Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak seat

Posted By: RealBigReel

Kayak seat - 05/20/17 05:41 PM

I have been working on this idea for some time. Started building the frame before I knew what fabric I was going to use.
I wanted something like the Hobie seat, but the Hobie seat is kinda expensive and it wouldn't fit in my kayak anyway. Even the Hobie fabric kit alone is kinda expensive.
This frame is mostly Western Red Cedar. The PVC is both structural and functional as rod holders, vertical and horizontal trolling.
I found an Ozark Trail camp chair at Walmart that looked like the fabric that I wanted. So I bought it and trashed the frame.
So I finished this frame this morning and then started stapling (stainless Steel staples) the fabric to the frame. Had to cut fabric a couple spots to make it go around the corners. Seared the cuts with a soldering iron but I will also sealed it up with super glue.
The frame alone weighs just over 6 lbs. About 6.5 lbs with fabric.

Might have been lighter made out of PVC.

Seat holds me (160 lbs) about 1 inch above the base. Should be good airflow to keep me dry and prevent "monkey butt".

This seat will go in my kayak STRIPER2.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Kayak seat - 05/20/17 06:31 PM

You can even extend those seat ends and convert them to "rocket launcher" type rod holders! thumb

Re: Kayak seat - 05/20/17 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
You can even extend those seat ends and convert them to "rocket launcher" type rod holders! thumb

That is exactly what they are for as is. You can either put a rod in vertically or you troll with the rod straight out.

Re: Kayak seat - 05/23/17 06:07 PM

Picture with rods.

Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Kayak seat - 05/24/17 12:00 AM

:~• now that's a nice DIY seat right thera!
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: Kayak seat - 05/24/17 08:40 PM

I really like the fact that you built it yourself! Great job!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum