Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone kayaked Hubbard creek reservoir?

Posted By: wh2004

Anyone kayaked Hubbard creek reservoir? - 07/01/17 08:38 PM

Any tips for catfish or crappie?

Re: Anyone kayaked Hubbard creek reservoir? - 07/04/17 01:02 AM

So I've found that this is one of the hardest lakes to find kayak fishing information on.

We went hoping to find crappie, but knew it would be tough without a fish finder.

Saturday and early Sunday we basically got skunked deep into Hubbard creek (3 small bass and one drum).
Last night though we fished near bottom with minnows along the dam and caught 8 bass, 2 sandies, a channel cat, and one crappie about 14 inches. So fun trip but not exactly what we hoped for.

Growing up we used to fish lost creek and tear up the cats and crappie but that was dead winter and it was about a 5 mile paddle one way and my wife wasn't down for that in the wind.

Re: Anyone kayaked Hubbard creek reservoir? - 07/04/17 10:11 AM

Also got broke off twice on my UL rig so I'll be swapping to braid on those.
Posted By: metanium

Re: Anyone kayaked Hubbard creek reservoir? - 07/04/17 02:26 PM

I used to fish under the bridges on my trips out to Lubbock, when I was in college. Never kayaked it, but caught several largemouth & sand bass. Good luck to you, that lake has always looked good.
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Anyone kayaked Hubbard creek reservoir? - 07/04/17 04:55 PM

I grew up there. Mostly fish it in my boat or with my dad and not my yak. For crappie right now there are some docks by village inn area. May see if they will let you launch there. Wouldn't be a bad paddle. Dam always hold some kind of fish. Use to catch channel cats there in that cove at the dam where the ramp is. Peelers area may be good for cats if it has any runoff current. Lots of grass by goat island area but that is s pretty good paddle in open water. If it's windy she gets rough not to mention summer traffic. We were there Sat and caught 10-12 bass nothing big.

Re: Anyone kayaked Hubbard creek reservoir? - 07/18/17 09:47 PM

Went to the dam again Saturday evening and caught 18 keeper sand bass and a few drum and small cats.
Monday morning we started off at the bridge for about an hour but no bites so we went back to the dam and caught 4 or 5 sand bass, 2 crappie, and 5 catfish before the bite turned off around 1230.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum