Texas Fishing Forum

Screen Size on Your Depth Finder?

Posted By: ben_beyer

Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/18/16 01:11 AM

I have a Humminbird Piranhamax 160 that I bought several years ago and I recently bought a kayak. I have been using the Humminbird on kayaks that I would rent but now that I own, I'm thinking of upgrading.

I'm looking at 5" and 7" screen depth finders and I'm curious what everyone else is using.

I like the size of the 7" but I'm a bit worried it might be too big or not needed.
Posted By: RBDavis3591

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/18/16 01:53 AM

Cannot say whether it is needed or not but I use a Helix 5 SI on my kayak and with my old eyes I would go with the largest screen I could afford. Once I get home and replay the recording on my computer I see all sorts of things that I missed on the water.
Posted By: BKT

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/18/16 11:32 PM

I have a Helix 5 SI mounted on it now but would love to move on up to a 7".
Posted By: lostinthewoods

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/20/16 05:32 AM

I have a Lowrance Elite 4 and it works great, but I'll be getting a 5" or 7" for my next one. Hard to see much if you split screen.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/20/16 12:02 PM

If you have bad eyes go for bigger. If you are close, like in a kayak, then the big screen is not needed as you can get real close to view images. The bigger screen lets you make out fish and structure easier. Nothing wrong with small it's just that we get old and our eyes are not the same.
Posted By: pelican

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/20/16 12:12 PM

Get the biggest screen that will fit your kayak and your budget. Don't forget that generally a bigger FF requires a larger capacity battery. If your a Bird guy check out the newest generation Helix.
Posted By: C.M.

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/21/16 01:22 AM

(Assuming manufacturer did everything right) higher resolution screen is better -- gives you more details. Looks for resolution, not size (though they usually go hand in hand).
Posted By: ben_beyer

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/21/16 03:28 AM

I bought a Raymarine Dragonfly 7 today.

I've been doing some research and it came down to between that one and a Humminbird Helix 7. Nothing wrong with the Helix for sure but I think the Dragonfly will fit my needs for what I am wanting to do.
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/25/16 09:52 AM

I disagree with some of the comments about limiting screen size because you are on a kayak. Buy the best graph with the biggest screen and the highest resolution that you afford. You will never regret the purchase.

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/26/16 11:10 AM

I disagree as the "yak" has limited area and space and the larger units can get in the way at times. Being a minimalist is always better in a yak. One dunk with a flip over and you can kiss that $1000 unit goodbye! Spend the big bucks if you have them but be forewarned.
Posted By: RBDavis3591

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/26/16 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: kickingback
I disagree as the "yak" has limited area and space and the larger units can get in the way at times. Being a minimalist is always better in a yak. One dunk with a flip over and you can kiss that $1000 unit goodbye! Spend the big bucks if you have them but be forewarned.
From the Humminbird web site:
Quote:
Humminbird products typically have an IP (Ingress Protection Rating) rating of IPX7. If a product is not IPX7, it will be indicated as such in the product specification section of that model in the Product section of our web site.

This is a tested and rated measurement that indicates the degree of of protection provided against the intrusion of dust, accidental contact and water. Equipment having this rating must be able to withstand submersion in water to a maximum depth of one meter for 30 minutes.

While I do not intend to test their claim Humminbird units, if used correctly, will not stop working in a flip over.

The maximum size of the unit depends on the size of the kayak. I have a Helix 5 on my kayak and where I have it installed increasing the size of the unit would not impact my fishing or paddling.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/26/16 05:34 PM

Much depends on how you fish. In deep water you generally want a larger unit with all the features. In skinny water you are often just looking for depth, temperature, and bottom composition; there a smaller unit will suffice. I generally fish very shallow water and don't use it at all while fishing, but it does show me the location of channels and other structure on the way to and from my fishing areas, and that info can be handy at times. Decide based on YOUR needs, not everyone else's.

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/27/16 02:12 AM

Today's units will not be bothered at all if you turtle your kayak unless it's not properly secured to your kayak.
I'm running a HB 999 in my Native FX Propel and have plenty of room. The Side Image feature in these units are great in shallow water 2' and deeper. I very seldom look at Sonar or Down Image unless I'm in 15' and deeper water due to the small foot print of the sonar cone in shallow water.
Like Jim said, it all depends on how you fish and your needs.
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 12/27/16 03:52 AM

You can be a minimalist if you want, don't assume we all take that approach. Also, your yak may have limited area but mine has more room than I need and my big fish finder has never been in the way.

That's the beauty of kayaking, different strokes for different folks. Tight lines my friend.
Posted By: Michael Ray

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 01/02/17 07:12 PM

Lowrance HDS 7 Touch but will be upgrading to a 9 this spring.
Posted By: C.M.

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 01/03/17 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: ben_beyer
I bought a Raymarine Dragonfly 7 today.

I've been doing some research and it came down to between that one and a Humminbird Helix 7. Nothing wrong with the Helix for sure but I think the Dragonfly will fit my needs for what I am wanting to do.

Good call. Their down imaging is the best (for that price range) and once you find your structure -- there is very little need for Helix'es side imaging.
Posted By: Bug-e

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 01/04/17 04:06 PM

I have a Mark 4 DSI. My next sonar will have the biggest screen I can afford. Luckily relatively new used larger used units are getting cheaper as bass boat guys upgrade to latest units. I think I'm going that route.

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 01/06/17 12:01 PM

While you're looking for structure with DI & Sonar I'll be catching, also DI & Sonar have Big limitations in shallow water. With that said, I know a guy that only has DI & Sonar and he catches more fish than anyone else I know, I hope he never get SI.

Re: Screen Size on Your Depth Finder? - 01/08/17 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: RBDavis3591
From the Humminbird web site:
Quote:
Humminbird products typically have an IP (Ingress Protection Rating) rating of IPX7. If a product is not IPX7, it will be indicated as such in the product specification section of that model in the Product section of our web site.

This is a tested and rated measurement that indicates the degree of of protection provided against the intrusion of dust, accidental contact and water. Equipment having this rating must be able to withstand submersion in water to a maximum depth of one meter for 30 minutes.

While I do not intend to test their claim Humminbird units, if used correctly, will not stop working in a flip over.

The maximum size of the unit depends on the size of the kayak. I have a Helix 5 on my kayak and where I have it installed increasing the size of the unit would not impact my fishing or paddling.

I'm talking saltwater and those little doors for your cards are not always sealed. Salt makes the difference.
Go ahead. Your dollar.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum