Texas Fishing Forum

Diy outrigger questions.

Posted By: Longliner

Diy outrigger questions. - 06/26/17 08:21 PM

I've seen most diy outriggers placed behind the fisherman but does it really matter where they're placed. A little forward or aft of cntr of the yak wouldn't seem to make much difference.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Diy outrigger questions. - 06/26/17 08:30 PM

If most of your fishing is forward or to the side, behind makes sense. Might also have to do with where the greatest weight in the kayak is.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Diy outrigger questions. - 06/26/17 08:53 PM

They will work mounted anywhere on the sides but you don't want them in the way when fishing.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Diy outrigger questions. - 06/27/17 03:22 AM

The most important thing is to place them where they won't be in the way of your paddling. I recently put two flush-mount rod holders on the gunwales of my Pescador 12, much like the Viking yaks have. I was careful to put them far forward enough so my forward paddle strokes didn't hit my rods. If I put outriggers on my yak, they would have to be pretty far aft, to clear the back of my paddle stroke.

I was paddling once, and Fil Spencer(kayak guide) came past me and said "Take long strokes!" I started doing that, and soon, I caught up to him! You need to keep your paddle stroke areas open to long strokes, and you'll make more distance per stroke, and not tire out as fast.

Island Jim, resident Old Fart
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum