:59 PM

I love New Orleans just not in the summer
Posted By: Mo

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: JCG57
As others have said, WW II Museum is excellent and well worth investing half-a-day or more. I wanted to go to Commander's Palace the last time I was there but could not get a reservation. Had to "settle" for Brennan's for that upscale dining experience the wife wanted. Something else we both enjoyed was taking a cooking class at the NOLA School of Cooking - at the one we took the chef/instructor did all the cooking while we watched and got to enjoy the fruits of his labor. He also provided some interesting history on New Orleans and the region. Regarding where to stay, we stayed in Metairie for half the cost of a French Quarter hotel and drove 15 minutes to the Quarter. Parking was plentiful and not too costly if you reserve ahead of time via a parking app.

I'll second the cooking school , great time,

Drago's for Charbroiled Oysters

Mo
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 05:37 PM

August heat and humidity combine very uniquely in New Orleans. I dont know the scientific term for it, but theres a perfect heat/humidity combination that helps lift the odor-carrying molecules from the abundant stale urine & vomit residue, and then help them hover right about nose level.

On a positive note, there are some excellent restaurants.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 06:43 PM

It's gonna stink.
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 07:24 PM

WW2 musuem
Posted By: ou.sooner

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 07:33 PM

Go to the Bourbon House and get a Bourbon Milk Punch. Its a milkshake w/ bourbon, It's good.......

We stayed at the French Market Inn and really enjoyed it. Bourbon Street was a short walk as was Jackson Square and Cafe Dumonde.

If somebody asks if you want your shoes shined or "I can tell you where you got your shoes" just keep moving.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 07:56 PM

Take a road trip to Grand Isle for the day, walk on the beach, and eat some good seafood.
Posted By: Arkansas10 bass

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 08:01 PM

Anywhere but New Orleans in August for all the above mentioned reasons.

Believe it!
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry

and mosquitos the size of Dragonflies.

I went last July and killed mosquitoes that had dog ticks on them.
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 08:17 PM

I hope you love the smell of peepee and vomit.
Posted By: cellis

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: 410MAN
Commanders palace for lunch, great service, 12 of us were at a table and ALL were served at exactly same time by 12 waiters, very impressive.

Commanders Palace is great king
Posted By: Po Boy

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 08:30 PM

Stay home!
Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: JayC41
I hope you love the smell of peepee and vomit.

I was just there and no bad smell other than some standing water was a little funky.

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 09:11 PM

Lol, ok. I kinda got the picture roflmao Where to go within 6 hours of Austin would you suggest?
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Jamaica
Lol, ok. I kinda got the picture roflmao Where to go within 6 hours of Austin would you suggest?

Ennis is beautiful this time of year.
Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 09:16 PM

Just go to NOLA. My favorite place on earth.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 10:01 PM

In August? New England and the UP of Michigan are nice and cool, and less than 6 hours by air.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/10/18 10:15 PM

agree with comments that New Orleans weather is terrible in August....suggest you take another couple days off and drive up to Estes Park,Co. just north of Denver and go to Rocky Mtn national park...weather is a whole lot better than New Orleans and the wildlife/scenery viewing is great... (your chances of getting mugged are just about zero)...
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 12:08 AM

Avoid the [censored] hole at all cost.
Posted By: Snagalager

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 02:08 AM

The only thing to see there is torn up real estate and old cemeteries
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 04:55 AM

Im from Louisiana and I avoid N.O. Like the plague.

If you must go, WWII museum, trolley to capitol city grill for breakfast, blackened alligator at mullattes are my only must dos. I do enjoy the aquarium as well.

Any of the hotels near the quarter are fine and generally safe walking distance from everything.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 11:58 AM

Take an old pair of shoes. If you walk down bourbon street after 9pm your shoes are going to get covered in booze, vomit, [censored], and other bodily fluids. Best just to seal them in a bio-hazard bag and chuck them in the garbage. Good times other than that. Also, be wary of that last weekend in August, I think that's "Decadence" weekend. You'll see things that'll haunt you for the rest of your days.

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 12:51 PM

So yea.. New Orleans is got the BIG X. Looking somewhere else now. Within 6-8 hours of driving from Austin
Posted By: Mo

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 01:11 PM

There is so much more to New Orleans than Bourbon Street.
Many folks don't seem to understand this simple fact. Have a person spend a
night on 6th street in Austin, then judge the whole city by that.

Mo
Posted By: PondFish

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 01:32 PM

My wife went to Tulane and we go to New Orleans regularly.
We like to stay at the Royal Sonesta New Orleans at Bourbon and Conti. Desire Oyster Bar is one of their restaurants.
There are some great shops a block over on Royal.
You can pretty much just walk around and find a good place to eat or get a drink.
Caf Pontalba at St Peter and Chartres has good food and offers a good view of Jackson Square. The building it is in has a pretty cool history as well.
Posted By: Po Boy

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 02:21 PM

If you live in Austin, just go ahead and go to New Orleans.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 03:57 PM

So yea.. New Orleans is got the BIG X. Looking somewhere else now. Within 6-8 hours of driving from Austin

Lake Amistad and rent a houseboat and some kayaks

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 04:11 PM

^^Got a link to Lake Amistad for the houseboat
Posted By: CCTX

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 04:19 PM

Sorry, houseboats are no longer available for rent at lake Amistadlakeside cabins are an option though

Lake Travis has houseboat rentals

Also

Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx

Lake Amistad and rent a houseboat and some kayaks

I wish they still rented those.

After the rental outfit sold them, I went so far as to write down the TX #s on some of the boats, look up the owner on tpwd, and got in touch with several to see if they would rent the boats. None of them wanted to do that.
Posted By: jrs_39

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 04:45 PM

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to just start peeing in your garage everyday between now and August. Let it soak in really good. Then for vacation, set up a cot in the garage, drink a whole bottle of everclear, and have somebody come in about day two and crack the back of your head with a ball peen hammer. The total New Orleans experience right at your doorstep.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: jrs_39
It would be a lot easier and cheaper to just start peeing in your garage everyday between now and August. Let it soak in really good. Then for vacation, set up a cot in the garage, drink a whole bottle of everclear, and have somebody come in about day two and crack the back of your head with a ball peen hammer. The total New Orleans experience right at your doorstep.

roflmao
Posted By: Pilothawk

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 04:54 PM

Austin toMaui is only 7+45.

Thats my choice...
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 08:18 PM

Willie Maes Scotch House for fried chicken---the best I've ever had
Saw it on Food Network and stopped in for business lunch....get there early or it will be gone
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 10:49 PM

Never been to NO, but I dont know why I would after all I hear about it...
Posted By: skankysally

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/11/18 11:01 PM

If you haven't booked it yet, don't let all the talk of great food blah, blah, blah fool you into it

That place is a dump, its filthy plain and simple
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/12/18 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Mo
There is so much more to New Orleans than Bourbon Street.
Many folks don't seem to understand this simple fact. Have a person spend a
night on 6th street in Austin, then judge the whole city by that.

Mo

thumb

Lots of neat things to do. I wrote to two reports on here with lots of info.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: New Orleans little trip in August. Any suggestion or tips? - 07/12/18 03:01 AM

Hotel Monteleone, sit at the carousel bar and have a couple drinks, garden district it cool, the cemetary there is cool, eat as many oysters as you can, dragos, felix, acme, the aquarium is cool. Jackson square, take a carriage ride at night, cafe dumond (go to take out window in back then sit on the wall). Chicory coffee, mother's for breakfast also Stanley's for breakfast , it's a good trip
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum