Texas Fishing Forum

Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat!

Posted By: Okie Poke

Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 11:35 AM

Wow is all I can say! I bought a brand new '17 Ford Explorer in Aug, 2016. I took the car in last week after our Christmas vaca in NM because of terrible traction. All tires registered 4/32" tread and at 3/32", the car will not pass inspections. The car has 18,360mi....REALLY??? So, I bought a new set of tires. That's my record for not getting mileage out of new car mfg tires. Before it was 29,000mi and I thought that was bad. THESE TIRES WERE HANKOOK. NEVER AGAIN, HANKOOK. There's something awfully fishy about new car mfg tires.... realmad
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 11:50 AM

I got a company truck in 2014 a 2015 model, 1st set of tires lasted 80,000.Not too bad. They were Coopers.Just got a new truck. It came with BF Goodrich.... we will see.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 11:53 AM

My truck came with hankook. Worst tires I've ever had.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 11:56 AM

I have goodyears with about 16k on them. They won't last to 20k.

I had better luck with BF Goodrich long trail but hey...truck came with goodyears.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 12:18 PM

My original Michelin LTX on my Dodge lasted for 89k. Second set went 80k.

They last longer but had less grab when it was wet.
Posted By: Bonehead1

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 12:29 PM

Pretty sure all the car manufacturers cut special deals with tire manufacturer. The tires that come with the vehicle may a known brand and look right but they made cheaper in some way than the same version purchased retail
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 12:29 PM

My 2016 dodge truck has right at 50k on it. I'd say I can get get 60, maybe 65k which is good enough for me. I think they are Firestones.
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Bonehead1
Pretty sure all the car manufacturers cut special deals with tire manufacturer. The tires that come with the vehicle may a known brand and look right but they made cheaper in some way than the same version purchased retail

Probably true based on what a manager at Discount Tire told me. I bought a new GM product in 2013 with Michelin tires. Started having issues at about 40-45K. DT told me they were special tires made just for that vehicle and there had been lots of problems so Michelin and GM were replacing them. They prorated the new tires, and gave me a nice Visa gift card. Bottom line - I got a new set of Michelins for about $40/tire.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 01:38 PM

HANKOOK sucks. Hands down the worst tire ever. I had four blow out flats in two years and replaced with BFG G2 A/T's and fixed the problem bang peep
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Dognot
I got a company truck in 2014 a 2015 model, 1st set of tires lasted 80,000.Not too bad. They were Coopers.Just got a new truck. It came with BF Goodrich.... we will see.

I bought a Tundra in 2013. 1st set of tires made it to 70,000 miles before replacing. They were B F Goodrich. I was amazed, never had tires on a new truck last so long.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 01:42 PM

Hancock is a nice guy not sure why we are all slamming him here.
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 01:48 PM

I got 65k out of the Goodyear that came on my 2009 Chevy crew cab. I bought the same tires when I replaced them and am now at 130k and have a lot of tread left. They are 20 tires too.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 01:51 PM

The tires they are putting on most new vehicles these days are turrble.
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 02:02 PM

Ive noticed this throughout the years, for some reason I believe the tires sit and rott somewhere before installation
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: JayC41
I got 65k out of the Goodyear that came on my 2009 Chevy crew cab. I bought the same tires when I replaced them and am now at 130k and have a lot of tread left. They are 20 tires too.

I just replaced my BFGs at around 62k. Coulda gone longer but it was time to go ahead replace. Not my usual experience. I am not a fan of the tires on most new vehicles. They wear faster on most.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 02:10 PM

I've always felt that the tires that come with a brand new vehicle are a lesser quality tire and don't last as long. I'm talking about the factory tire. Not tires that might come with an wheel upgrade or some other kind of upgrade. I've also purchased the same brand tire that came with the vehicle and the set that I purchased lasted longer than the factory tire. I've mentioned this to various tire shops and all of them agree that factory tires do not last as long - even if they are the same brand.

I've purchased 6 vehicles over the past 10 years. 2 cars, 1 van, 2 trucks & a large SUV. So my experience is not based off of just one vehicle or one type of tire.

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 02:36 PM

When I got my Kia the tires were bald in under 20k miles.

The guy at Discount told me unless youre buying a sports car or paying for some sort of upgrade on the tires and wheels most new cars come with low grade tires and need to be replaced with 20-25k miles.

For whatever that is worth.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 02:40 PM

I'll have to see what's on my wife's Explorer. Bought it late 2014, but she just hit 22K miles and no tire issues yet.
Posted By: Mark C

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 02:45 PM

Goodyear Wranglers that came on my 2013 Ram were shot at 20K.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 03:04 PM

My wifes ford came with 60k mile warranty tires. They currently have 76,000 miles on them and will be replaced probably around 80k and still have plenty left before they wont pass inspection.(continental tires)

My truck had 30 or 40k tires on it from the factory. They currently have 41,000 miles on them and are nowhere near needing replacement.(goodyear tires)

Rotate your tires, keep them property inflated, and don't peel out at every stop sign/light.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark C
Goodyear Wranglers that came on my 2013 Ram were shot at 20K.

Lol I got 41,000 on mine going strong and just pulled a 7000 lb tt a couple hundred miles with it.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 03:07 PM

My Dad's '11 F150 came with Goodyear Wranglers that were toast before 20k. My '13 F150 came with Michenlin LTX's that still have some tread left today at 96k. I'll be replacing them due to dry rot more than tread wear in the next month or so. Not sure why my model had Michelins; others had Pirelli, Goodyear, Firestone, etc.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 03:07 PM

So, let me get this straight...You all are proposing that a tire company is purposefully making an inferior product that has their brand name and tire name on it to put on new cars so you have to buy an "upgraded" set of tires in 20k miles? Someone explain to me how that makes any sense to them.
Posted By: Trickster

My son has the same issue on a Mustang. Less than 16k and they look like crud.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
Hancock is a nice guy not sure why we are all slamming him here.

Damn right. lizard
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: swalker9513
So, let me get this straight...You all are proposing that a tire company is purposefully making an inferior product that has their brand name and tire name on it to put on new cars so you have to buy an "upgraded" set of tires in 20k miles? Someone explain to me how that makes any sense to them.

They sell a [censored]-ton more tires?
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
My 2016 dodge truck has right at 50k on it. I'd say I can get get 60, maybe 65k which is good enough for me. I think they are Firestones.
My 2016 RAM has 26k on it with factory tires. They're about halfway worn, so maybe 40k-50k on them before replacing?

I've been very happy with my truck. Had one steering wheel keypad replaced under warranty and other than that it's a towing and gas mileage machine that's incredibly comfortable and well-designed.

ETA: Honda has gone downhill in this matter. My wife's 2004 Civic had BF Goodrich's that we got 90k on. My wife's 2010 CR-V had some cheap ones (can't even remember what), and we had to replace them at 24k. After the experience with that vehicle, I probably won't ever buy another Honda anyway.

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

IDK the "why" around this. The tires that came with my Kia were not a big name brand so that explains my deal.

All I know is they were totally bald in 20k miles. Replaced them with Yokohama's and they still look brand new after 40k.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Allison1

Same here on the dodge tires, lasted forever.. I think Michelins as they age get so dang "hard" you just can't wear them out. They were 10 ply on a 2500, I ran 4 sets of the michelins on it, accrued 242,434 miles on those. Not a bad average, I put a cheap set of italian tires on it to sell it... Continentals I thought were decent tires, that's what came on my wife's 2016 Acura MDX.. Awful, like pokes, wore out afte 20k went with Bridgestone.... Great tires so far, very happy. They are expensive like the Michelins, I don't care, I want her to be safe...
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 05:59 PM

Had a '89 S-10 Blazer that came off the assembly line with Uniroyals that were rated at 30-35K miles. Barely lasted 20K. Put some Sears tires rated at 35K and they lasted almost 50K.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 06:13 PM

Fun Fact

Phillips Petroleum was instrumental in research for synthetic rubber for tires.
They had to reject one of the first Cis-4 formulas because the tires would have
outlasted the vehicles.

Mo
Posted By: Bonehead1

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 06:44 PM

Simple, it's standard big boldness these days. Company A needs tires and they go out for bids demanding all kinds of discounts, some maybe totally unreasonable. If the tire supplier wants the job, no choice but to cut their sale price which forces some sort of compromise in making the tire..
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 06:58 PM

The tires delivered on a vehicle meet the required specification put forth by the vehicle manufacturer, who has an interest in saving money by equipping the vehicle with a serviceable but economical (cost) tire.

Just as when you shop for tires, you can look at treadwear, temperature rating, etc. and arrive at multiple products that fit a "good/better/best" rating, the vehicle manufacturers go through the process and decide on specs for a tire that is "good enough" for the vehicle. They then provide this specification to suppliers who bid a tire/price to them. So while the tire isn't intentionally "defective" it can certainly be "inferior" in that it is not on par with the best that can be had in the open market.

A little tidbit: If you buy a $60k vehicle, guess what? It doesn't typically come with the same (lower) grade of tire as that little $15,000 economy commuter car. There's more $ to work with on the higher value vehicle, so they typically have a bit better tire when delivered. Some auto makers are worse than others on pinching when it comes to equipped tire quality, as some of you may have noted in personal experience.
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Allison1

Yes, those are good tires. Should be for the price.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 07:23 PM

Did you have them underinflated?
Posted By: Rudy Cortinas

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 07:50 PM

Their products are not inferior,just not the top grade,my daughter has a 2014 Fusion w/27k miles that will not pass inspection,I did a lil price shopping,the same replacement tire at Sams, Goodyear LS set of 4 was $592.20 no warranty.Sams had a Goodyear Eagle set of 4 $801.01 50k warranty
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: BassFever
Did you have them underinflated?

No. Always between 33-35 PSI, depending on fluctuation of temps. Car recommended 32lbs, and we always rotated right on time.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 08:52 PM

All I know is I just bought a new z71 Tahoe and the tires absolutely suck!!!!!

I cant wait to wear them out and put good tires on the thing. I give em 1 15k max.

In the snow last week in Colorado it was insane how bad they were. Never had that issue with my Michelin tires.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 09:12 PM

Heck...I'm in the car biz and have always heard that when the car companies go out for bids on the tires, the tire companies are competing on cost. To get the bid they change the formula on the tires. The first set of factory OEM tires will never get the miles that the 2nd set will get, whether bought at a tire store or the car dealer.

I've explained this to customers for years and I assumed it was common knowledge.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 10:17 PM

Its just getting significantly worse. I also get the feeling that the people inspecting and servicing your vehicle are doing a better job of noting tread depth.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 10:28 PM

I bought a Tacoma in 2010 equipped with Dunlop tires. I looked on Tire Rack for ratings after a couple of flats, and they are one of the worse rated tires going. I bought a Jeep in '15 equipped with the notorious Good Year Stranglers. Having learned my lesson, I made the dealer swap them out before I closed the deal.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 11:18 PM

Bought a brand new 2001 Toy Camry with Bridgestones and they had to be replaced by 17K. I called the factory and local distributors and raised heck with them but got no kind of proration. I but tires for 5 vehicles and we drive lots of miles (because we live in BFE). I've never even considered a Bridgestone since then. That's probably 15 sets of tires or more.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: RayBob
Bought a brand new 2001 Toy Camry with Bridgestones and they had to be replaced by 17K. I called the factory and local distributors and raised heck with them but got no kind of proration. I but tires for 5 vehicles and we drive lots of miles (because we live in BFE). I've never even considered a Bridgestone since then. That's probably 15 sets of tires or more.

Someone told me that Bridgestone and Firestone is basically the same tire.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/08/18 11:25 PM

Michelins on current Ford truck. Almost 60.000 and still looking good. Always consider tire brand when looking at new trucks.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster
Originally Posted By: RayBob

Someone told me that Bridgestone and Firestone is basically the same tire.
I put Bridgestone on my old Town Car in 2014 and they rode better than the Michelins...I had 30,000 on them when the car was traded and they looked new. They were rated for either 80,000 or 90,000 miles.

I put some Coopers on my old Ranger around 1998... within 10,000 miles the tread separated on both front tires. I'm guessing it was just a fluke. I've never had anything like that before or since.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 12:30 AM

The Arizonian I think is the name of Discount's tire. Never had good luck, or long treadlife with those. Put them on 3 vehicles within a week's span...won't do that again.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 08:09 AM

Mine are badarse.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 09:52 AM

If you buy a 60 thousand mile tire and have a flat at 30 thousand miles,
they say the tire is too worn to fix,
you have to buy new ones.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 12:49 PM

The F350 crew trucks we got this year came with Goodyear Kevlar all terrains, and they are pure junk. We have been getting 25k to 30k miles. I had them replaced with the Michelin LTX that usually gets us 65k 75k miles. I guess Ford quit sending Michelins out of the factory on 18 wheels to cheapen the cost. My wifes Expedition came with Goodyear tires and they lasted 40k miles. The Michelin Defenders we replaced them with now have 50k miles and a lot of tread left. Goodyear, Firestone and Hankook are all tires I have no faith in.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 01:19 PM

I would like for that meat boiler txfour to weigh in. Hes supposed to be a rubber chemist. I see one measure of quality here, which is lasting a long time. To me, I have seen some tires last a long time, but they were as hard as a rock, and had poor traction.

Maybe its just me, but I think traction is a pretty important thing to consider also. Meat boiler man, where are you?

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 03:15 PM

So you think they would sell MORE tires by providing an inferior product. That seems like quite a gamble.

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
The tires delivered on a vehicle meet the required specification put forth by the vehicle manufacturer, who has an interest in saving money by equipping the vehicle with a serviceable but economical (cost) tire.

Just as when you shop for tires, you can look at treadwear, temperature rating, etc. and arrive at multiple products that fit a "good/better/best" rating, the vehicle manufacturers go through the process and decide on specs for a tire that is "good enough" for the vehicle. They then provide this specification to suppliers who bid a tire/price to them. So while the tire isn't intentionally "defective" it can certainly be "inferior" in that it is not on par with the best that can be had in the open market.

A little tidbit: If you buy a $60k vehicle, guess what? It doesn't typically come with the same (lower) grade of tire as that little $15,000 economy commuter car. There's more $ to work with on the higher value vehicle, so they typically have a bit better tire when delivered. Some auto makers are worse than others on pinching when it comes to equipped tire quality, as some of you may have noted in personal experience.

Correct. The CAR company is spec-ing the tire they want, probably going to be a cheap one, with limited mileage warranty. The tire company didn't screw you. The car company bought a cheaper tire.

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 03:41 PM

So you think they would sell MORE tires by providing an inferior product. That seems like quite a gamble.

Yes, and you agree, based on your reply above to Flipping-Out.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 06:39 PM

My Tundra came with BFG ATs. Only reason I bought the model I did. I remember a time when manufacturers put decent ATs on 4x4s. Not so any more. You get the same carppy street tires or some poor excuse for an AT.
Posted By: steven gillock

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 07:44 PM

Heres the explanation I got from my sisters ex (who ran a local dealership)---
The tires put on new vehicles have a softer rubber for a better,smoother ride (which explains
why when you replace them the wife start talking about looking for a new vehicle smile
By the way this is the only truthful thing he ever told me about dealerships.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 10:25 PM

I dont know what my sons 2010 Tahoe had on it when it was new but he put on 84k before getting new tires. Never in my life did I get that kind of mileage.
Posted By: JavelinJ

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: steven gillock
Heres the explanation I got from my sisters ex (who ran a local dealership)---
The tires put on new vehicles have a softer rubber for a better,smoother ride (which explains
why when you replace them the wife start talking about looking for a new vehicle smile
By the way this is the only truthful thing he ever told me about dealerships.

A softer compound would be more expensive due to a lower carbon black loading and have a more polymer rich formula....and car manufacturers don't like expensive.

It's really simple.

Car manufacturers bid out their tires for each and every model and even trim level. Go look at a work truck and then a fully loaded Denali. Two totally different tires. The higher trim level in any model will always have better tires.

Here's your top brands:
Michelin
BF Goodrich (Michelin value line)
Continental
Firestone
Goodyear (other than Kevlar, they suck worse than Wranglers)
Yokohama
Bridgestone (Firestone value line)

It gets worse real quick when you start getting into the Hankook, Toyo, Nitto, Khumo stuff.

Now the above is for trucks. It changes a bit when you consider car tires. Brands like Pirelli comes into play.

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/09/18 11:23 PM

What do you mean it gets worse for Hankook, Toyo, etc?
Posted By: JavelinJ

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/10/18 03:36 AM

We call them "china bombs". Been mixing, developing, testing, selling rubber for 25 years.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/10/18 10:55 AM

I go Michelin on all my personal vehicles. They cost a tad more, but the payback is outstanding in value
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/10/18 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: DagBill
Ive noticed this throughout the years, for some reason I believe the tires sit and rott somewhere before installation

This^^^^^ I had a flat on my year old boat trailer and location of the nail was in a place not able to repair. Day tried to find this particular tire and found out they weren't manufactured for two years prior.

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/10/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: txfour

We call them "china bombs". Been mixing, developing, testing, selling rubber for 25 years.

Gotcha.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/10/18 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
I go Michelin on all my personal vehicles. They cost a tad more, but the payback is outstanding in value
Michelins are great street tires but even their ATs are a street tire. I need more tread for the places I go.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Tires that come on your new cars isn't worth a chit------------chat! - 01/10/18 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: txfour

^^
eeks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum