Texas Fishing Forum

How many rods do you take?

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 11:54 AM

My rig is set up to handle only 4 in its current configuration.

I want to add one more as 5 seems to be the magic number. I always feel like I have to make a cut and leave 1 behind.

But my buddy takes about 12 in his hobie PA 12.

How many do yall usually carry? I think more then 5 and I would be asking for trouble.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 12:27 PM

I usually carry 2 rods, a light spinning rig and a heavier spinning or baitcasting rig. Sometimes I'll take three rods but I think that makes me less productive.
Posted By: lostinthewoods

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 12:45 PM

Usually 2 or 3. 6' and 6'6" med spinner all the time, sometimes a 6'6" med hv bait caster or a 5'6" light spinner. Depends on where and what we're fishing for.
Posted By: RealBigReel

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 02:09 PM

5 usually.
1 baitcaster that I use to troll a Fat free Shad
2 large spinning outfits (Cabela's Salt Striker 65 Metal) for trolling with lure downrigger and either pets spoons or darting shad. Or set up for bait or balloon drift.
2 lighter spinning outfits for casting and jigging.
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 02:19 PM

I take 3 because that's how many rod holders I have. Lately, I've been bringing 3 spinning rigs because I'm still new to kayaking and I find it easier to use those over my baitcasters when I'm sitting. However, I'm getting comfortable with standing and fishing from the kayak in general so I'm going to start bringing at least 1 baitcaster.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 04:08 PM

2 baitcasters and 1 spinning rod
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 04:51 PM

loco
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 05:30 PM

All of the Dan.

I take all of them.

Nah really, normally 5. But lately I have been taking 3
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 05:36 PM

I only take 3. I have one for top water spooled with braid, one for cranking and one for worm/jig fishing. I've found that If I take more I'm not usually using them and they get int he way or add additional weight that I don't care for. I'm not lazy, I just don't want to take stuff that I'm not going to use. I could take 6-7 rods, but the few times that I have, most aren't touched. For me 3 is the right number but each person is different.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Tallgrass05
I usually carry 2 rods, a light spinning rig and a heavier spinning or baitcasting rig. Sometimes I'll take three rods but I think that makes me less productive.

ditto
Posted By: Ruffhouse

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeBass

ditto

x3
Posted By: Mkirby

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 08:46 PM

I take 5 to tournaments 1 w/Texas rig, 1 w/crank, 1 w/swim/jig, 1 w/top water, and 1 w/either sinner bait or what ever. the what ever is my one and only spin reel (not my fav) and the rest are all 7-7 1/2 rods with bait casters. just going out I take usually take 3. I don't want to spend my time tying and retying so I usually have a game plan set and take and tie on what im going to use before I ever launch.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

loco

Looks like a porcupine grin
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 09:22 PM

yeah
i bring 3 & you have a point there
Posted By: CCTX

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 09:44 PM

If I have no idea on the water clarity or successful patterns--as many as 9

If I've been fishing a lake regularly and know what the fish are doing--4

I can fit six baitcasters easily in the PA12 floor rod holders, so I prefer to take no more than six

More than 6=crate= not good for low bridges and trees

Yes, I hate setting up different techniques on the water (especially Crig)
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 10:05 PM

Three. One with an unweighted fly, one with a weighted fly, and a third with a special fly; depending on the locale, a deep Clouser, a gurgler/topwater fly, or a bendback. Then I have everything covered without switching flies.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 10:19 PM

Three, a 4 weight, one 3 Weight, and a 2 weight. Popper or Gurglar on 4 weight, heavy fly on three weight and Briminator on the 2 weight. All tucked into parallel rod holder.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 10:44 PM

Point. Brad

Posted By: Brad R

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/12/16 11:03 PM

And, sometimes nothing works! Ha! Brad

Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/13/16 02:35 AM

more and more only what I'll need for the trip.. rods and all gear for that matter. Usually a fly rod and a spinning rod but since I know well the areas I fish I only need a couple of flys and few lures that always seem to work. My yak is so much faster when not loaded down and that matters more now that I'm getting old and tired..

The things that matter are food/snacks and water/drinks and a good paddle and a good rod or two and a hat and a easy to wear PFD and a good fishing vest with lots of pockets and some spare line and maybe some bug spray and sunscreen SPF50 and rubber boots or waders and cool looking sunglasses (polarized) and yak wheels and a lighter and a flashlight, a couple of zip ties, duct tape (the good stuff) some extra rope and a very understanding spouse that doesn't make fun of you after the third trip back to the house to get that thing that you forgot again..

Posted By: Bine

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/13/16 03:42 AM

One or two. A light and a medium.

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/13/16 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
If I have no idea on the water clarity or successful patterns--as many as 9

If I've been fishing a lake regularly and know what the fish are doing--4

I can fit six baitcasters easily in the PA12 floor rod holders, so I prefer to take no more than six

More than 6=crate= not good for low bridges and trees

Yes, I hate setting up different techniques on the water (especially Crig)

This is they guy I was telling yall about! And hes not being exactly truthful. The one time I have seen him with less than 10 rods he was upset about it ha ha.

Really I am surprised how few most of yall bring. I thought I was traveling light with 4. I guess wanting that 5th one on board is being greedy.
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/13/16 06:10 PM

Started out rolling with 8, sometimes 9 if a giant swimbait was in the mix. Usually 7 baitcasters and 1 spinning rod.

A few years ago I changed up my game, though, and now I just take 2 flyrods - one with floating line and one with either a sinktip or full sinking line.

I think kayak fishing lends itself well to simplicity, and I far more enjoy my time on the water with less gear onboard.
Posted By: YAKnIT

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/13/16 10:38 PM

Three. Usually one fly rod plus two spin rods or one fly, one spin, and one baitcaster. Depends on where I'm headed and what type of stuff I plan to throw.
Posted By: Burgerboy

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/13/16 11:22 PM

I battle this. I take 4 but only have access to three, with the other in the hull. And I can see where I would like to bump to five, but I historically pack like a girl for anything in life and that is the one thing I am trying not to do as a kayak angler. I am with the man , it is a pain in the neck to tie on different baits, but I am not sure it is worth taking other rods I may never even use.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/14/16 01:44 AM

I always take 5, and I usually use 4. But I never know which 4 I will use. Typically 3 casting and 2 spinning.

On the Lower Mountain Fork, I take 3 spinning rods.

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/14/16 02:05 AM

What I'm taking tomorrow to a lake I haven't fished since early 2000s
One rod each for
Buzzbait
Big topwater
Double fluke
Squarebill
Swim jig
T rig
C rig
Split shot
Spinnerbait
Senko

I'm regretting holding back on a big swimbait
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/14/16 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
What I'm taking tomorrow to a lake I haven't fished since early 2000s
One rod each for
Buzzbait
Big topwater
Double fluke
Squarebill
Swim jig
T rig
C rig
Split shot
Spinnerbait
Senko

I'm regretting holding back on a big swimbait

Hehehe...yeah, I'll have at least a dozen rods in my boat Saturday morning, but I thought this was the kayak forum....

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/14/16 03:43 AM

Ok, so I switched out the crig rod for the big swimbait.
Leaving the big topwater rod at home, but bringing some big wake baits to put on the buzzbait rod if they aren't attacking the buzzbait.

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/14/16 12:29 PM

Good luck Collin! Let us know how your 10 rods work out.

You have to think 10 rods are better than 1!

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/14/16 01:20 PM

Weather delay. Lighting strike indicator signals strike 11miles away
My rods are getting wet
Posted By: ahelton

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/14/16 06:23 PM

I do mostly Hill Country River fishing, so my set up is very light. I bring at most two rods. I have two 5'6" rods with baitcasters attached that I will sometimes bring, but often I bring only a 6' medium heavy rod with attached baitcaster. I've started bringing a spare reel in my dry storage bag just in case, and have plans to purchase a two-piece spinning setup to bring along on all day trips primarily for backup purposes. It would be a nightmare to take anymore than that and you would just about guarantee yourself a broken rod tip or two if you tried taking too much hardware on a river down here in the Hill Country. Between the wind blowing you into a bank or going down rapids with overhanging trees and large bushes, you've got to be on high alert to protect your rod(s).

Obviously, where your fishing and what your fishing for will be a determining factor in what you bring. I suggest going as light as possible. It makes for a much more pleasurable trip as too much gear just gets in the way. Getting to know a body of water really well can help you slim down on the amount of gear you bring since you'll have a good idea of what the fish want. There's an economics principle called the Law of Diminishing Returns. It applies to other areas of life including bass fishing, methinks smile

Happy Fishing!
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/21/16 05:46 AM

I fish out of a Hobie PA14 and can comfortable carry 9 rods and uncomfortably carry about 13. Usually average about 8.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: How many rods do you take? - 10/21/16 07:23 AM

2 or 3, might have a fourth stashed away on a rare occasion. Last time out it was a 4-5wt and a 7-8wt plus a baitcaster with a 1/16 oz jig head. The 4-5wt with a very lightly weighted size 2 dark redfish crack type fly. The 7-8wt with a size 2, heavier hook and weight, redfish crack type fly.

I fish standing up about 90 percent of the time stalking fish in marshes, along shorelines and next to reefs. Paddling my Commander while standing or sitting, 2 fly rods are between my feet and the baitcaster in the shock cord aft of the seat. Most trips the baitcaster never gets used.

Stand up and scan for fish, see fish, paddle into position, stake out or not, stash paddle, pick up rod, fire shot until fish takes offering, gets spooked, or disappears. Repeat. Any more than 3 rods would just be in the way.
Posted By: Thinwater skinner

Re: How many rods do you take? - 12/01/16 08:19 PM

Most of the time 5 baitcasting reels. If freshwater. Two or three spinning if saltwater fishing.
Posted By: HERROUTDOORS

Re: How many rods do you take? - 12/02/16 05:12 AM

4 BC, 2 spinning, one fly.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: How many rods do you take? - 12/02/16 02:14 PM

6 total rods, 3 spin and 3 cast. One of each with popping corks (large and small corks), one of each with tandem paddle tail and split tail rigs, and the last two rods will have top water and slow sinking hard baits or spoon. I am ready for any situation when I pull up to it in my kayak. If you add up all the time you have to rig your line you will find that you spend LOTS of time rigging when you could be fishing instead.
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: How many rods do you take? - 12/04/16 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim Ford
Three. One with an unweighted fly, one with a weighted fly, and a third with a special fly; depending on the locale, a deep Clouser, a gurgler/topwater fly, or a bendback. Then I have everything covered without switching flies.

I'm gonna need a pic of that parallel rod holder
Posted By: tincan86

Re: How many rods do you take? - 12/06/16 06:19 PM

I will usually have 7 with me only have 4 out, three are inside the hull of my predator. I will have a frog, dropshot, crank, fluke, jig, and then a spare all of the above rod and a spinning rod with 8lb mono
Posted By: bradtex

Re: How many rods do you take? - 12/07/16 07:09 PM

Baitcast
Spinning
FLyrod
Posted By: FaithMurr

Re: How many rods do you take? - 12/08/16 07:29 AM

im just getting stared with kayak fishing, for now im using two rods, a baitcaster and a spinning reel. baitcaster is used for heavier lures, spinning for lighter stuff like weightless
Posted By: getbent956

Re: How many rods do you take? - 12/10/16 08:50 PM

I carry 5-6. I have an hcrate with a rod holder set of 3 bolted to it. Works well. Anything with trebles gets put on the rod holder set which I keep closest to the rudder- furthest away from my shirt- don't ask lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum