Texas Fishing Forum

I know this has probably....

Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

I know this has probably.... - 10/07/17 03:41 PM

been asked a million times.

What is the best battery for my kayak to run my graph from. I have a Helix 9 SI GPS combo on a Hobie PA 12'.

I have been using the small 12v deer feeder battery and it will last all day just not for long and then I have to get another one about every other month....

There has to be something better right? I'm not wanting to take on a full size deep cycle marine battery.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/07/17 06:58 PM

I use a 15 ah Interstate AGM battery. Not cheap, but it'll do what you need it to.
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/07/17 08:52 PM

I just got a 10mh Lithium battery yesterday. But I haven’t got to try it yet. It’s very small and lightweight.
NOCQUA
The link is to Austin Kayak, but Mariners Sails in Dallas has them for a lot cheaper!
Posted By: Addicted_2-Fishin

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/08/17 06:27 PM

I have the nocqua 10ah battery and it powers my hds 7 G2 touch for 17 hours. It's the size of a large apple, waterproof and weighs about a pound. You won't find a better battery.
Posted By: pelican

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/08/17 10:04 PM

I'm running a 30 amp Hr LiFePo4 (Lithium), problem solved.

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/09/17 05:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I went with the nocqua 10ah battery.

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/09/17 11:04 AM

Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

After you get it installed and have a chance to run it, would you mind letting me know how long one charge last?
I’ll be using mine for the first time this weekend.

PS. Are you still selling fish finders? I bought a 998 from you many years ago!

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/09/17 07:53 PM

Is your unit a MEGA?
Posted By: Todd™

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/09/17 09:33 PM

I hate to say it but you probably just wasted your money. You'll kill that battery too.

Most people just want to hear "I use the BENFORD 2000 and it works great" but they don't realize that guy is using a FF that draws .4-.7 amps and yours draws 1.0 amps so you won't get the same run time and will kill the battery by trying to go 10 hours on it. Getting the "CORRECT" size battery and not running below 80% will greatly increase the life out of them.

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/09/17 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd™
I hate to say it but you probably just wasted your money. You'll kill that battery too.

Most people just want to hear "I use the BENFORD 2000 and it works great" but they don't realize that guy is using a FF that draws .4-.7 amps and yours draws 1.0 amps so you won't get the same run time and will kill the battery by trying to go 10 hours on it. Getting the "CORRECT" size battery and not running below 80% will greatly increase the life out of them.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/09/17 09:57 PM

Todd did I make a mistake getting the battery I got?

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/10/17 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: pelican
Is your unit a MEGA?

No Gen1 Helix on the Yak.

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/10/17 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell

After you get it installed and have a chance to run it, would you mind letting me know how long one charge last?
I’ll be using mine for the first time this weekend.

PS. Are you still selling fish finders? I bought a 998 from you many years ago!

Yes I am still selling electronics....

Posted By: Bass fro chop

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/10/17 04:20 AM

Good to see u yakin. U gave me ur old Toro a few years back.
Posted By: Dicster

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/10/17 08:42 AM

Interested in this topic, how do you determine the correct size?

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/10/17 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Dicster

You need to total your total load (amp draw) and how many hours you want to run.

Amp Load x run time x 1.5. This will get you in the ball park. Always over size your batt by at least 50%.

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/10/17 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: pelican
Originally Posted By: Dicster

You need to total your total load (amp draw) and how many hours you want to run.

Amp Load x run time x 1.5. This will get you in the ball park. Always over size your batt by at least 50%.

This^ It would be great if they could put a sticky post on this subject in the rigging section.

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/10/17 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell

Todd did I make a mistake getting the battery I got?

It appears too small also. Yours appears to be rated at .8 amp draw. That's probably max and will run slightly lower but that's the number I use. A good lithium battery setup will have a safety shut off to keep it from dropping below critical voltage. Yours probably has one so I don't think you will get many hours out of it before it shuts down. Not an entire tournament day.

Re: I know this has probably.... - 10/10/17 02:42 PM

You could buy another one and wire them parallel to double the amp hour.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum