Texas Fishing Forum

Red light cameras

Posted By: COFF

Red light cameras - 06/23/18 05:49 PM

It’s been a little while since I have seen much discussion on these taxation devices. There are a whole lot of very strong yet mostly unsubstantiated opinions available on the inernets. But does anybody here have first hand knowledge to impart?

Specifically, has anyone NOT paid the $75 fine? What happened? Report against your credit, or trouble registering?
Posted By: sll

Re: Red light cameras - 06/23/18 05:54 PM

I work with a guy that has received 2 of them over 2 years ago and he never paid them and has seen no repercussion. They never even followed up and sent him another notice.
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: Red light cameras - 06/23/18 06:28 PM

Got 2. Di dnt pay. No repercussions. They're not tickets issued by an LEO.
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: Red light cameras - 06/23/18 06:31 PM

I’d imagine not paying could lead to restrictions on registering your vehicle. This is what NTTA will do for unpaid tolls. I believe it’s called scoff law.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Red light cameras - 06/23/18 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: JayC41
I’d imagine not paying could lead to restrictions on registering your vehicle. This is what NTTA will do for unpaid tolls. I believe it’s called scoff law.

I’ve gotten a couple in the last year and didn’t pay them. I had no problem renewing my registration just this week. The county officials here said they aren’t going to serve as a collection agency for an out of state business. Also they were declared unconstitutional recently by the Supreme Court.
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: Red light cameras - 06/23/18 07:12 PM

Scofflaw definition

http://www.dallascounty.org/department/tax/mv_what_is_scofflaw.php
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Red light cameras - 06/23/18 07:45 PM

You won’t be able to renew your registration online or in Tarrant, Dallas counties.

But give it a try and let us know.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Red light cameras - 06/23/18 08:35 PM

The city council here in Nac had it on their agenda to consider at the last council meeting. The police chief gave his assessment of the program and it was tabled, indefinitely. It is not about safety, it is about money. Glad common sense prevailed.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Red light cameras - 06/23/18 11:24 PM

The tax collector in Collin County refused to block in person liscense tags when the blocks started in 2013. Finally sanity has prevailed and the Collin County Scofflaws will have to pay the piper starting 9/01/2018.
Maybe it’s a county tax collector decision.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 12:19 AM

https://www.bhwlawfirm.com/pay-red-light-camera-ticket-texas/

That’s dated May 2018 so it’s pretty current

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: SheldonS
You won’t be able to renew your registration online or in Tarrant, Dallas counties.

But give it a try and let us know.
Had no problem in Randall. I called the issuing agency in Houston and told them I wasn't driving the car and the gal said " We'll stop sending notices". Like, She Knows their bogus too.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
https://www.bhwlawfirm.com/pay-red-light-camera-ticket-texas/

That’s dated May 2018 so it’s pretty current

Good Read, Thanks for posting

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 09:27 AM

My issue how can they issue the owner of the vehicle a ticket, when there is a pretty good chance you have no clue who was driving one of your vehicles at the time.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 01:54 PM

I think they are bs and should not be allowed.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 01:55 PM

you dont have to pay them

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders
you dont have to pay them

Unless they can provide me a picture of whom the driver is then I am not paying either if I ever get one.
Posted By: barndoor

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 04:25 PM

It sounds like it depends on the county you live in. Dallas and Denton counties enforce the scofflaw law versus other counties don’t enforce it. I worked with a guy that received one in Dallas and he could not renew his registration until he paid the fine. Tarrant County Tax Accessor Ron Wright stated he is not enforcing it.
Posted By: Snowman

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 07:37 PM

Real good stuff already said. I used to work at a dfw court.

The following is how this goes: it doesn’t matter who drove the vehicle, they only go by the LP registration name. It is a cash cow for sure. Garland started the whole thing in the early days, and after that, every city council got moist. The city where I worked ( in a 12 month period) brought in 500,000.00.

These are “ civil citations” not criminal tickets. The video is initially reviewed by a police officer, then the information is forwarded to a civilian hearing officer. If you receive one, you may go to a scheduled informal hearing where he will review the video with you and make a determination of either “ liable” or “ not liable”. Notice, I didn’t say guilty or not guilty. If you choose to go further, you can go to a pre-trial with the prosecutor. If you still want to challenge it you can go to trial at a future date.

At the trial, the judge will rule either “ liable” or “ not liable”. If you do not pay, guess what happens next - NOTHING.
Reported to PD or DPS - no. Reported to your insurance - no. Reported to credit bureau- no.
Scofflaw - mostly no, because the county clerks are “ elected officials “ ( catch my drift) but you might check in your particular county.

So you see, they come at you saying traffic safety and we all get that, right? But they also enjoy counting all that cool cash. It’s simply a way to gently lean on the citizenry and rake in the bucks. At least in my city, the hearing officer would almost always educate the senior citizens who were on a fixed income, and then find them “ not liable” .
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 08:00 PM

Don't run redlights. If you do, pay the ticket

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Snowman
Real good stuff already said. I used to work at a dfw court.

The following is how this goes: it doesn’t matter who drove the vehicle, they only go by the LP registration name. It is a cash cow for sure. Garland started the whole thing in the early days, and after that, every city council got moist. The city where I worked ( in a 12 month period) brought in 500,000.00.

These are “ civil citations” not criminal tickets. The video is initially reviewed by a police officer, then the information is forwarded to a civilian hearing officer. If you receive one, you may go to a scheduled informal hearing where he will review the video with you and make a determination of either “ liable” or “ not liable”. Notice, I didn’t say guilty or not guilty. If you choose to go further, you can go to a pre-trial with the prosecutor. If you still want to challenge it you can go to trial at a future date.

At the trial, the judge will rule either “ liable” or “ not liable”. If you do not pay, guess what happens next - NOTHING.
Reported to PD or DPS - no. Reported to your insurance - no. Reported to credit bureau- no.
Scofflaw - mostly no, because the county clerks are “ elected officials “ ( catch my drift) but you might check in your particular county.

So you see, they come at you saying traffic safety and we all get that, right? But they also enjoy counting all that cool cash. It’s simply a way to gently lean on the citizenry and rake in the bucks. At least in my city, the hearing officer would almost always educate the senior citizens who were on a fixed income, and then find them “ not liable” .

thumb

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Dubee

Some of us have multiply work vehicles and really don't know whom is driving them

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 10:20 PM

And you've never gone 42 mph in a 40...
Posted By: COFF

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: kjwolvy

I was asking for a friend.

Re: Red light cameras - 06/24/18 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: COFF

I know. I was responding to those that are perfect and never do any wrong. thumb

Re: Red light cameras - 06/25/18 12:27 AM

Sure i have, all the time. But if i get a ticket for it. I would pay it and not whine.

Re: Red light cameras - 06/25/18 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: COFF

I know. I was responding to those that are perfect and never do any wrong. thumb

Who said they were perfect and never did wrong.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum