Texas Fishing Forum

Cold Weather Clothing

Posted By: karaider00

Cold Weather Clothing - 11/22/16 05:20 PM

What do yall wear when it starts getting colder. Dry suit? Waders? Thanks
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/22/16 06:13 PM

Try some breathable wading pants with neoprene booties.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/22/16 06:53 PM

Texas is pretty mild and I have often started out cold then after being out on the water, start warming up where I begin shedding a layer or two.

But, for me, there are three areas I am most concerned about: feet, hands and head.

I think keeping the core warm is pretty easy but I pay special attention to the other three. Good gloves, shoes and socks, and good head cover. For my body, I often just wear sweats under proppers for my pants, an undershirt/shirt/coat.

Waders really do work well for the feet for me.

Staying dry is never more important than in cold weather.

Brad
Posted By: Searsay

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/22/16 09:41 PM

So here is how I approach it
A) you WILL get wet... and you WILL turtle at some point - have a change of clothes available somewhere. Agree with the above though - staying as dry as you can is critical... but impossible to stay entirely dry smile
B) Know how to get back in your kayak... possibly practice it in your cold weather gear.
C) when/where possible - kayak/fish w/ a buddy... it can be the difference for both of you in many situations.

1) Base Layer - Wool/Llama/artificials that stay warm even when wet - socks, underwear (long if its really cold, undershirt if it's really cold)
2) Mid Layer - Artificials that shed water or stay warm - Pants, shirt
3) Top Layer - gloves (i actually use bike gloves), ski jacket (w/ side vents & gortex shell - i LOVE those side vents for paddling - cools me off nicely on a long paddle), lightweight waders, Hat of choice, ear muffs.
4) Misc - I actually use my life jacket as additional insulation - usually i wear it under my ski jacket.

Good quality gloves do WONDERS to how you feel - and the right jacket can make a big difference as well. I personally love the side/under-arm vents as they give me a way to regulate the insulation easily w/o having to take the jacket off.

Dry suit is probably overkill down here in Texas... but i could totally see using it if i was kayaking up on any body of water that actually can ice over during the winter.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/22/16 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Tallgrass05
Try some breathable wading pants with neoprene booties.

This^^^ and a hoodie.

Add some long johns and a jacket for the really cold days.
Posted By: YAKnIT

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/23/16 03:58 PM

I don't do waders in the winter, unless I'm on the river where I get out and wade frequently. On the lakes, I really don't want a set of waders that will fill with water if you flip. I also don't wear any cotton at all. If you flip and get wet it's like wearing a freezer.

Here's my normal outfit.
wool wader socks, cabelas brand. these are awesome when it gets real cold
neoprene boots
synthetic long underwear top and bottom
gore tax pants
fleece top
waterproof shell jacket
stocking cap
wool 1/2 finger gloves
PFD

If it's not as cold then I may not wear the jacket, may skip the stocking cap, may wear lighter socks, etc. I always wear the Gore-Tex pants to keep my legs dry and always wear the PFD. A dry change of clothes is also a great idea, along with a few of those chemical hand warmer packets.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/23/16 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: YAKnIT
I don't do waders in the winter, unless I'm on the river where I get out and wade frequently. On the lakes, I really don't want a set of waders that will fill with water if you flip. I also don't wear any cotton at all. If you flip and get wet it's like wearing a freezer.

Here's my normal outfit.
wool wader socks, cabelas brand. these are awesome when it gets real cold
neoprene boots
synthetic long underwear top and bottom
gore tax pants
fleece top
waterproof shell jacket
stocking cap
wool 1/2 finger gloves
PFD

If it's not as cold then I may not wear the jacket, may skip the stocking cap, may wear lighter socks, etc. I always wear the Gore-Tex pants to keep my legs dry and always wear the PFD. A dry change of clothes is also a great idea, along with a few of those chemical hand warmer packets.

Amen, it's bad how many people i see wearing waders on a kayak.. it can be a death sentence if you cant touch bottom and fall out.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/24/16 10:58 AM

Layers! The more the better. Jus be sure you can swim in them. I layer and use my Academy rain bibs on the outside and wear knee high boots and I only go where I know I will not turtle (marsh, drains, back bays). If you are heading to uncharted or unknown waters the neoprene waders and under laying will probably be better but remember that they will fill with water if you go in! At least with layers the clothes get wet but they do not hold in water (except the boots which I can take off if needed) like the waders will.
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/24/16 01:33 PM

If you're wearing waders be sure and wear a wading belt, if you fall in the waders won't fill up with water.

If you're wearing boots DO NOT wear rubber boots that can fill up with water. I fish from a float tube and a guy fishing in a Hobie near me went in. He had heavy clothing and rubber boots on and was lucky that I was near him to tow him to shore. His boots almost drug him under.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/25/16 07:25 AM

I hate the cold, but I don't let it keep me from fishing during the winter. If you want to be safe, bite the bullet and get the best gear you can afford. The prices keep coming down and if you don't mind buying used, very affordable. Staying warm on the water is one thing, staying warm in the water is something else entirely. Breathable waders will cling to your legs when you are in the water and will not allow much seepage with a wading belt. With the proper layering underneath you can stay warm throughout the coldest winter months. On the coldest days I'll throw a couple of heat packs down for my feet. I have a semi dry top that I've used for 10 years, the wrist and neck gaskets are no longer water tight but they will let very little water in and I'm not going to worry about cold shock right away if I do go for a swim. The biggest concern should be of getting Cold Water Shock.

A couple of good videos to show you how serious getting wet and cold can be.

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/25/16 04:24 PM

I fish from my Bass Hunter in winter.

I cant keep dry in my yak bcs I am just a sloppy paddler so I opt for the Hunter when waters under 60.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/25/16 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Connor S

Amen, it's bad how many people i see wearing waders on a kayak.. it can be a death sentence if you cant touch bottom and fall out.

This is just not true. I've been in the water in waders a few times, and it's not much different than swimming with pants and shoes on. I always wear waders in the winter because they keep me dry and comfortable.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/26/16 12:22 PM

Around Freeport, we don't have much of a winter. Sixty to Seventy degree days in the winter are pretty common. If it's sunny and sixty, I'm wearing shorts and maybe a light jacket or light pullover fleece for the early start when it's a little cooler. I fish barefoot mostly and paddle drip never seems to bother me. Paddle drip rolls off bare legs so it's not like you stay wet all the time.

Those days in the 40's and the water has cooled down, I put on breathable waders over some synthetic type warm up pants or underwear. Up top, it's a synthetic layer next to skin and maybe a jacket over that. Cold and windy, I like a stocking type hat. I don't like gloves much, so cold days I just deal with a little numbing of the fingers.

Below 40 degrees for high temperature days I'm looking for something else to do. There aren't too many of those on the coast anyways.

Clothes to avoid while kayaking especially in the winter are blue jeans and any cotton long underwear. Once they get wet from sweat or paddle drip, they are giant radiators of heat from the body. I don't like anything in neoprene either. Sweat gets trapped and you either boil in your own juice or freeze when you stop paddling.

I tend to paddle, cast, stand, fly fish and generally be on the move a bunch and all that generates a lot of heat. A lot of kayakers paddle to spot A, drop anchor and don't move around very much casting and the like. If that is you, then you might need to bundle up more than I do. Summer temperatures present more of a problem for my fishing style than the relatively mild winters we get her on the coast.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Cold Weather Clothing - 11/28/16 04:49 PM

Every year this comes up about waders. I have turtled in 43 degree fast moving water and I'm sure the waders helped save my life. When you hit cold water like that it takes your breath away. It took me a couple minutes to get to the shore and out of the water. My PFD and waders helped me float. When I got to shore and took them off I was about 50% dry. Being partially dry also helped me because it was in the 30's and I was a mile from my truck.

Remember playing in the pool with your friends and how light they felt in the water? Well water inside waders while under water is no heavier than the water outside your clothing. Full waders under water is like swimming with pants and shoes on. IT WILL NOT PULL YOU UNDER! Just make sure you ALWAYS where a PFD in cold weather.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum