Texas Fishing Forum

Beginner Kayak

Posted By: coachmatt

Beginner Kayak - 05/31/17 05:47 PM

What is a good non-expensive kayak for someone who is just getting started?
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Beginner Kayak - 05/31/17 06:04 PM

You need to define "non-expensive". Budget kayaks will start around $300 but have a limited weight capacity. A rule of thumb is to not load more than 70% of the stated weight capacity (your weight plus seat plus all gear). Factor in a good paddle and PFD. How will you transport it? How will you store it? Sit-on-top or sit-inside preferred?

Check the kayaks for sale here, on craigslist, and Texas kayaking web sites.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Beginner Kayak - 05/31/17 06:09 PM

For sure dont forget the price for a good paddle.

Makes a huge difference.

My friend got started in a $250 Wal Mart yak years ago. He pimped it out. Had 360 fish finders, he added dry storage, rod holders, lights, added an anchor trolley etc. etc. I mean he really tricked it out.

After a few years of that he got a Hobie PA. He had learned how he liked it layed out, how to make all those mods and do the add ons on that cheap yak so he was confident cutting up the PA to make it his dream ride.

Thats one route you could go.
Posted By: C.M.

Re: Beginner Kayak - 06/01/17 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: coachmatt
What is a good non-expensive kayak for someone who is just getting started?

Perception Pescador 12' (secondhand) $250-$450 (typically comes with paddle and pfd). Basic paddle ($40), pfd ($20), basic fish finder ($50). Good fish finder $500 (Dragonfly) -- you need it only for crappies, tbh.
Posted By: lostinthewoods

Re: Beginner Kayak - 06/01/17 02:13 AM

Brand new Pescador was $399 at Academy in NRH this weekend.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Beginner Kayak - 06/01/17 03:20 PM

Ascend is a good "starter" brand. They're at Bass Pro Shops. Check out the AKO page in my signature for info on them from consumers.

They aren't perfect, but they are good beginner kayaks indeed.
Posted By: DustyHartOutdoors

Re: Beginner Kayak - 06/01/17 05:55 PM

Sale ends this coming Saturday June 3rd. These are completely set up and come with everything but electronics. The only thing I would factor in with this model is an upgraded seat and you will need at least 2 scupper plug because they put 2 scupper holes right under the seat.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/fie...ufsgltlnstkypsk
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum