Texas Fishing Forum

buying new truck is PITA

Posted By: TexasMo

buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 09:43 PM

Been working with some Ford Dealers and looking at the new trucks.. besides the cost... just trying to get them to tell much how much will they sale the truck for is such a PITA....

Plus I can't believe trucks only come with 3/36 warranty...

rant over...
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasMo
Been working with some Ford Dealers and looking at the new trucks.. besides the cost... just trying to get them to tell much how much will they sale the truck for is such a PITA....

rant over...

get the internet price. It's as low as they are willing to go.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 09:46 PM

Trucks are getting expensive.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 09:53 PM

Walk in, pull out check book and ask them how much should you make it out for. I promise they will give you an amount
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 09:55 PM

Good time to buy a 2017. Just find the truck you want on the Internet and get online quotes from dealers.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

rant over...

yea.. this is what I am learning
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 10:00 PM

There should be some really good deals on the 2017's out there.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

rant over...

yea.. this is what I am learning

You never know. I paid less on my 2017 F250. Its still worth haggling.

Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 10:03 PM

Check out Zeigler Ford for an ext warranty quote. They were much cheaper than what my local dealer was pricing out when I was buying my wifes car. I showed them the quote and after about 20 minutes of researching to make sure the quote was legit they finally matched the price.

http://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld

I thought the same ting.. man they ain't budging on one of them
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 10:08 PM

Call Monte Coon
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 10:09 PM

Go around Dec 30 they'll budge
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 10:09 PM

you shopping for a 150 or 250?

i would agree with the earlier poster though, for you especially, get the internet price. If i had to try and sell you a truck, the price would go up every minute your ugly mug was in the dealership roflmao

Posted By: redchevy

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 10:17 PM

Man this stuff goes around in cycles, first every thing was $100 over invoice, then it was invoice pricing, its internet pricing. Any number they spring to right off the bat isn't their bottom dollar. You want the best deal find multiple dealers and haggle with each a little then pit them against each other. That's the only way you will know you did your best.

You want it easier than that you better know someone.
Posted By: MBarger

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 10:26 PM

Looked at a F350 2017 while I was waiting on my company SUV to get oil changed. Asked salesman what would be OTD bottom dollar price. Was quoted $62K with TTL. No Trade in. This was a Lariat Ultimate SRW, 4WD, with gooseneck hitch installed. Looked when I got home and their internet price was $70K, so yeah they will budge. Thinking about pulling the trigger if he wants to get down in the 55K range.
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Man this stuff goes around in cycles, first every thing was $100 over invoice, then it was invoice pricing, its internet pricing. Any number they spring to right off the bat isn't their bottom dollar. You want the best deal find multiple dealers and haggle with each a little then pit them against each other. That's the only way you will know you did your best.

You want it easier than that you better know someone.

Thats what my brother does and gets an amazing deal every time. Im the end each dealer is calling begging.
Posted By: cocodrie

Get quotes from volume dealers. Planet Ford or Mac Haik in Houston, Covert Ford in Austin. All move a ton of trucks at low pricing and it's usually posted online. Buy or compare to those guys. I'm sure there are a few in DFW as well. Covert had GMC Yukon at 10k off MSRP a while back, no one would even get close.
Posted By: Canino

Ask if there's a discount for bringing in cans they can recycle into body parts.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 10:38 PM

Go to said dealer, go find the truck you want. Write the stock # on said truck on your business card. Write down on the business card the bottom dollar you are willing to pay and hand it to a sales rep. Tell them if they can meet the number call me. If they can not do not call me. Give them 12 hours. I am headed to the next dealership.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 10:54 PM

Post what you're looking for and I bet we can find you the right truck.
Posted By: Drodge

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 11:07 PM

3 year 36k. What a joke! Pretty sure every other brand out there has better warranty than that. Screw a ford.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: cocodrie

2018 Platinum f150 with v8

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Ted Martin

you shopping for a 150 or 250?

i would agree with the earlier poster though, for you especially, get the internet price. If i had to try and sell you a truck, the price would go up every minute your ugly mug was in the dealership roflmao

hey.. its dark out.. I am not that ugly when it is dark...
Posted By: K.D.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 11:43 PM

If I had your money I'd pay sticker, tell the sales guy Merry Christmas and be on my way. I'd write it off as charity and convenience.
Posted By: Frenzy

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/07/17 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Drodge
3 year 36k. What a joke! Pretty sure every other brand out there has better warranty than that. Screw a ford.

Thats bumper to bumper...the powertrain is 5yrs/60k. Pretty standard really.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 12:49 AM

3/36 bumper to bumper is pretty standard. Powertrain is 5/100 on Ram. I do not know what Toyota and GM do. But with folks paying $30k, $40k, and up for these pickups, a 100k powertrain warranty is the minimum they should be including. But the free market is the free market, and folks haven't stopped buying them for substandard warranties.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
3/36 bumper to bumper is pretty standard. Powertrain is 5/100 on Ram. I do not know what Toyota and GM do. But with folks paying $30k, $40k, and up for these pickups, a 100k powertrain warranty is the minimum they should be including. But the free market is the free market, and folks haven't stopped buying them for substandard warranties.

That's not quite accurate. Ram is 5/100 on diesels only. 5/60 on gasoline powertrains
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 01:22 AM

With a Ford I haven't needed warranty inside of 100k miles anyway. Just drive the thing and get another at ~185k.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker

With a Ford I haven't needed warranty inside of 100k miles anyway. Just drive the thing and get another at ~185k.

This.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker

With a ford I needed a warranty inside of 10k miles and they tried their best not to honor it.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.

That's not quite accurate. Ram is 5/100 on diesels only. 5/60 on gasoline powertrains
Did not know that. My Ecodiesel is 5/100, so I assumed all trucks were.

Weird.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 03:10 AM

Weird.
ram has to sweeten the pot so people buy them.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 03:52 AM

2018 Platinum f150 with v8

Get the ecoboost especially if you tow. It makes the 5.0 feel like a slug. Not saying the 5.0 is a bad motor by any means I just think the only reason Ford still offers it is because lots of old timers refuse to think a v-6 turbo belongs in a truck. Also almost all dealer order their high end models (King Ranch and Platinum) with the ecoboost because that's what sells. You may get lucky finding one but may end up having to get a dealer to order one on their next allocation for you.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 01:16 PM

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 01:25 PM

Weird.
ram has to sweeten the pot so people buy them.
They can't keep the EDs on the lot, and I don't know of the last time I heard of a Hemi breaking down. But I think they all make good trucks nowadays.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 01:35 PM

What transmission does Ram put in the Eco diesel.

I had two transmissions go out in my Dodges.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 01:47 PM

Go to a dealership and find the truck you want. Write down the stock #

Now go home and use the Internet and phone to compare prices.

Make sure you call Vernon Auto Group.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: BassFever

8-speed auto. Haven't heard of any issues with it.

I think it's a decent upgrade from the 6-speed they put in their base model trucks. Mine shifts really smoothly and tows my boat and travel trailer really well. Gas mileage is just silly.

OP - I can't understand how you can't get someone to give you a price on a truck. That seems insane.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 02:18 PM

Get quotes from volume dealers.

^^^^ This as well as:

- Call a different dealership everyday. Call places that are out of your area. Don't be afraid to look out of state.

The last vehicle I purchased (Dec. 2016) I purchased a 1-way plane ticket to the DFW, bought the vehicle and drove back to San Antonio for much much cheaper than anyone else in this town or nearby.

- Every time you get a lower price, call all the others on your list and tell them. When you get one that says "we can't go that low" scratch them off.

- Ask for the buyers worksheet when you get their price. This allows you to scratch off all of the BS things they add into the pricing as well as the dealer add-ins.

BS fees like the title filing fee - usually $200 or more they will tell you they can't take it off. So just take off another $250 from the base price.

Tint - you didn't put that on the windows and it may not be the shade you want.
Leather seat treatment - you can do that on your own.
$250 wheel locks, $400 pin strip down the side of the truck, spray in bed liner, $300 floor matts, etc. etc. etc. These are the BS fees you want to be sure to eliminate.

- Ask about what dealer vehicles they have available. These vehicles can have as much as 15k or more miles on them because they are the vehicles that someone has drove as their everyday vehicle for the past 6 - 10 months. They'll tell you that it's a "new vehicle" because it's never been titled, but you can usually use that mileage and stains on the carpet to get the price down.

The only other tip I have is to not be picky (at least in front of the sales guys). The more specific you are as to what you want to buy, the less incentive they have to come down on the price. If you're willing to take a vehicle that is not necessarily the color you want or the color seat you want, you can usually work your self into a good buy. This allows the dealership to move a vehicle that has been on the lot.

Time is on your side right now. These lots do not want 2017 vehicles on their lots come Jan. 1.
Buying a vehicle is a PITA and dealerships make it that way.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: BassFever

They use and outsourced ZF 8-speed on the ecodiesel and some of the hemi's its a solid transmission. Few problems, good longevity, smooth, but expensive if you break one.
Posted By: TR176

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 02:49 PM

820799 Ford pickups were sold in 2016. Apparently people are getting price quotes someplace.
Posted By: ksjmf

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 03:30 PM

Time is on your side right now. These lots do not want 2017 vehicles on their lots come Jan. 1.

What happens on Jan 1.?

and i agree with the ecoboost suggestion. at least test drive one.
Posted By: donothin

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 04:49 PM

Take 20% off list and write a checkfor that amount and give it to the salesman. He probably wont take it, and will make a counter offer. Tell him you want your check back so you can go somewhere else. He will make a better counter offer, but still not be as good as your 20% under. Probably can get it for 18% under if you are patient.
Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 04:51 PM

Call me and I can hook you up with someone at a dealer that wont eff you around.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 05:11 PM

Guys - he's looking at a 2018. Discounts are going to be hard to come by with 2017s on the lot.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 05:52 PM

If only the truck buying process was like the TFF - OT How to Get a Job process. The dealer would give you the truck for half price, you can drive it for a year, and if nothing breaks and there are no issues, you get to pay full price for the truck. Otherwise, just return the truck, no big deal.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 05:58 PM

If only the truck buying process was like the TFF - OT How to Get a Job process. The dealer would give you the truck for half price, you can drive it for a year, and if nothing breaks and there are no issues, you get to pay full price for the truck. Otherwise, just return the truck, no big deal.

Im pretty sure you just revolutionized the auto sales industry.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 06:04 PM

would give you the truck for half price, you can drive it for a year, and if nothing breaks and there are no issues, you get to pay full price for the truck. Otherwise, just return the truck, no big deal.

Wish I'd tried a deal like that with my father-in-law when I got married. wink
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 06:06 PM

find the truck you want and tell them how much will give them for it. that's how it works. on 2017's I would offer 20% off sticker and you will probably get it..........

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: JayC41

I won't take credit for this, JayQ41. The brainpower behind this newfound dealer model belongs to the genius TFF member - hopalong.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 06:19 PM

rant over...
I never have a problem with the sales people on the price of the new one. I always go in with a price that I am willing to pay. If I am trading there is always more haggling over the trade value for me. Finance is where I always have the problems. When I bought my second Tacoma I could not tell the finance guy no loud enough on the extended warranty. I even turned around and let him talk to my back for a while. Finally he tried to play the payment game and offered a lower interest rate. I said fine give me the rate and no warranty. I ended up having to get the sales director involved. When I bought my Tundra in August the guy that handled the prelim paper work tried to add $599. Whne I askled what it was for he said free oil changes for 100k. I told him that I do my own. When I went the next day to finalize the first dude out. The new one tried to add on $599. When I told him that finance guy #1 and I had been through this already and he said it was for oil changes. Finance dude said "no is something we charge everybody". I said not me you can have your keys back. Not sure how true this is but I have heard that finance people in dealerships do not have a finance background. I heard that they were former top performing sales people. This came from someone that worked at a dealer.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: JayC41

I won't take credit for this, JayQ41. The brainpower behind this newfound dealer model belongs to the genius TFF member - hopalong.

I remember the original post but you are the one who molded it into this thought that will revolutionize the auto sales industry. The official name will be The Non New Great Depression for the Auto Sales Industry.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 06:26 PM

Any NEW truck that has been on the lot over 30 days, they will most likely give you $2000 over cost if you continue to haggle.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 06:27 PM

Tundras have the same but of course you do not need a warranty with a Tundra unlike Ford. Problem with the Ford is it will start coming apart just over 36,000
Posted By: BassFever

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 06:48 PM

If you build and sold trucks, would you want them to last 100,000 miles? I think not.
Posted By: soggybottom

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 06:58 PM

the reason dealers dont throw there lowest price out there is because buyers dont care how much the new truck costs. They only care about they one they have, so the dealer has to keep some money in his back pocket no matter WHAT the buyer says. I have seen it over and over from people that say they know about the "difference" which is the only number that matters. They dont. Its like politics. I dont care what you tell people they will defend their guy to the death. Same with trucks. "My truck is super clean and the book says this"!!! BS book.
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/08/17 11:35 PM

Pita. Pity?
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: grandpa75672
Pita. Pity?

Good morning.
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: grandpa75672
Pita. Pity?
yes, first world problem.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: bloo_rainger
find the truck you want and tell them how much will give them for it. that's how it works. on 2017's I would offer 20% off sticker and you will probably get it..........

Lmao
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 03:22 AM

Price on the window? No? Move on
Don't want to pay it? Move on...simple.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 03:23 AM

I love you guys, but holy [censored] yall are out of touch on this stuff.

Cut the games out and the dealer will cut right to the chase.

If you want a new f250 king ranch and want 20% off your living in a wonderland.

If you want 20% off a Honda Accord your living in a wonderland

There are big discounts on the base models . Its easy to haggle on a charger or a LT Silverado 2x4.

If you need a deal, just call me. Ill hook you up with a dealer that will make it go quick.
Posted By: TR176

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Brian Spagnola
Originally Posted By: bloo_rainger

Lmao

This also works with heart surgery.

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 04:13 AM

I got 17% off sticker on my F150 last year. popcorn

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 04:24 AM

This deal was a bit over 18%

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 05:58 AM

I got 26% off my Ram 1500 Lone Star back in July of 2016.

Your best bet to know what you should pay for a new vehicle is True Car. Go on there and it will give you a target price. Those are usually pretty decent numbers to aim for.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Smurfs
Any NEW truck that has been on the lot over 30 days, they will most likely give you $2000 over cost if you continue to haggle.

Most dealers keep a 75 day supply on hand and floor plan interest don't kick in until 90 days. That aside they would love to sell for 2k over cost. It would actually be a profit increase for most.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Canino
Ask if there's a discount for bringing in cans they can recycle into body parts.

roflmao Hey, I just bought my 2017 F150 Lariat in April. eeks

You can go to the Ford site and build your truck online. That will give you a pretty good idea of the msrp price. Start from there to see what you want and what you don't. Find out if the company you work for and Ford have corporate discounts. But even having this, the dealer isn't going to take a loss, they can't. Try for some incentives i.e. Ford truck month stuff, if you get with fleet sales, they will often let you see the real dealer invoice. Then figure adding on $600 to $1000 over that. (maybe more today). Remember it is no more expensive to order one from Ford with everything you want. That is what I did for my last 2 new trucks. Don't settle for what the Dealer thinks every Texan wants.
Posted By: glenls

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 02:09 PM

Just bought 2 new 2017's this past fall. Knocked $10,000 off stickers and told them this is it. Bought both. One Ford F250 and Wife's Lincoln. Have always used the $10,000 off on the last 10 or 12 vehicles. Always worked. I change them out every 3 years. They have these things marked way up. Always buy in the fall on the current year model. They are trying to dump them as the new year is coming in. My 2cents
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: glenls
Just bought 2 new 2017's this past fall. Knocked $10,000 off stickers and told them this is it. Bought both. One Ford F250 and Wife's Lincoln. Have always used the $10,000 off on the last 10 or 12 vehicles. Always worked. I change them out every 3 years. They have these things marked way up. Always buy in the fall on the current year model. They are trying to dump them as the new year is coming in. My 2cents

Im guessing thats in the 20% off range that I quoted earlier...
Posted By: fouzman

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 02:36 PM

Just buy a Chevy from Monte or Tony at Moritz. Problem solved.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: buying new truck is PITA - 12/09/17 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Just buy a Chevy from Monte or Tony at Moritz. Problem solved.

Best advice
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum