Texas Fishing Forum

BitCoin Mining?

Posted By: DavidWhatley

BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 02:16 PM

Anyone here know anything about it? Anyobe doing it?
Please enlighten us.
Posted By: Frenzy

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 02:26 PM

The best thing to do is install it on computers at work at let them pay the electric bill. bolt
Posted By: TR176

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 03:22 PM

There are some excellent stories about the bitcoin mining industry that is operating out of Iceland.
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 03:23 PM

I hear the Russians have a large bitcoin mining farm.......
Posted By: Jon

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 03:36 PM

I wish I could understand more about it. From what I gather, the amount of computing power that is now needed to mine for bitcoin blockchains is pretty much at the astronomical level. Probably due to the fact their aren’t many left to mine for. I think there are “Collectives” for lack of a better word where a ton of people let their computers work together something like the SETI project used to be but I don’t think the return is worth the resources expended.
Sort of like the first people who got the easy big nuggets of gold out of the creeks in California at the beginning of the gold rush in the mid 1800’s. Then it went down hill from there. That’s what little bit I’ve heard about it anyways.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: DavidWhatley
Please enlighten us.

You're 10 years late.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 04:12 PM

Frenzy, do you have something you need to get off your chest?

Stolen Bitcoin Computers
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: BassFever
Please enlighten us.

You're 10 years late.

this
Posted By: Frenzy

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: swalker9513
Frenzy, do you have something you need to get off your chest?

Stolen Bitcoin Computers

I'm not clicking that....nsfw.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 05:56 PM

You can download the bit mining software to your laptop. It will take you a little over 1,000 years to mine your first coin.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Emit R Detsaw
I hear the Russians have a large bitcoin mining farm.......

North Korea may have made as much as $200 million from Bitcoin...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03...coin-according/
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Jon
I wish I could understand more about it. From what I gather, the amount of computing power that is now needed to mine for bitcoin blockchains is pretty much at the astronomical level. Probably due to the fact their aren’t many left to mine for. I think there are “Collectives” for lack of a better word where a ton of people let their computers work together something like the SETI project used to be but I don’t think the return is worth the resources expended.
Sort of like the first people who got the easy big nuggets of gold out of the creeks in California at the beginning of the gold rush in the mid 1800’s. Then it went down hill from there. That’s what little bit I’ve heard about it anyways.

That's a pretty solid summation.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 11:07 PM

If Dr. Nooooooooooo shuts off the world's electricity, then you go broke and die!

Better hook your gear up to a pedal bike...

...------

Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 11:12 PM

the bitcoin mining train left the station quit a awhile ago
Posted By: Allison1

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/05/18 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: BassFever
Please enlighten us.

You're 10 years late.

Started in 2009, so not quite 10 years

The first company that traded bitcoin set the price at 1/8th of a cent per bitcoin. They said at the time in 2009 that was the approximate amount of energy used to mine it.
I think it costs thousands of dollars to mine it today. Other than that I have heard nothing except that I saw a headline yesterday about 600 computers that had been in use mining bitcoin were stolen. So obviously someone is still doing it but its more than most would want to spend on it.

Bitcoin has a total maximum number which is 21 million bitcoins. Right now there are 16,902,232 bitcoins already in circulation.
Posted By: anthonyhicks101

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/06/18 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Allison1

Bitcoin has a total maximum number which is 21 million bitcoins. Right now there are 16,902,232 bitcoins already in circulation.

And lord knows how many of those got lost in forgotten wallets/hard drives.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/06/18 01:23 PM

Since I yesterday at 5:57, there has been another 143 bitcoins added to circulation.
Posted By: DavidWhatley

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/06/18 02:01 PM

Thanks Folks. I figured a few if y'all knew something about it.
Posted By: jeff.m

Re: BitCoin Mining? - 03/06/18 05:59 PM

You're too late to mine bitcoin in a normal home setting but there are other coins that you could still mine. Etherium comes to mind. You would still have to put out some cash up front - there are plenty of online calculators that help you understand how long it would take to return your investment. Like this.

With one or two video cards you're probably better off joining a mining pool with something like NemosMiner - basically you work with a group of miners and split the profits. This is organized through various websites - Mining Pool Hub is probably the most common one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum