Texas Fishing Forum

Floatation device

Posted By: smileyman

Floatation device - 03/08/17 03:23 AM

Do you use a life vest while fishing on your kayak ? If so which one ?
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Floatation device - 03/08/17 10:40 AM

Yes. Always. Going without one isnt very smart. With all the boat traffic, underwater obstructions etc. I currently use the nrs chinook im thinking of swiching to kokitat or stoloquist. Do yourself a favor and every time you get in your yak put one on. It will mostlikley will be the only thing that saves your life in an emergency.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Floatation device - 03/08/17 12:14 PM

Every single time. I'm happy with a basic $60 Cabela's PFD. It doesn't restrict my paddling and has pockets where I want them.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Floatation device - 03/08/17 12:34 PM

I just recently bought a Stohlquist Fisherman High Back PFD from Austin Kayak for $99 on sale. I believe it is still available though it has been a few weeks now.

The difference is like night and day from the cheaper generics. First, it has compartments to hold things, clips to hang things on. Second, it fits like a piece of clothes where the straps allow you to customize the fit. Third, and as it turns out a pretty big deal for me, it has a high rise in the back area leaving the portion of your back that comes in contact with the kayak seat . . . clear.

The increase in comfort is large. I feel as though I am not wearing anything. My arms and shoulders are completely open to working a rod and reel.

$60 versus $99? This is one where paying just a bit more gets you multiples of return.

Brad
Posted By: BayouFennec

Re: Floatation device - 03/08/17 12:49 PM

i wear the NRS Chinook. it was a little over $100. i fish alone a lot so i wanted something i didn't mind wearing all the time. the Chinook works great, i don't mind it and it's made for kayak fishing
Posted By: Searsay

Re: Floatation device - 03/08/17 03:46 PM

so I use a standard "sport" life jacket with neoprene exterior. It can be worn all day with or without shirt and not chafe.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Floatation device - 03/08/17 07:24 PM

I use an inflatable from Academy.
I believe it is totally dumb to go on the water without wearing alife support.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Floatation device - 03/09/17 12:10 AM

And, isn't it odd how political it is?

One has to wear a seat belt in a car else get ticketed, used to have to wear a helmet for motorcycles until that law was repealed so now you don't, and you have to have flotation devices on a boat . . . but no requirement to wear one.

Our well-tuned bureaucracies at work doing what they do best: making nonsense out of common sense.

Brad
Posted By: BKT

Re: Floatation device - 03/09/17 12:18 AM

The NRS Chinook has been working well for me the last couple of years.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Floatation device - 03/09/17 12:45 AM

Look at the Astral and NRS whitewater PFDs at the NRS website. I have a Patagonia whitewater PFD but they shut down production and pulled out of the market years ago.
Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: Floatation device - 03/09/17 02:21 AM

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-T...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: passinthru

Re: Floatation device - 03/09/17 02:40 AM

Yep, every time. Pretty basic one from bass pro. You have to carry it anyway, might as well expose it to the possibility of saving your life.
Posted By: smileyman

Re: Floatation device - 03/09/17 02:49 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the PFD's , I am new to Kayak / fishing and defiantly want to be safe on the water !
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Floatation device - 03/09/17 10:10 AM

Safe it good. Pfd should be like shoes...always on. A few other things to learn is a few basic self rescue maneuvers. Deep water reentry etc. The more you know the better off you are. Now go get some monster fish.
Posted By: Jbaugh

Re: Floatation device - 03/17/17 12:12 AM

Anyone know where I would sell these? My deceased Father-in-laws. He has had them since my wife was a little girl, and she is 35 now. They were used up until he died unexpectedly. 2 we are trying to sell

Posted By: Fishing i will go

Re: Floatation device - 03/18/17 05:25 PM

Fly fishing guys and pond like this stuff.In fact they catch a bunch of fish from these.
Posted By: jimmytimmy87

Re: Floatation device - 03/20/17 01:17 AM

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/814/Stohlquist-Fisherman-High-Back-Life-Jacket-PFD.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping:%20ACK%20PLA&scid=scplp814_2740_1&sc_intid=814_2740_1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2LjGBRDYm9jj5JSxiJcBEiQAwKWAC1G31B3UmM9ldYP6hy5SEVBdUwMf96bA_6nLxYHyPSEaAtd38P8HAQ
It is such a great vest that I wear it even sometimes when I am bank fishing just because the storage is great on it. All of what he is saying is fact. I have had mine for over a year and love it.
Originally Posted By: Brad R
I just recently bought a Stohlquist Fisherman High Back PFD from Austin Kayak for $99 on sale. I believe it is still available though it has been a few weeks now.

The difference is like night and day from the cheaper generics. First, it has compartments to hold things, clips to hang things on. Second, it fits like a piece of clothes where the straps allow you to customize the fit. Third, and as it turns out a pretty big deal for me, it has a high rise in the back area leaving the portion of your back that comes in contact with the kayak seat . . . clear.

The increase in comfort is large. I feel as though I am not wearing anything. My arms and shoulders are completely open to working a rod and reel.

$60 versus $99? This is one where paying just a bit more gets you multiples of return.

Brad
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Floatation device - 03/24/17 11:26 PM

Another vote for the NRS Chinook.Lot's of comfort...lots of pockets. I also use an inflatable like the one in my signature.
Posted By: Jbaugh

Re: Floatation device - 03/28/17 12:26 PM

Sold
Both
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum