Texas Fishing Forum

Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak

Posted By: SharkBaitTV

Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 11/28/16 07:20 PM

This was the first 7 foot alligator gar i hooked during 2016 from Malibu Mini-X kayak but wasn't the last, to be completely honest i got my butt kicked and was totally outmatched.
I have been sitting on this footage for a while and never showed it to anyone. Its truly humbling to hook something as big as your vessel in freshwater.
i have yet to catch a alligator gar over 7 foot from my kayak but its one the goals i was going for during 2016 and since it didn't happen i will focus on it until it happens during 2017.
Alligator gar are the largest freshwater predatory fish in the US they have been on the planet for 147 million years since the beginning of the cretaceous period and they are one of my favorite fish that i believe deserves the utmost protection so they can continue to thrive for another 100 million years.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 11/28/16 09:24 PM

147 million years? How does anyone come to that number?
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 11/28/16 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Linecaster
147 million years? How does anyone come to that number?

Carbon dating .... and just look at that thing, you can tell it's been around for at least that long.

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 11/28/16 09:45 PM

How do you carbon date a live animal? How is carbon dateing proven?

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 11/28/16 09:49 PM

How do you carbon date a live animal? How is carbon dateing proven?

Are we talking about that particular fish ? If so your right, he's not 147 million years old.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 11/29/16 02:00 AM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alligator_gar

I can't even imagine trying to catch an alligator gar that big in a kayak. You crazy man lol!
Posted By: YAKUPFISHING!

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 11/29/16 05:42 AM

That was F***ing awesome! The hell with what linecaster said! That was a bucket list cach right there son! What river was that? The trinity?

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 11/29/16 11:55 AM

yah trinity river,
for future reference the oldest gar on record was 86 years old. this species has been on the planet since the beginning of the cretaceous period which started 147 million years ago.
i managed 4 gar over 6 foot from the kayak this year and had half a dozen chances at monster gar over 7 foot from the kayak without making it happen [img]https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=58B81750[/img]
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 11/29/16 08:23 PM

That's gotta be a HUGE FISH
Awesome
thumb

Linecaster, why u trying to turn this into a young earth debate? Come on man.. These fish are ancient you can at least admit that..

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 11/29/16 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: kdub#1
Awesome
thumb

Linecaster, why u trying to turn this into a young earth debate? Come on man.. These fish are ancient you can at least admit that..

Did the statement need to be made about how long this fish has been on this planet. It's certainly taking a long time to evolve.
Granted it is a sizable fish and cudos for catching it. End of argument.

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/01/16 12:28 PM

i can post whatever i want, how i want, and when i want, if i want to post nothing but the history of this fish on the planet i will do so.

i have a serious interest in the living dinosaur fish that are still on the planet, gar, arapaima, sturgeon, bowfin, paddlefish, sawfish ect. how long they been on the planet and when they emerged onto the scene is important to me.
it seems like you want to have some spiritual debate that I'm not interested in having.

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/01/16 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: kdub#1
Awesome
thumb

Did the statement need to be made about how long this fish has been on this planet. It's certainly taking a long time to evolve.
Granted it is a sizable fish and cudos for catching it. End of argument.

His statement of how long the fish has been on this earth offends you ???? hmmm

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/01/16 03:20 PM

Yep!!

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/01/16 03:21 PM

why ...?

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/01/16 06:50 PM

Read my signature.

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/01/16 06:56 PM

look I'm not religious, I'm not an aethiest, I'm not a Cristian or anything humans have thought to call themselves.
if you are, I'm more than happy for you. I'm happy you have the freedom to make the decisions you feel positively effect your life.

there is this awesome thing on social media something people have forgotten, and thats scrolling passed what upsets you instead of trying to get in a fight with anyone who does not agree with you 100%

i suggest you address why someone having their own personal beliefs upsets you

cheers

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/01/16 08:26 PM

This is a fishing website,your post included something that is ridiculous in my opinion. Maybe you should apply the last paragraph to yourself. Do not bother to reply as it would not help.I am done.

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/01/16 08:29 PM

Tyrannosaurus rex lived in forested river valleys in North America during the late Cretaceous period. It became extinct about 65 million years ago in the Cretaceous-Tertiary mass extinction.

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/01/16 10:39 PM

"Do not bother to reply as it would not help.I am done." does that work in your adult life?

going to try to say this a different way, if i were gay and you had a problem with that it would be your insecurities that you had a problem with not anything that i had done.

if you were comfortable in your religion you would not worry about what other people believe. you would have the self worth to know that your are living your truth and have the tolerance for others to do the same.

personally find it a little upsetting my post has been derailed so badly.

cheers
Posted By: Pecros

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/04/16 03:15 AM

This is a fishing website,your post included something that is ridiculous in my opinion. Maybe you should apply the last paragraph to yourself. Do not bother to reply as it would not help.I am done.

This is a fishing website. Your signature includes something that is ridiculous in many people's opinions.

You see how that works?

Most educated people agree that the Earth is over 4 billion years old. If you don't agree, just tell the guy "nice video" and move along.

If you are so certain in your beliefs, you should have nothing to be offended about.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/04/16 08:41 AM

SB, nice catch!

Linecaster, I'm not sold on the billions either. But, I'm not bothered on a spiritual level @ all. Why then? Because, imo it's just an educated guess made w/limited knowledge. No one knows how many years our earth truly is much less what exactly was here & or wasn't IMO. Did u catch what i typed? "IMO"

I do find it all fascinating though...

...& comical at times...

Not all people believe everything they were taught in school, read in books or the net. Your threads getting viewed more as a result of your video comment. I see your thread took a lil detour. Still not sure its been derailed. Your dating statement is pretty bold. & what's with the dogpile guys? Mentioning the earth's age by the millions or billions of years will cause any half wit to wonder about a lot of things unrelated to u. Once out there, people will have thoughts & opinions. I personally wouldn't b offended by any of them in this particular case.

To get back on the main topic:

SB, Do u catch them during the Winter months too? R u still guiding?

coffee

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/04/16 03:30 PM

I'm done for a few months, they can be caught on the right days in saltwater or very close to it, but my main push to catch as many as i could this year is over, they would not give you a very sporting fight right now anyway, pretty much a slow swimming log when hooked.

i will be renewing my guide license in 2017, and may go for a saltwater license as well so i can target the gar near the coast legally.

guiding for me is a means to an end my real goal is the protection of alligator gar, i would rather be doing more conservation based work with the species either with TPWD or privately funded to be completely honest.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Lost Footage Dinosaur Alligator Gar Vs Kayak - 12/04/16 07:05 PM

I'd like to see them protected by someone as passionate about them as u. Don't know anyone that could assist u or Id personally put the word in for ya. If there is anything u think I might be b able to help with please let me know. Keep doin what u r doin. Good things will happen I'm sure. ;-)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum