Texas Fishing Forum

Gettin back in the groove

Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Gettin back in the groove - 11/13/16 12:09 PM

Loading up my yak here in just a bit and gonna go see if I can find a west texas catfish at alan henry. Probably gonna try drifting around the main channel ledges for the first time in awhile and hope for a decent bite!

Pics to come as well as a report

This is gonna be the first time I've put my yak in the water since August I think banana hammer
Posted By: OliverBassin

Re: Gettin back in the groove - 11/14/16 08:55 AM

Waiting for pictures food

Re: Gettin back in the groove - 11/14/16 10:09 AM

Well, ended up losing a lot of hooks, leaders, and sinkers as well as my anchor! And only one bite that I missed to show for it. Even tried drifting but the wind kept me blowing to much to do any good. Guess I need a bigger drift sock and new anchor!
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Gettin back in the groove - 11/14/16 11:16 AM

Hey TF,
U know AH is such a good lake because of all the timber. Points n smaller, not main channels should b good to get started. Heavy line with a good size reel (drag) will come in handy to horse those cats out n away from visible timber. Once they realize they got a hook in em they will dive right into it. U may also want to tie your kayak off at 2 points so it doesn't spin especially when your battling the big 1. Try vertical drop lines or an adjustable float rig instead of drifting. When fishing vertically u move or let the waives twitch your bait. Give it 10-15 min max, if they don't bite within that time be ready to move to another depth close by or other area. I don't know if u have sonar but most often, u Find the bait, u will Find the fish. Not sure u will b able to drift fish with wind on AH but in certain areas because of all the flooded timber. U may have to go on no wind days & move your bait with your paddle through the channels because they r not straight for long. Bass boats run the main channel WOT. For that reason fishing the main channel wouldn't b my 1st choice. I'll also suggest an adjustable float rig. U could also try some limb lining! Just b familiar with the laws if u do. Trot lining from a yak is a no no if u r anyone is thinking about trying it, Don't.

Re: Gettin back in the groove - 11/15/16 07:07 AM

Thanks for the tips fish zombie!! I was pretty upset with myself when I got there with my juglines... that I forgot had no weights on them because they had been broken off at PK. I'll have to give it another go sometime soon. The pointers were good help!

Re: Gettin back in the groove - 11/15/16 07:13 AM

Those limb lines sound like a dam good idea! There's ton of trees that stick out of the cliff walls near the main channel that I can dangle some live sunfish or cut bait under... hmmmm
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum