Texas Fishing Forum

In the market for a Fish Finder?

Posted By: Shaun Russell

In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/14/17 12:57 PM

So I'm doing some research for my next FF and came across this site that does reviews. I thought I would share with ya'll.

http://fishfindersadvisor.com/
Posted By: CCTX

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/14/17 01:33 PM

thumb Let us know what you decide. Selfishly, I hope you choose something with Autochart Live so you can tell us more about it.

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/14/17 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
thumb Let us know what you decide. Selfishly, I hope you choose something with Autochart Live so you can tell us more about it.

LOL...WOW...That's so wild that so say that! That's the main selling point I'm looking for
I'm leaning hard towards the Humminbird Helix 5 CHIRP SI Sonar/GPS Combo G2

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/14/17 02:26 PM

That's the one I'm lusting over also

Don't know if I can wait for the next product cycle.

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/14/17 03:16 PM

The best deal I've found so far is $486. I'm sure it will have to wait till after Christmas. That or I'll have to start winning some tourneys smile
Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/14/17 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell

LOL...WOW...That's so wild that so say that! That's the main selling point I'm looking for
I'm leaning hard towards the Humminbird Helix 5 CHIRP SI Sonar/GPS Combo G2
cct i use autochart and it works great! I can find humps that dont show up on nav or lm and overlay them onto the factory map. Helix 5 doesnt come with the program so you have to buy the program and the zero lines for around $200 or get atleast a helix 9 which comes pre loaded with autochart.
Posted By: RealBigReel

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/14/17 04:13 PM

Just purchased the Humminbird Helix 5 G2 SI/GPS Combo. For the lakes I fish the Navionics maps are much superior. i.e for Proctor Navionics has 1 ft resolution, Lakemaster is 3 ft. Slightly better than useless.
Screen resolution is excellent.
Have not tried Autochart Live yet.
If I had it to do over again, I would probably have gone for the Helix 7. The Helix units are low profile and fit under my legs.

The thing about about side imaging is that the transducer has to be below the boat. So if you don't build you own kayaks that might be tricky.

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/14/17 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Buckshotbuddy
[/quote] cct i use autochart and it works great! I can find humps that dont show up on nav or lm and overlay them onto the factory map. Helix 5 doesnt come with the program so you have to buy the program and the zero lines for around $200 or get atleast a helix 9 which comes pre loaded with autochart.

Does the G2 (second generation version) of the Helix 5 come with Autocharts Live?

If it does, would all you have to purchase is a zero lines card?

Other than the obvious screen size difference, does the Helix 7 G2 come with two SD card slots and the Helix 5 G2 come with only one?
Oooops, both the 7 and the 5 only have one microSD card slot.

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/14/17 05:30 PM

Best transducer shield I've seen for side imaging transducers (originally designed for the Hobie PA)

Berley Pro

Posted By: RealBigReel

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/14/17 06:15 PM

cct i use autochart and it works great! I can find humps that dont show up on nav or lm and overlay them onto the factory map. Helix 5 doesnt come with the program so you have to buy the program and the zero lines for around $200 or get atleast a helix 9 which comes pre loaded with autochart.

Does the G2 (second generation version) of the Helix 5 come with Autocharts Live?

Other than the obvious screen size difference, does the Helix 7 G2 come with two SD card slots and the Helix 5 G2 come with only one?

[/quote]
Zero line cards are only required for saving data. The unit will store several hours data without the Zero line card.

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/14/17 11:16 PM

[/quote]
It says in the review that as long as it's a G-2 it does have Autochart live.

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/15/17 02:27 AM

This will be fun to do also. I've done it before with limited success with my Lowrance, SAS planet, and Insight map creator (With Humminbird, I was hoping all you'd need was Humminbird PC, but the video suggests you have to purchase the Autochart live pro program for full functionality)

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/15/17 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by collincountytx
This will be fun to do also. I've done it before with limited success with my Lowrance, SAS planet, and Insight map creator (With Humminbird, I was hoping all you'd need was Humminbird PC, but the video suggests you have to purchase the Autochart live pro program for full functionality)

Very cool..technology is getting better for the fishermen. I wish Santa clause would hurry up!!! smile
Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/15/17 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: RealBigReel

Zero line cards are only required for saving data. The unit will store several hours data without the Zero line card.[/quote]
I think its only the helix 9 and up that has it built in and all you need is the zero lines once you install autochart. The unit does NOT store hours of info , i heard it did , tried it and was prompted that it will start erasing previous scans so i had to go out and buy zero lines which ended up being worth the money

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/15/17 01:30 PM

Quote:

Zero line cards are only required for saving data. The unit will store several hours data without the Zero line card.
I think its only the helix 9 and up that has it built in and all you need is the zero lines once you install autochart. The unit does NOT store hours of info , i heard it did , tried it and was prompted that it will start erasing previous scans so i had to go out and buy zero lines which ended up being worth the money

The (G-2) Helix5 and up has Autochart I believe if I read right. It only stores like 8 hrs without the "Zero Line" card.

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/15/17 01:39 PM

I just went and read this about the Helix 5.....
"AutoChart Live gives you the possibility to map any body of water yourself, using GPS and 2D sonar data, and reveal the lake’s or reservoir contours. With a given LakeMaster or Navionics card chip, you can record up to 8 hours of mapping data on your control unit. However, you can also purchase a Zero Lines chip for basically unlimited mapping."

So now I'm wondering if a "LakeMaster or Navionics card chip" is required to run Autochart?

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/15/17 04:57 PM

It's not required.

Wayne P is the Humminbird guru, and I asked him a similar question.

My understanding:
All units come with a base map (uni map) with coastal/lake outlines.
LakeMaster, Navionics, Humminbird PC, and Autochart create overlays on top of the base map independent of each other.

The first 8 hours of Autochart recording can be saved to the unit's hard drive. Subsequent hours will either over write or if you put in a zero lines card, they will record to the zero lines card.

My question was, since the Helix 5 (and 7) only comes with one card slot, can you have both the Autochart overlay and the Navionics or LakeMaster overlay at the same time.

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/15/17 06:23 PM

My question was, since the Helix 5 (and 7) only comes with one card slot, can you have both the Autochart overlay and the Navionics or LakeMaster overlay at the same time.

That's a very good question?

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/15/17 06:26 PM

Oh, to add to the confusion I just called BPS in Grapevine. He said the 5 and 7 do have the ability BUT you had to by a card that they require to run it on.. this is getting silly. Does anyone know someone that for sure knows frown.

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/15/17 06:59 PM

Ok....... I just spoke to a friend that actually has the Helix 5 CHIRP SI Sonar/GPS Combo G2 unit.
It does come with Autochart live. He said when he got it he took it out played with the function making maps of a unmapped area.
Now as the stock unit sits it will only record 8 hrs. So that where the ZeroLines map card comes in. The ZeroLines map card is just a storage card that will hold maps.

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/15/17 07:02 PM

Yes, I sent you a PM that clarifies some things.

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/15/17 07:07 PM

The answer to my question is yes, but only for 8 hours of recorded data.

If you are running with the Lake Master chip inserted, you will see the Lake Master overlay on top of the Unimap.

If you then turn on autochart live with the Lake Master chip inserted, you will see the autochart live recordings for up to 8 hours in addition to the Lake Master chip data. Those 8 hours will be recorded to the unit's hard drive.

Now, lets say you want to record 100 hours of sonar data and save all 100 hours--you need the zero lines card.

So basically, if you are mapping lots of small (uncharted waters), you would use your zero lines card when you go to those waters.

If you are going to a large, charted lake, you would take your LakeMaster chip and record up to 8 hours of autochart live. Suppose you could take both chips with you if you wanted to record more than 8 hours on a charted lake and save the data for later---but changing out microSD cards in 30 feet of water is something I'd rather not be doing smile

This is the big advantage of the larger units (Helix 9 and up I believe have two card slots)

One work around with only one card slot would be to download the recorded sonar data on the hard drive every 8 hours to a zero lines card. Then on your home PC, you upload the data to the Autochart Live Pro program. The autochart live pro program then becomes the main storage registry, which you copy to the zero lines card. The problem with one card slot will always be to whether to bring your LakeMaster chip or the zero lines card or both.

Re: In the market for a Fish Finder? - 09/15/17 07:41 PM

Great explanation! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum